(Topic ID: 190341)

Bally Vampire restoration (transfusions required :)

By Colsond3

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What should I do with the armor and legs?”

• Get nice, shiny chrome finish 7 votes
    12%
  • Chrome finish for armor and powder coat the legs 1 vote
    2%
  • Powder coat the armor and legs 12 votes
    21%
  • Keep original finish and just get it polished 37 votes
    65%

(57 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

573431A5-C13F-4CE9-9CF6-86C5110C545F (resized).jpeg
0C15C726-B243-47C5-9D25-D191FB86F9DA (resized).jpeg
B5004A34-6854-4F26-B981-7F6FC0CCE61C (resized).jpeg
A3A7905D-708D-405E-AB27-2F8C80D20E50 (resized).jpeg
825F3060-B399-4FB4-9A5E-8E7FA6137AC8 (resized).jpeg
D97654FD-E81D-4195-8F8C-A6D36C6CC239 (resized).jpeg
0EC3DDEC-084C-4542-86EA-B892AD4925BD (resized).jpeg
IMG_6190 (resized).JPG
VampireBlue.jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_20180122_192516332 (resized).jpg
IMG_7141 (resized).JPG
IMG_4744 (resized).JPG
IMG_4743 (resized).JPG
IMG_4704 (resized).JPG
IMG_4606 (resized).JPG
There are 608 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 13.
#51 6 years ago

I have to admit the flippers on Vampire do need a upgrade. The bonus shot has to be just perfect with factory flippers. Any details (part numbers) on the parts you changed. As I mentioned I currently don't have the game in my position. Maybe someone has a previous post on upgrading Bally flippers. I'll look but i'm not very good at searching Pinside. Anyone have pictures before and after the upgrade? I'm going to use pinballplatingandmore.com for my metal work. I meet him at Allentown and again at the Atlanta show. Great guy.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from fingersport:

I have to admit the flippers on Vampire do need a upgrade. The bonus shot has to be just perfect with factory flippers. Any details (part numbers) on the parts you changed. As I mentioned I currently don't have the game in my position. Maybe someone has a previous post on upgrading Bally flippers. I'll look but i'm not very good at searching Pinside. Anyone have pictures before and after the upgrade? I'm going to use pinballplatingandmore.com for my metal work. I meet him at Allentown and again at the Atlanta show. Great guy.

Yeah, Ron is a great guy and does good work. He did the armor for my BSD.

#53 6 years ago

Making some progress...her helping adds time to the process, but I love it and it's priceless.

IMG_0845 (resized).JPGIMG_0845 (resized).JPG

IMG_0847 (resized).JPGIMG_0847 (resized).JPG

IMG_0848 (resized).JPGIMG_0848 (resized).JPG

IMG_0852 (resized).JPGIMG_0852 (resized).JPG

IMG_0855 (resized).JPGIMG_0855 (resized).JPG

IMG_0853 (resized).JPGIMG_0853 (resized).JPG

IMG_0859 (resized).JPGIMG_0859 (resized).JPG

IMG_0861 (resized).JPGIMG_0861 (resized).JPG

IMG_0862 (resized).JPGIMG_0862 (resized).JPG

#54 6 years ago

Be sure and post a picture with the new flipper parts installed. I have to pick up my Vampire. Maybe I can get it over the weekend. The guy that has it is a doctor and a good friend. I need to work around his schedule. Saving lives is more important than pinball.

#55 6 years ago

I think that if you go with gloss or matte you will only have a cosmetic difference, the play should be the same. Flattened clear is the same clear, just with a flattening agent. Also flattened clear cannot be buffed because it becomes glossy, however imperfections aren't as noticeable without the shine.

#56 6 years ago

More help cleaning for clear coat prep...

IMG_0865 (resized).JPGIMG_0865 (resized).JPG

#57 6 years ago

Anybody have a manual for this thing?

#58 6 years ago

If a manual was made for Bally games during this time period I will need one as well.

#59 6 years ago

You have a head start on me and you have a helper.

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from fingersport:

I have to admit the flippers on Vampire do need a upgrade. The bonus shot has to be just perfect with factory flippers. Any details (part numbers) on the parts you changed. As I mentioned I currently don't have the game in my position. Maybe someone has a previous post on upgrading Bally flippers. I'll look but i'm not very good at searching Pinside. Anyone have pictures before and after the upgrade?

Due to the drastically different main frames, I just ended up buying a used set of Classic Bally Solid State flipper assemblies. Such as these from a strikes and spare:

ebay.com link: Bally STRIKES SPARES and others Pinball Machine FLIPPER BRACKET WITH COIL

ebay.com link: Bally STRIKES SPARES and others Pinball Machine FLIPPER BRACKET WITHOUT COIL

Photos of original and replacements.

bally flipper assys (resized).jpgbally flipper assys (resized).jpg

Bally right assy (resized).jpgBally right assy (resized).jpg

#61 6 years ago

If you DO buy those two used assemblies off ebay, you will want to follow up your purchase with two new plunger and links and coil stops and coil sleeves (available from The Pinball Resource and others). Your original flipper coils will be fine.

#62 6 years ago

I have several parts playfields (Bally) so I should be able to find complete assembly's. I thinks the closest to Strikes and Spares is a EK. I think I also have a Night Rider. Changing the hole assembly does make sense if their is enough room.

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from fingersport:

I have several parts playfields (Bally) so I should be able to find complete assembly's. I thinks the closest to Strikes and Spares is a EK. I think I also have a Night Rider. Changing the hole assembly does make sense if their is enough room.

. Even the flipper assemblies from any Bally EM after Wizard will do (I think wizard was the transition game?) Probably the only obstacles you might encounter will be the GI or feature lamp staple down braid wire getting in the way. Overall, the base plates are about the same size. Just drastically different hole patern.

It appears some on the internet have even used WPC assemblies but I believe that would be total overkill. Plus, their foot print is drastically larger.

#64 6 years ago

Since I will be installing the new assemblies on a NOS playfield, moving the GI and anything else in the way should be no problem.

#65 6 years ago

Got busy, but finally finished stripping the playfield for clear coat. Just have to remove the wood siderails. Pretty much all metal removed from cabinet that's getting chromed or powdered.

IMG_0927 (resized).JPGIMG_0927 (resized).JPG

IMG_0923 (resized).JPGIMG_0923 (resized).JPG

IMG_0957 (resized).JPGIMG_0957 (resized).JPG

#66 6 years ago

IMG_1006 (resized).JPGIMG_1006 (resized).JPG

IMG_1005 (resized).JPGIMG_1005 (resized).JPG

IMG_0993 (resized).JPGIMG_0993 (resized).JPG

IMG_0995 (resized).JPGIMG_0995 (resized).JPG

IMG_0996 (resized).JPGIMG_0996 (resized).JPG

IMG_1004 (resized).JPGIMG_1004 (resized).JPG

IMG_1002 (resized).JPGIMG_1002 (resized).JPG

IMG_1003 (resized).JPGIMG_1003 (resized).JPG

#67 6 years ago

Still no leads on a manual?

#68 6 years ago

Your playfield looks pretty good. Just a little dirty. I was wrong before, a manual was made for Vampire. I will check with some of my sources and see if I can come up with a manual. Ill let you know what I find thru this thread. Good luck with your tear down.

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from fingersport:

Your playfield looks pretty good. Just a little dirty. I was wrong before, a manual was made for Vampire. I will check with some of my sources and see if I can come up with a manual. Ill let you know what I find thru this thread. Good luck with your tear down.

Definitely do. I appreciate it. I took a ton of photos and I'm pretty good with putting it back together, just want to check a few things. Half of my back box G.I. is out.

#70 6 years ago

I just talked to a friend who has a restored Vampire. He's going to check on the manual and schematic tomorrow.

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from fingersport:

I just talked to a friend who has a restored Vampire. He's going to check on the manual and schematic tomorrow.

Any luck? Just curious with some of the wiring I saw in the backbox. Have to get my metal and playfield out for finishing / clear, so I have time.

#72 6 years ago

I've got a pdf of the schematic but no manual

#73 6 years ago
Quoted from ssbodyman:

I've got a pdf of the schematic but no manual

Cool, can you shoot it to me? You can just send it to [email protected]

#74 6 years ago

Sure

#75 6 years ago

That's a great looking playfield.

Once the inserts are leveled and you clear, it might be the best out there.

Make SURE you epoxy the inserts from the rear on that one!

#76 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Make SURE you epoxy the inserts from the rear on that one!

LOL...always.

#77 6 years ago

My Friend can't find the keys to Vampire. I'll keep after him. He's a doctor so sometimes he disappears for a couple of days. He did say he will keep looking.

#78 6 years ago

Metal has been dropped off to the coater. Unfortunately, most of it was too scratched up or oxidized to simply polish it. Doing it all in chrome was going to be a ridiculous price, and may have made the game way too "shiny". So I settled on gloss black for the coin door, and the remaining metal components / inserts on the coin door will be chromed, including the coin returns, as well as the PF ball guides and gates. The remainder of the brackets, siderails, legs, LD bar and other components will be getting coated in Illusion Cherry.

Even though I was trying to stay away from reds, light blue armor or even green (pulling colors from the cabinet) just seemed like they would be a bit much. This red should pull from the reds in the backglass and plastics nicely, at least IMO, and it's dark enough that it won't be loud. We tried black, but it just seemed too dark and didn't really match anything other than the outlines on the side / front cab art.

Vamp powder (resized).JPGVamp powder (resized).JPG

#79 6 years ago

There is so little red in the playfield art I think doing the armor etc. in red will really look nice. If you haven't decided already, I would even go with Translucent red Thumper Bumper Caps! Just know that you will want to use the more contemporary body to go with the newer style cap. Perhaps a customer Bumper Decal is in order?

That Candy Red Vein would have looked killer on the coin door and frame!

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Perhaps a customer Bumper Decal is in order?
That Candy Red Vein would have looked killer on the coin door and frame!

Thanks...that's what I was thinking. After looking, pulling the red from the backglass straight down the sides made the most sense for the options I was left with. And there are just hints on the PF, so it wasn't overkill. And custom bumper decals might be in order. I actually had one on there from my Stern Drac with the skull on it pre-resto.

The Vein would have looked good and I actually considered it...great minds think alike!! But it seemed like there was too much red when he held up the swatch, and the black kept more consistent with the cabinet art. The red legs will break that up nice and tie it all together...at least in my mind. Hopefully dropping the playfield off this weekend for the clear treatment.

On to the least fun part...the cabinet work.

#81 6 years ago

Lots of Bleeding fonts for "100 points when lit"

http://www.fontspace.com/category/blood

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Lots of Bleeding fonts for "100 points when lit"

Awesome. Thanks.

#83 6 years ago

Playfield delivered to sohchx for touch ups, insert leveling and clear coat today. Super amped and want to get this thing done!! Hoping to have the metal and PF back within a couple weeks.

IMG_1030 (resized).JPGIMG_1030 (resized).JPG

IMG_1032 (resized).JPGIMG_1032 (resized).JPG

#84 6 years ago

Dropping this metal off to get chromed Monday.

IMG_1059 (resized).JPGIMG_1059 (resized).JPG

#85 6 years ago

I'm on it!!! I got other fields curing so I had time to start. You had a loose insert so I popped that, clean it and the hole up and epoxied it. It's all clean and sanded. Leveling inserts and touching up now. The yellowing has really posed a challenge in terms of matching up colors. Only red and green are left to do.

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

I'm on it!!! I got other fields curing so I had time to start. You had a loose insert so I popped that, clean it and the hole up and epoxied it. It's all clean and sanded. Leveling inserts and touching up now. The yellowing has really posed a challenge in terms of matching up colors. Only red and green are left to do.

You are the man!! Awesome. Thanks for taking care of the insert. Didn't think you'd be getting to it for at least a little while.

Great Pinsider and asset to the hobby.... and definitely good to finally meet you in person. Feel free to post any pics as you go along.

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

You are the man!! Awesome. Thanks for taking care of the insert. Didn't think you'd be getting to it for at least a little while.
Great Pinsider and asset to the hobby.... and definitely good to finally meet you in person. Feel free to post any pics as you go along.

Will do!!!

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from fingersport:

My Friend can't find the keys to Vampire. I'll keep after him. He's a doctor so sometimes he disappears for a couple of days. He did say he will keep looking.

Any luck on the manual?

#89 6 years ago

Ill text him again today. He was off work Monday and said he would check for me. I may have to run down and pick it up if he found it. But that's no problem he's only about 50 miles away and I still need to pickup my machine. My playfield from Ron Krusman should be here any day now. I need the machines playfield to start the dimpling process on the NOS playfield.

#90 6 years ago

Starting the cab work in the next few days...progress was halted due to travel / partying at Pintastic. And heard from sohchx tonight...touch ups on the PF are nearly done and the inserts almost leveled, clearcoat close to being started. Can't wait to get that thing back, and should be hearing from the powder coater by next week.

#91 6 years ago

Great thread for a great looking machine! I may have to add one of these to my wish list. I'm not an EM guy, but man this one is pretty sweet for an EM!
I'll be following this to see how your cab work comes out.

#92 6 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Great thread for a great looking machine! I may have to add one of these to my wish list. I'm not an EM guy, but man this one is pretty sweet for an EM!
I'll be following this to see how your cab work comes out.

Very cool, thanks. It is a great machine with some great artwork, and not so easy to find.

#93 6 years ago

Got some metal back from the powder coater today. Looks great!

IMG_1194 (resized).JPGIMG_1194 (resized).JPG

IMG_1197 (resized).JPGIMG_1197 (resized).JPG

IMG_1196 (resized).JPGIMG_1196 (resized).JPG

#94 6 years ago

That red really came out nice! Why am I craving a steak now, Rare.

#95 6 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

That red really came out nice! Why am I craving a steak now, Rare.

Haha. Very happy with it. I gave them a photo of the backglass, so they made it the illusion cherry with speckles of metallic and black in the undertone. Almost matches the red on the plastics and the BG perfectly.

#96 6 years ago

Don't think these PF glass channel rubbers have been cleaned since 1971 either (top shown pre-cleaning for comparison). A little step…but every step is a step right?

IMG_1204 (resized).JPGIMG_1204 (resized).JPG

#97 6 years ago

And Stones threw this up in the games on TV thread. Had to repost it here. American Graffiti. Vampire! Now I have to go back and watch the movie again.

IMG_1202 (resized).PNGIMG_1202 (resized).PNG

#98 6 years ago

I told people in another topic that Vampire was in this scene in American Graffiti and they made the same comment. This is my favorite movie from the 70's. When I was in high school 70-73 on Omaha we has a strip that we cruised, Dodge Street, 72nd to 84th street and then back. Over and over again at 20mph. McDonalds was the parking lot at on end, Crossroads Mall at the other end. I drove a gold 71 Firebird with the 8 track playing, playing songs like "Jimmy don't lose that number" "American Pie" and "Nights in white satin". Almost forgot " Layla and " " Long cool woman in a black dress". Damn those were some good times.

#99 6 years ago

By the way I just noticed, I own all of the games in the background. Even the Upper Deck behind one of the Pharaohs. Notice actor Jerry Reed in the doorway at the far right. That's a very young Richard Dreyfuss getting ready to break into one of the pinball machines. He was forced to by the Pharaohs. Lots of other TV and movie star's got their big break in this movie. If you haven't seen it make it a point to watch it with someone from that generation. This also proved that George Lucas was a genius. As he made this movie a little movie was rolling around in his head. Maybe you heard of it. "Star Wars". Man I can get off topic. Sorry.

#100 6 years ago
Quoted from fingersport:

I told people in another topic that Vampire was in this scene in American Graffiti and they made the same comment. This is my favorite movie from the 70's. When I was in high school 70-73 on Omaha we has a strip that we cruised, Dodge Street, 72nd to 84th street and then back. Over and over again at 20mph. McDonalds was the parking lot at on end, Crossroads Mall at the other end. I drove a gold 71 Firebird with the 8 track playing, playing songs like "Jimmy don't lose that number" "American Pie" and "Nights in white satin". Almost forgot " Layla and " " Long cool woman in a black dress". Damn those were some good times.

Sounds like good times, and all good tunes. Every time I hear Layla anymore all I think of is Good Fellas when they're just killing everybody off at the end to tie up loose ends.

There are 608 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-vampire-restoration-input-suggestions-welcome/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.