(Topic ID: 69883)

Bally Transparent Targets - What machines used them?

By meSz

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 144 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by pinster68
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_49411.jpg
IMG_2407.jpg
IMG_6109.jpg
Target Faces.jpg
143418-i.jpg
image-712.jpg
image-156.jpg
image-971.jpg
3-21-2014 2-47-34 PM.jpg
Wico.jpg
image-18.jpg
image-546.jpg
image-650.jpg
2-13-2014 12-50-28 AM.png
targets.jpg
There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 10 years ago

Someone must have a mold or the mold I dont know about the square one but here are the current ones Marco is selling atm so I suppose its a matter of finding out who there supplier for these is. Obviosly someone is making them in opaque colors atm. http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-18605-5X
Now just need transparent colors and ill buy a shit load for the target plastics if anything.
Ok well i take it back on the square ones heres and opaque yellow square from marco currently as well http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/22-1034-01

#52 10 years ago

I'll shoot Steve Midgette an email again asking him if he minds sharing who their distributor is. It was maybe 4-6 months ago when I emailed him so if these yellow ones are new maybe they have a new supplier. I will let everyone know what I find out!

#53 10 years ago

Received the following response from Marco "At this time the yellow ones are the only ones our vendors are licensed to make. We have no way of selecting a color."

#54 10 years ago

That's gotta be an excuse to brush you off. I don't see why the color of plastic would have anything to do with licensing. It's a molded piece of plastic, like a ramp which doesn't need licensing. It's only the decals that go on the ramps that require licensing.

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

I don't see why the color of plastic would have anything to do with licensing. It's a molded piece of plastic

That is what I was thinking as well but the response I received is what it is ,,,,,,,,,

#56 10 years ago

Yeah sounds like bullshit response they have several colors already in the round version and they look china made.
i have a contact @marco ill see what i can find out. i talked to the head guy a few years ago trying to get them to have some 3 1/8" transparent red lane guides made for centaurs. talked to the head guy still no result lol. but the guy i talked to tries think his name is bradly or whatever.

#57 10 years ago

Thanks Vid for the CNC Map. That might make this a whole lot cheaper to do in mass quantity.

My issue now is the type of plastic used. I asked the fabricator if they could make a few that I could test out, but of course they're not in for the small jobs.
Since the targets will be thicker than the originals at the base, I think this will make them stronger, but I can't rely on "I think". What I was looking to do is order enough for several "sets" and sell them to cover my costs. What I can't have happen is for those targets to just explode on impact! I wouldn't be very popular!

I have both the round and square drawn up if anyone wants the files. The drawings aren't as detailed as they are intended for cutting and not a mold injection.

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from Aladdin:

Since the targets will be thicker than the originals at the base, I think this will make them stronger

I have no experience in this field at all so my thinking could be way off! With that said, would the fact that the targets would be thicker actually be a con? The reason I ask is, if you make it thicker it will make the plastic less flexible thus it may be prone to breaking easier?? Just a thought!

Quoted from Aladdin:

I have both the round and square drawn up if anyone wants the files.

I would be interested in seeing what you have conjured up. I will send a PM with my email address!

Thanks!

#59 10 years ago

In general, if you 2x the thickness of a material, you make it 8x stiffer.

#60 10 years ago

I would first look at the highest impact strength plastics:

[attachment=1517932,]

http://www.mcmaster.com/#8574kac/=r2ut2k

#61 10 years ago

Then I would order some 1/8" thick strips from Mcmaster and make sure each can withstand flexing and hitting with a ball-peen hammer.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-plastic-sheets/=r2v4hb

#62 10 years ago

When it comes time to actually buy your bulk plastic, don't buy from Mcmaster because it is way overpriced.

You will want to find a plastics wholesaler (like Ain) in your area.

The trick to saving big coin is to ask for "drops". Drops are cut offs from other jobs. Too large to throw away, but still taking up space in the warehouse.

You need to sound intelligent when you order, or they will gleefully overcharge you at the plastics wholesaler.

You: I need some amber Polycarbonate in .25" thickness, I believe your catalog number is #23-666. My application is little 3x1" machined parts, so I can certainly help you use up some drops if you have them laying around."

Wholesaler guy: I've got two 12x48" and I've got one 18x48" with a scratch through the paper about 24" long; you can have that one at scrap price"

You: You will be my boyfriend, yes?

Wholesaler Guy: Yes.

#63 10 years ago

Just to interject some history here: I first remember seeing these solid target blades show up from Wico as a generic replacement part (See attached photo). I can only assume their plastic parts came from molds made by Foremost plastics. Which I realize are not the easiest people to get answers from. I wonder if they still have the mold? If so, there might be a 500 piece min. but you can include color changes to make the min.

Wico.jpgWico.jpg
#64 10 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

I can only assume their plastic parts came from molds made by Foremost plastics. Which I realize are not the easiest people to get answers from.

I got an answer from them 5 minutes after sending them and email. This was their response:
"We would have to make a mold which would be around $4000 to $5000 to make these. We are more of a manufacture so we mold 10’s of thousands of parts. If you are looking for small quantities you might want to try a rapid prototype house to make you the smaller quantity. If you want us to quote you new tools we would need a sample or a dimensioned drawing."

1 week later
#65 10 years ago

I got some samples of the fluorescent acrylic colors. They are VERY reactive to UV. Now I'm going to cut one down and test the strength of the plastic. Not sure the best way to do that, but I figured if I drop a ball on the target as it lays on a mousepad, should give me decent idea.3-21-2014 2-47-34 PM.jpg3-21-2014 2-47-34 PM.jpg

#66 10 years ago

Put a slice of it in any game and start blasting it with balls.

#67 10 years ago

Did you get Acrylic (Plexiglass) or Polycarbonate (Lexan)? I would expect Acrylic to crack or break very easily. Polycarb on the other hand, if fairly flexible.

Didn't someone originally make a set of replacement plastics (artwork screened playfield light shields) out of Acrylic and they broke almost immediately?

#68 10 years ago

So I received a quote to manufacture both the round and the square transparent targets. For the molds alone it is $5975.00 to have both molds made. I inquired about having 2500 pieces done and it was $1,675.00 (.67 each) for the transparent red ones and $1,661.50 for the transparent round targets. Now with the round targets you can get different colors made but there is a $60 charge per color change.

Correct me if I am wrong but the Medusa game is the only game that uses the square transparent target??? If that is the case and only 3,250 were made it would be very hard press to sell 2,500 of these targets! ! ! At least with the round targets they were used in Elektra (2950 made) and Medusa so more sales opportunities there.

What gets me is that the same targets we're looking for is available from Marco but in solid colors. I sent another email (Wednesday) to Marco advising of my findings and that the company they get theirs from, more than likely, could make the transparent colors for an additional fee. I also gave the sales pitch with the fact that CPR has reproduced the Medusa backglass, plastic set and now the playfield is in the works that people would be looking to restore these machines and looking to purchase these targets but I have not heard back from them.

Lastly, the guy who gave me the above quote also advised me that he is typically does large quantities so he recommend that I go to "a rapid prototype house". He provided me with two names and I will email them to see what can be done there.

#69 10 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Did you get Acrylic (Plexiglass) or Polycarbonate (Lexan)?

Looks like cell cast Acrylic

#70 10 years ago

I can't seem to find Lexan sheets in transparent colors.

#71 10 years ago

Prototype target made. (Not the best work I know!)

Test subject will be placed into a 1989 Data East PB 35th for blast testing.
Good luck and Godspeed!
image-971.jpgimage-971.jpg

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from Aladdin:

(Not the best work I know!)

It's a start!

#73 10 years ago

just could use a laser cutter and cut these out fairly easy. doesn't really need the molded parts of it. Just use flat plastic, make it a little thicker to take more of a beating. I have a friend that has a cutter and could cut 5 of these out at a time. Wouldn't take long.

#74 10 years ago

Now were talking Captn'
Thanks for the help! We could send your friend the sheets of plastic and the measurements.

Let's see how my scientific testing goes!

Cheers!

#75 10 years ago

He already has the florscent type plastic sheets as well. I have a plastics company by me, that can cut any type of plastic in any color I want. For this, you want a softer plastic that can take a beating.

#76 10 years ago

Does anyone know where to get "softer" or Lexan sheets in transparent colors?

#77 10 years ago

The results are in, (that didn't take long!)
The target face took a beating, it was the stem that broke.
I wanted this to work so bad, but I'm glad I didn't order 300+ of these.

Now to find colored Lexan or more flexible colored plastic.

image-156.jpgimage-156.jpg

image-712.jpgimage-712.jpg
#78 10 years ago

my plastics company would know exactly what type of plastic would be best for this purpose. Need a drop target plastic but in clear.

#79 10 years ago

When I get a chance Captn', I'll fwd you my drawings for both the round and square targets.

Let's see where your contacts take us.

Thanks!

#80 10 years ago

hopefully he has various types of plastics on hand to test run.

#81 10 years ago
Quoted from Aladdin:

When I get a chance Captn', I'll fwd you my drawings for both the round and square targets.
Let's see where your contacts take us.
Thanks!

Brian I forward the drawings to Neo!

#82 10 years ago

i'll send them to him and see what he can come up with.

#83 10 years ago

I have a Star Gazer that I would like to someday get some new targets for and I am currently looking to get an Elektra soon. I am following the progress on this thread and will likely buy targets for both games once they are produced. Glad to see someone working on trying to make these targets available again...

-- Shawn

#84 10 years ago
Quoted from DallasPinball:

I have a Star Gazer that I would like to someday get some new targets for

Shawn, correct me if I am wrong but Star Gazer used the solid white 1" square targets?

1 week later
#85 10 years ago

Got the dimensions sent out to my guy. We will see what comes back for samples.

#86 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Got the dimensions sent out to my guy. We will see what comes back for samples.

Thanks Neo, please let us know!

1 week later
#87 10 years ago

Sorry for the delay meSz...

Quoted from meSz:

Shawn, correct me if I am wrong but Star Gazer used the solid white 1" square targets?

My Star Gazer uses the 1" white square targets but some have light yellow targets instead.

-- Shawn

#88 10 years ago
Quoted from DallasPinball:

Sorry for the delay meSz...

My Star Gazer uses the 1" white square targets but some have light yellow targets instead.
-- Shawn

If you get time would you mind posting a picture? Would be interested in seeing that!!! Also, was this factory installed or did someone add these afterwards?

#89 10 years ago

my guy is a little backed up right now, but he will get to it soon.

#90 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

my guy is a little backed up right now, but he will get to it soon.

I hate when I get backed up!!!! Thanks Neo, let us know!!

2 weeks later
#91 9 years ago

Hey, NEW guy here..... I would buy a set of 3 green targets for Elektra. What ever price makes it worth your while, count me in when they become available.

#92 9 years ago

Put me down for the medusa targets.

#93 9 years ago

I'm still working on it. He's going to have test subjects ready soon I hope. If it's a success on what type of plastic to use, then I should be able to pull off any color and shape you need.

#94 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I'm still working on it. He's going to have test subjects ready soon I hope.

Neo, if you need someone to test them let me know!

BTW the Goalee playfield looks great!

#95 9 years ago

What a PIA that was to do.

I might have you test them. But I do have games of that era which I can put them in.

#96 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

What a PIA that was to do.
I might have you test them. But I do have games of that era which I can put them in.

Okay just let me know!

#97 9 years ago

I'll be in need of Medusa targets if you ever produce them.

8 months later
#98 9 years ago

I am thinking of trying to make some of these targets. I need some color samples for Blue, Green, Red, Amber. Does anyone have any broken originals I could buy to use as color references?

Bob

1 week later
#99 9 years ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

I am thinking of trying to make some of these targets. I need some color samples for Blue, Green, Red, Amber. Does anyone have any broken originals I could buy to use as color references?
Bob

Anyone help Bob out with some samples? Bob keep us informed if you would please!

#100 9 years ago

Not a peep so far...

I was thinking of making a 2 cavity tool (round and square ) and molding parts in tinted PC.

Might do it just as a goof, but I'm beginning to think it will take 10 years to get my money back out of it.

Bob

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Brooklyn, NY
$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

2,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

£ 195.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Point, UT
$ 10.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 139.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-transparent-targets-what-machines-used-them/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.