(Topic ID: 69883)

Bally Transparent Targets - What machines used them?

By meSz

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 144 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by pinster68
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_49411.jpg
IMG_2407.jpg
IMG_6109.jpg
Target Faces.jpg
143418-i.jpg
image-712.jpg
image-156.jpg
image-971.jpg
3-21-2014 2-47-34 PM.jpg
Wico.jpg
image-18.jpg
image-546.jpg
image-650.jpg
2-13-2014 12-50-28 AM.png
targets.jpg
There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 9 years ago

I'm thinking $3.50 ea plus shipping.

#102 9 years ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

I'm thinking $3.50 ea plus shipping.

I would certainly buy several so I have backups in case of breakage!

I actually looked into having molds made for the round and square ones (Medusa) but to your point the mold is expensive and being that theses weren't used in a lot of machines there is not a big demand for them!

#103 9 years ago

Not sure BobLangelius if you saw the other post that talked about these targets but there is a picture of the round targets.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medusa-owners-club

Here is the pic....

143418-i.jpg143418-i.jpg
#104 9 years ago

meSz,
Thanks for the photo. I missed the other thread. Pinside moves too fast for me to keep up.

Yeah i guess if i want some samples I'm going to have to tear apart my Elektra.

#105 9 years ago

Yeah i guess if i want some samples I'm going to have to tear apart my Elektra.

Yeah and unfortunately, to my knowledge, the red transparent square target was only used in the Medusa machine!

#106 9 years ago

It might be easier/cheaper to just machine 1" round or square target faces from colored transparent sheet plastic.

Pop rivet it to any conventional stand up target switch and you have a 90% accurate replacement.

Anyone with a CNC router could knock out 100s of these per hour.

Target Faces.jpgTarget Faces.jpg

#107 9 years ago

Vid,
Yeah i hear you, and 1/8" acrylic, which is easier to source in trans colors might be ok...

So far i have a 2 cavity tool quote at $ 1750 and parts at $.11ea for 1000 of each color (should be able to mix/match round vs. square). I think it might take forever to sell 4000 targets.

I think the problem is going to be that over the years so many of the targets have been changed to different opaque types that anyone who wants to put in the originals will have to get all new switches/bracketry.

and not one person has shown any interest in helping me get color samples. So i think the demand is quite low. at 3.50 ea i have to sell 625 to break even.

#108 9 years ago

We would probably have to use something like PETG or Polycarbonate, as Acrylic is too brittle for balls to crash into it?

#109 9 years ago

Vid,
I'm not sure of your question. if you are talking about material for the discs that would be riveted on, yes,, PC (polycarbonate) would be better, but i think you will have a tougher time finding the right colors in Sheet PC. Acrylic in 1/8 is easier to find in the right colors, but yes, it is more brittle. PETG, may come in translucent colors, i don't know.

If you are talking about the molded parts i was pricing i was going to get them in color matched PC. Thus the 1000 piece minimums. nobody wants to do a color match for a smaller batch.

#110 9 years ago

Vid,
Yeah i hear you, and 1/8" acrylic, which is easier to source in trans colors might be ok...
So far i have a 2 cavity tool quote at $ 1750 and parts at $.11ea for 1000 of each color (should be able to mix/match round vs. square). I think it might take forever to sell 4000 targets.
I think the problem is going to be that over the years so many of the targets have been changed to different opaque types that anyone who wants to put in the originals will have to get all new switches/bracketry.
and not one person has shown any interest in helping me get color samples. So i think the demand is quite low. at 3.50 ea i have to sell 625 to break even.

Unfortunately Bob I dont have samples that I could give you or even loan you to use. At $3.50 I would certainly be in for 10 of the round targets and at least 5 of the square. I know of another person that would buy these as well but to sale 625 that is tough to say. The three machines that I know that used these were not big production ran machines. There were a total of 9700 machines produced for three machines.

#111 9 years ago

Acrylic in 1/8 is easier to find in the right colors, but yes, it is more brittle. PETG, may come in translucent colors, i don't know.

I would just fear that the Acrylic would get destroyed in a hurry.

PETG does come in colors, but only about 8 choices that I've ever seen.

2 months later
#112 8 years ago

Ok guys,
I will be moving forward with this project. Trying to think about how to break out my colors/ shapes.

So far I'm heading towards:
900 Amber Round
100 Amber Square
900 Green Round
100 GreenSqaure
900 Blue Round
100 Blue Square
900 Red Round
300 Red Square

I'm just getting 100ea of the square ones to fool around with.

Any comments?

Bob

#113 8 years ago

Any comments? Bob

Yes, put me down for 5 of the amber squares and 8 of the green rounds!

#114 8 years ago

Way to go Bob! I'm in for all the round colors.

I'd be curious how you found the right colors in the right type of plastic.

#115 8 years ago
Quoted from Aladdin:

Way to go Bob! I'm in for all the round colors.
I'd be curious how you found the right colors in the right type of plastic.

I have an old blue and red, I'm gonna match green to other trans green targets i have and amber i'll match to some amber star posts i have.

Bob

#116 8 years ago

@Bob,
What kind of plastic are you using? If Acrylic, look at my test results earlier in this thread. My makeshift target cracked quickly.

#118 8 years ago

Watching

#119 8 years ago

watching..would be great to make medusa 'right' again

#120 8 years ago

There's a turn around, Vid watching what I'm doing....

Ok so here you go then, First shots....

IMG_6109.jpgIMG_6109.jpg
#121 8 years ago

Dang, they look nice. Injection mold?

#122 8 years ago

Yes. Working on some tweaks to the tooling and color match now.

#123 8 years ago

I would be in for 100 count of various types. Would use on alot of my classic games instead of what is on the current game. Blues and Reds the most. Mostly round but some square.

You can bank on it.

#124 8 years ago

slightly off topic but any chance of doing transparent colored bally drop targets? for say..Elektra

#125 8 years ago

I had someone working on this project, and nothing produced from it.

#126 8 years ago

I'm not sure, but i would think that there is probably tooling available for that part.

You would need to find the vendor making it now and convince them too run some in Tinted Polycarbonate. Shrink might be slightly different (I'm not sure what the current material is).

The problem is you need to run off enough parts to justify making a color match.

I know i won't be pursuing drop targets anytime soon....

Bob

#127 8 years ago

I have samples of the red, amber, green and blue targets if you need to color match

#128 8 years ago
Quoted from Hellfire:

I have samples of the red, amber, green and blue targets if you need to color match

Thanks, I sent you a PM.

Bob

2 months later
#129 8 years ago

Hello All,
I am ready to start shipping the repro targets. The targets are similar to the original translucent targets with the added benefit of being made from a more impact resistant material (they are made from Polycarbonate). The targets are available in four colors (Red, Blue, Green, Amber). They are available in either round or square configurations.

Pricing is $3.50 ea, plus shipping, via Paypal.

Parts should ship within 3 days of receipt of payment. Currently we are shipping only to the US, Canada, Australia via USPS First Class Mail. Shipping to other countries on a case by case basis. (Meaning I have to investigate it)

Returns – If you are not happy with the product, you may return the product for a refund of your purchase price. Not including shipping. Shipping both ways is the responsibility of the purchaser.

Discounts – if you order more than 10 targets we will give a 10% discount on the order.

6.35% Sales Tax- to be charged on all orders shipped to CT.

Please get in touch with me through my email [email protected]. Please include your Name, Shipping address, PayPal email address, and the specifics of what you would like to order. I will create a PayPal invoice for you to pay.

Thanks,
Bob

IMG_2407.jpgIMG_2407.jpg

#130 8 years ago

All, buy with confidence! I already received a set, for my Medusa, from Bob and they're very nice (picture below).

Bob, thanks again for bring these to fruition!!!

IMG_49411.jpgIMG_49411.jpg

#131 8 years ago

I am ready to start shipping the repro targets.

Suggestion: Start a new for sale thread (using the marketplace system so the mods don't lock it). I wasn't following this thread, but someone linked it in the Medusa thread. A lot of people will have no idea that you have something this cool buried on page 3.

#132 8 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. I did. I think....

#133 8 years ago

Email sent Bob

#134 8 years ago

AWESOME! I don't have either of these games but I may in the future.

I see the ad in the market place but it is not showing up in the forum. So there is a check box you didn't click. I would also post this under "New Parts Announcements" subforum.

Any chance you could make Gameplan drop targets?

#135 8 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

AWESOME! I don't have either of these games but I may in the future.

I just put in an order for Medusa targets, and I don't even own the game. I'm looking for one, so seemed smart to stockpile a couple sets.

#136 8 years ago

I fixed it so your ad will show up in the Forum.

#138 8 years ago

I wonder if these will work in a Stern Meteor? I am not sure if the targets are the same.

#140 8 years ago

Yeah i finally figured how to post to my website

#141 8 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

I wonder if these will work in a Stern Meteor? I am not sure if the targets are the same.

I'm not really familiar with he Stern Meteor, but if it is a riveted type target it will require a different switch behind it.
Basically these targets are sandwiched onto the switch stack at the bottom via the two screws. there were some cheap targets on Marco that might make a decent replacement, but i don't see them anymore. They were similar to these, but round white, and cheaper:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/22-1034-01

Bob

3 months later
#142 8 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

All, buy with confidence! I already received a set, for my Medusa, from Bob and they're very nice (picture below).

Looks great, a big thanks to Bob also.
I wonder if you could please advise on the best way of installing them. It looks like you have to remove the light board at the back at the least. I'm wondering if you need to remove the entire playfield?

1 month later
#143 8 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Looks great, a big thanks to Bob also.
I wonder if you could please advise on the best way of installing them. It looks like you have to remove the light board at the back at the least. I'm wondering if you need to remove the entire playfield?

I pulled the pf forward and worked from the backside. Not too difficult to do but a little time consuming!

8 months later
#144 7 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Man I gotta pay attention more. I totally missed this development. My order just went in. They look fantastic on the Medusa. I'm looking forward to swapping my opaque ones out.

Thanks in advance Bob!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

2,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Point, UT
$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 139.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

£ 195.00
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 44.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-transparent-targets-what-machines-used-them/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.