• 15 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Coyote
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hi!
My name is Carlos, I'm from Spain and I own a really cool Bally Twilight Zone, I got it restored but a few days my flippers stopped working all of a sudden. I'm trying to figure out the problem so I made some tests (if I did them right). Here's an explanation:

WHAT HAPPENED: Both down flippers stopped working suddenly. One day I tried to turn on the machine and those weren't working.

TESTS DONE: I've made a flipper test on the machine, revised the fuses, restore factory settings, connector test and relay test.

RESULTS OBTAINED: The flipper test of the machine doesn't enable the flippers, the fuses are okay, the connectors of the board are okay and the factory restoration didn't help.

Hope you can help me

#2 4 years ago

Have you carefully checked all the ribbon cables? all it takes is one pin bent on the board and it will not work.

Also, are the ribbon cables original, if so you should order a new set, those would be over 20 years old now.

When you say revised the fuses, did you replace them, or just check them, and if you did, did you use a meter to test them?

So if you go into the coil test via the coin door buttons, they still don't work? Remember to push in the switch inside the coin door when testing coils, otherwise high voltage is disabled.

#3 4 years ago

Switch Edge Test - do both optos on both left and right flipper button opto work ?

LTG : )™

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

Have you carefully checked all the ribbon cables? all it takes is one pin bent on the board and it will not work.
Also, are the ribbon cables original, if so you should order a new set, those would be over 20 years old now.
When you say revised the fuses, did you replace them, or just check them, and if you did, did you use a meter to test them?
So if you go into the coil test via the coin door buttons, they still don't work? Remember to push in the switch inside the coin door when testing coils, otherwise high voltage is disabled.

Hi, I used a tester to check the fuses, I didn't replace them.
The weird part is that both flippers stopped working at the same time.
I don't know what do you mean as "coil test".

Thanks in advance

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Switch Edge Test - do both optos on both left and right flipper button opto work ?

What do you mean with that?

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from cxam:

What do you mean with that?

Your flipper buttons when pushed in break the beam on optos on opto boards inside the cabinet.

Do your flipper button opto switches work ?

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Your flipper buttons when pushed in break the beam on optos on opto boards inside the cabinet.
Do your flipper button opto switches work ?

Yeah, they actually enable the upper flippers, but the lower ones stay freezed.

#8 4 years ago

If you go into the test menu I believe it is option 4 for solenoid test, what this test does is fire up each coil, I just checked on my Demolition man, the flippers were not in the solenoid test, but option 12 was specific for flippers,

The first option is the switch test, what you do there is hit enter, then you can test all your switches, in your case I would put it in switch test mode then press the flipper buttons, you can also leave it in this mode, lift the playfield and just use a flat item to put between the opto's that are attached to the cabinet, there is a plastic piece in there that pushes in when you hit the flipper buttons...

Also, when in switch test, see if any other opto's are not working, I cannot remember where optos were on TZ, maybe on the magnet playfield?

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

If you go into the test menu I believe it is option 4 for solenoid test, what this test does is fire up each coil, I just checked on my Demolition man, the flippers were not in the solenoid test, but option 12 was specific for flippers,
The first option is the switch test, what you do there is hit enter, then you can test all your switches, in your case I would put it in switch test mode then press the flipper buttons, you can also leave it in this mode, lift the playfield and just use a flat item to put between the opto's that are attached to the cabinet, there is a plastic piece in there that pushes in when you hit the flipper buttons...
Also, when in switch test, see if any other opto's are not working, I cannot remember where optos were on TZ, maybe on the magnet playfield?

Hi,
The optos are ok. When I test the flippers with test nº12 they don't do anything but on the initial test report it says "R. FLIP EOS" and "L. FLIP EOS".

The switch test says:
1.R.FLIPPER EOS: T3 F1 OPEN
2.R FLIPPER BUTTON: T3 F2 OPEN
3.L. FLIPPER EOS: T3 F3 OPEN
4.L FLIPPER BUTTON: T3 F4 OPEN

1 week later
#10 4 years ago

Ok, so you have EOS errors, if you put the game in test mode, manually push either flipper up and see if the EOS shows on the screen (end of stroke), you could have a wire off one of the leaf switches, if you look underneath the playfield you will see the paw that the flipper shaft goes into to, there is a small metal arm on this paw, when the flipper is raised the arm closes the 2 leaf switch telling the computer the flipper has gone far enough, and to change the power to holding power instead of flipper hitting the ball power. If they are not reading that would be your problem

4 years later
#11 2 days ago

Hello, I am having a similar problem on my TZ. One day both lower flippers stopped working at the same time. Fuses don't look blown and upper flippers work. In test mode the upper flippers work but lower flippers again don't fire during the test. Any ideas? Thanks. Twilight Zone

#12 2 days ago

Fuses do not always look blown I would first check the continuity on the fuses then I would check the flipper eos switches and make sure they they are not in the wrong placement like closed if they are supposed to be open. Then check the optos on the opto boards and makes sure they are not broken in the test menu switch edges then the check you flipper troninics board In the head reseat the connectors and look or test for bad components.

Quoted from elguanaco:

Hello, I am having a similar problem on my TZ. One day both lower flippers stopped working at the same time. Fuses don't look blown and upper flippers work. In test mode the upper flippers work but lower flippers again don't fire during the test. Any ideas? Thanks. Twilight Zone

#13 2 days ago
Quoted from elguanaco:

Ideas? Yes - replace the fuses.

#14 2 days ago
Quoted from elguanaco:

I would check the opto switches/connectors... cold solder joints.
In one case I had to make an auxiliary transistor to get the input signal
as close as possible to zero volts to get the flippers to work.
I believe now, they have new designed replacement opto boards for the flippers.

#15 1 day ago

Not a flipper board if the coils don't flip in test mode.

If it's not the fuses, then likely it's a +50v issue between Fliptronucs board and coils.

Also, talk about necrothread!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside