IMG_2186 (resized).JPG
IMG_2185 (resized).JPG
IMG_2180 (resized).JPG
IMG_2178 (resized).JPG
IMG_2176 (resized).JPG
IMG_2154 (resized).JPG
IMG_2153 (resized).JPG

#1 3 years ago

Working on restoring a Truck Stop for a client. Shopped it, replaced the cabinet decals, replaced all the fuses, replaced the flipper coils, installed rebuild kit, the works. All the normal stuff. Anyway, after finishing up, I played two complete games with no issues. Turned the machine off to angle and level it. Turned it back on and played one last game. Unfortunately, all of a sudden it wouldn't stop ejecting balls into the shooter lane and none of the coils were working. After roughly 30 seconds or so of the balls trying to be kicked into the shooter lane, it stops and I get a "Check FU-1 0A Field Fuse." If I unplug the connector at the opto board while the balls are constantly trying to kick into the shooter lane, it stops and all the coils energize and the game then plays like normal. Any ideas? I already reflowed both of the opto boards. The just started all of a sudden. I'm at a loss. Trying to get this fixed up. Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks - Mike.

IMG_2153 (resized).JPGIMG_2154 (resized).JPG
#2 3 years ago

Hmmm, can you get into the service mode (Game Checkup) using the coin door credit button and flippers? I would want to run a switch test first.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Zenomorp:

Working on restoring a Truck Stop for a client. Shopped it, replaced the cabinet decals, replaced all the fuses, replaced the flipper coils, installed rebuild kit, the works. All the normal stuff. Anyway, after finishing up, I played two complete games with no issues. Turned the machine off to angle and level it. Turned it back on and played one last game. Unfortunately, all of a sudden it wouldn't stop ejecting balls into the shooter lane and none of the coils were working. After roughly 30 seconds or so of the balls trying to be kicked into the shooter lane, it stops and I get a "Check FU-1 0A Field Fuse." If I unplug the connector at the opto board while the balls are constantly trying to kick into the shooter lane, it stops and all the coils energize and the game then plays like normal. Any ideas? I already reflowed both of the opto boards. The just started all of a sudden. I'm at a loss. Trying to get this fixed up. Any help would be appreciated.

You should get rid of the crimped connectors that are inline on the connectors to the opto board (and repin those connectors as well) to eliminate that future-causing issue, or possibly the cause of the issue you're seeing now. Hacks like this are never a good thing.

The Fuse message comes up when the game detects that a solenoid should be firing, and it tries several times (hence why its ejecting balls into the shooter lane) and it's not seeing a change in the behavior that it's trying to correct by firing the solenoid - in this case, clearly the opto board is not working correctly and the game is trying to 'fix' it by ejecting the balls.

The opto board and its related circuitry is hosed here - check the other end of the chain as well if truck stop uses the same IDC .100 connectors as Atlantis does, they are full of issues with them not making good contact and pulling out of their pins. It is most likely connector related since it worked fine a few minutes prior.

#4 3 years ago

Thank you.

#5 3 years ago

FIXED. Bad connection at the MPU. One of the wires corresponding to the through optos was loose in the connector at the MPU. Removed it from the connector, cut off the original end, and reinstalled it in the connector teeth. Works like a champ now. Thanks for all the suggestions. Both the client's machines are all fixed up now and working great! South Park got a full shop, LEDs, deep clean, new balls, new fuses, angled, leveled, ColorDMD, the works. Truck Stop received the same except no LEDs and all new artwork...

IMG_2176 (resized).JPGIMG_2178 (resized).JPGIMG_2180 (resized).JPGIMG_2185 (resized).JPGIMG_2186 (resized).JPGIMG_2187 (resized).JPGIMG_2188 (resized).JPGIMG_2189 (resized).JPGIMG_2190 (resized).JPGIMG_2193 (resized).JPG

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside