(Topic ID: 69883)

Bally Transparent Targets - What machines used them?

By meSz

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 144 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by pinster68
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_49411.jpg
IMG_2407.jpg
IMG_6109.jpg
Target Faces.jpg
143418-i.jpg
image-712.jpg
image-156.jpg
image-971.jpg
3-21-2014 2-47-34 PM.jpg
Wico.jpg
image-18.jpg
image-546.jpg
image-650.jpg
2-13-2014 12-50-28 AM.png
targets.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Aladdin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 10 years ago

Here's a link to replacement targets, but they are solid in color. Why couldn't they just load the existing mold with transparent plastic and make a few red, orange, green, blue, etc? It's the same target? Unless of course these are the last of the NOS targets.
http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TG-C1023-4

If anyone knows anyone at BAA, could they ask this question? Thanks!

#11 10 years ago

VID, I wish I had that talent to vector or draw. I can see that it would be easy to take the plans to a local Denver plastic shop and just have them cut some.

#14 10 years ago

A buddy of mine is drawing these up for me today. I just need to figure out how/where to buy plastic sheets and have them cut. I've not done this before. Are we talking ABS, Plexi, Styrene?
Any suggested sources?

Found this place:
http://www.coloradoplastics.com/retail/
and this:
https://www.plasticareinc.com/

Thanks!

#15 10 years ago

Vanhos-
We've got to do this for our Elektra, Medusa brethren! We must push forward and acquire the Unobtainium! They can take our land, but they can't take our freeeedommm!

#17 10 years ago

meSz-
Can you send me the measurements on the square target and a photo. Try to keep in in CM. I'll assume it's the same thickness.

Elektra has 18 targets, 17 of which seem to be translucent. (orange, blue, green, red). I think #18 is white (lower pf)

Hellfire said that the early Elektras were the ones with these targets.

#26 10 years ago

"Hellfire correct me if I am wrong, the design is the same as the green round ones but instead of being round it's a 1" square red target.

Looking at your 1st photo, I agree that the square is at 2.5CM or 1".

#30 10 years ago

My plan is to make some of the round ones in fluorescent colors (orange, red, blue and green).
I like Hellfire's UV makeover idea.
I will call this UV Reactive Special Run of Targets, the "LE" version

#31 10 years ago

My buddy just made the drawings. Since I'm going to get these cut, I made the target stem flat.

2-13-2014 12-50-28 AM.png2-13-2014 12-50-28 AM.png

3 weeks later
#35 10 years ago

Update-
I just went to a plastics fabricator yesterday. Since we are working with Laser Cutting or CNC, I just asked that the targets be as thick as the thickest part. (the round part-if that makes sense)
I might need to sand down the bottom of the targets where it fits into the switch. (where the holes are)

I did ask them to make Red Square ones as well. I have no idea on the cost yet.

Stay tuned!

#38 10 years ago

I'm thinking I'm going to go fluorescent on the Green and Orange. I know for Elektra, having Bright Orange on the lower PF will enhance the game's looks.

#42 10 years ago

I do plan on making enough for all of us!
Both Medusa and Elektra owners. I still don't know if Vector uses these and what color?

#44 10 years ago

OK, here's the costs:
"We can do those in any of the colors you looked at for $3.50 / part (at a quantity of 100 - 150).
The square target, if you already have the CAD drawing, would be the same price."

So now I have to figure out how many to order of each color.

in the translucent targets, Elektra uses:
6 orange
5 blue
3 green
3 red

Medusa uses:
1 square red
2 round green

Thoughts on how many of each color and square ones? Do I buy $400 worth and sell the batch to an online pinball parts supplier?

#47 10 years ago

Does anyone know what type of plastic the originals were made of?
Polypropylene?

#57 10 years ago

Thanks Vid for the CNC Map. That might make this a whole lot cheaper to do in mass quantity.

My issue now is the type of plastic used. I asked the fabricator if they could make a few that I could test out, but of course they're not in for the small jobs.
Since the targets will be thicker than the originals at the base, I think this will make them stronger, but I can't rely on "I think". What I was looking to do is order enough for several "sets" and sell them to cover my costs. What I can't have happen is for those targets to just explode on impact! I wouldn't be very popular!

I have both the round and square drawn up if anyone wants the files. The drawings aren't as detailed as they are intended for cutting and not a mold injection.

1 week later
#65 10 years ago

I got some samples of the fluorescent acrylic colors. They are VERY reactive to UV. Now I'm going to cut one down and test the strength of the plastic. Not sure the best way to do that, but I figured if I drop a ball on the target as it lays on a mousepad, should give me decent idea.3-21-2014 2-47-34 PM.jpg3-21-2014 2-47-34 PM.jpg

#70 10 years ago

I can't seem to find Lexan sheets in transparent colors.

#71 10 years ago

Prototype target made. (Not the best work I know!)

Test subject will be placed into a 1989 Data East PB 35th for blast testing.
Good luck and Godspeed!
image-971.jpgimage-971.jpg

#74 10 years ago

Now were talking Captn'
Thanks for the help! We could send your friend the sheets of plastic and the measurements.

Let's see how my scientific testing goes!

Cheers!

#76 10 years ago

Does anyone know where to get "softer" or Lexan sheets in transparent colors?

#77 10 years ago

The results are in, (that didn't take long!)
The target face took a beating, it was the stem that broke.
I wanted this to work so bad, but I'm glad I didn't order 300+ of these.

Now to find colored Lexan or more flexible colored plastic.

image-156.jpgimage-156.jpg

image-712.jpgimage-712.jpg
#79 10 years ago

When I get a chance Captn', I'll fwd you my drawings for both the round and square targets.

Let's see where your contacts take us.

Thanks!

1 year later
#114 8 years ago

Way to go Bob! I'm in for all the round colors.

I'd be curious how you found the right colors in the right type of plastic.

#116 8 years ago

@Bob,
What kind of plastic are you using? If Acrylic, look at my test results earlier in this thread. My makeshift target cracked quickly.

#121 8 years ago

Dang, they look nice. Injection mold?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 139.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

£ 195.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Point, UT

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Aladdin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-transparent-targets-what-machines-used-them?tu=Aladdin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.