Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by BigAl56
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I brought a Vector back to life and we have been playing it quite a bit. This machine has quite a bit of playfield wear, but is totally complete. I can't stand the upper flipper power for the X-Y-Z targets. It has the AQ-25-500/34-4500 coil installed, which is what the game is supposed to have installed. I even adjusted the EOS to cut power, but the ball still smashes targets, bounces off the glass and has gotten stuck on top of plastics.

What about a AQ-26-600/34-4500 coil? The primary coil has a 5 ohm rated resistance instead of 3 ohms. I'm an audio guy and totally understand dB and log math, but don't have enough experience with flipper coils to know how much [less] power a 5 ohm Vs a 3 ohm.

Anyone have any suggestions?

#2 3 years ago

I understand exactly what you mean, although i have a 2" flipper up top.

Are you using a 2" or 3" ?

Not that it matters, well it does a little, but to drop the power of the flipper you don't need to put in a different coil.

You can put a low ohm 5W ceramic resistor in the EOS circuit.
This way for a low cost you can try different values using alligator clip leads until you are happy. Try maybe 1.5ohm to start.

So attach a resistor of your choice to the middle lug of the flipper coil which joins to the EOS.
The 'flip' winding now has a voltage drop across it reducing the voltage at the coil.

You can remove one wire entirely, or desolder one end of the wire going from the middle lug to the EOS and solder in the resistor.

Hope this makes sense.

#3 3 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I have the 2 inch flipper installed. There are certain things I like about the challenge of the 2 inch flipper, but I can see why the longer flipper makes sense. So many times the ball is just rolling past the 2 inch and you can't hit it. But you would be able to reach with the longer flipper.

Using resistors makes total sense. I have an AQ-25-500 / 34-4500 with a broken hold winding. I actually put the power winding in series with the existing flipper AQ-25-500 / 34-4500 power widing (and moved the diode so it was across both coils that are now in series). My resistance this way is 6.2 ohms (each coil was around 3.1 ohms). So I'm assuming I cut the power in half by doubling the resistance. It's much better, but maybe a bit weak. That's why I'm thinking the AQ-26-600 would be a good choice since that is rate at 5 ohms.

I like your idea. But with all the flipping in the game, that resistor is going to get HOT. Even high wattage. I'll dig around and see what I have.

#4 3 years ago

I contacted IPDB trying to find out what the game initially came out with?

Only recently did i notice that the rubber kit states 3 x 3 inch flipper rubbers, to me this suggests it came out with a 3" up top.

But having a 3" has it's pros and cons.

The tip of the longer flipper can get in the way of a ramp shot, but makes for easier hitting of X,Y & Z drops.

You could go 10 watt, but with it just hanging, not putting any strain on the flipper coil lug nor EOS lug, there is plenty space/air around it.
I find i don't get much time up top anyway ;(

You sound like you know your stuff and i'm sure you'll sort it out.

I had to add a resistor to the 'LOCK' kickout holes as when it kicked the ball out, the ball hit the glass.
I checked all the mechanical side of it and it appeared fine.......got me thinking now to remove the resistor and loosen the spring ? ......one day.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

I contacted IPDB trying to find out what the game initially came out with?

There is a comment on the IPDB Vector entry that Greg Kmiec included a small flipper on the original playfield design. The 3 Vectors I've had at home have all had large flipper at this position but Imo certainly small works better if only aesthetically.

#6 3 years ago

You'll get less power with a 2-inch flipper. You can try using the higher resistance coil too. Targets breaking off from too much flipper power has always been an issue with this game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
$ 44.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 90.00
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-upper-flipper-coil-suggestions-vector and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.