Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Mathazar
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I picked up a project 1978 SS Mata Hari last week and the previous owner had an original transformer with a new Rottendog BPS018 rectifier board sitting unmounted with no cage in the bottom of the backbox. Unit was disassembled when I bought it, and I'm bringing it up to see what kind of work needs to be done.

I disconnected the MPU, SDB, and Lamp board leaving only J2 attached to the rectifier board so I can see the voltages coming out of it before checking out the other PCBs. Here's what I'm getting:

TP1 – 5.4VDC +or- .8VDC is 6.48VDC
TP2 – 230VDC +or- 27.4VDC is 195.7VDC
TP3 – 11.9VDC +or- 1.4VDC is 12.23VDC
TP4 – 7.3VAC +or- .9VAC is 7.3VAC
TP5 – 43VDC +or- 5.4VDC is 46.6VDC

So the 5.4v line seems a tad high and the 230v line seems a tad low. With these values, would it be ok to hook up the Solenoid Driver Board next and progress from there, or is the 195.7VDC reading for the 230VDC line indicating a transformer problem that I should solve first before proceeding? I'm a little new at this.

Thanx,
Kris

#2 5 years ago

Voltages look good to me. Hook up J3 on the solenoid driver board and check voltages there.

Then connect J4 on the MPU and check voltages there.

#3 5 years ago

Probably o.k., can't speak for certain on specs of the Rottendog, You should have around 173 VAC from the transformer for the HV coming in to the rectifier board. Measuring that should give you a fair idea of transformer health, but take into account variations in mains voltage and absence of load. These power supplies are not precision devices.

Read "before turning the game on" section and go through those boards thoroughly before hooking up SDB,

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index1.htm#mid

#4 5 years ago

Those all look good to me as well

#5 5 years ago

Thanx for the advice, everyone. The plot is thickening.

I stepped thru hooking up each board and checking voltages - all boards look ok. I should also mention that I've removed all of the original boards and put them on my bench for later evaluation....all of the boards in the backbox are brand new Allteks.

The machine fires up now but the solenoids are wonky - some fire, some don't during power on. It goes into Self Test ok - GI and control lamps appear to be alright tho a few are out that I'll look into later. All of the score displays are a bit weak and strobing a bit, some numbers are not legible (I'll save that one for later, too). No stuck switches.

The Solenoid Self Test does about the same thing as power on....a few solenoids fire, most don't (and no chimes). And one solenoid (#10, the right 4-drop target bank) fires multiple times when I think it should fire only once. Another symptom - in game mode, rolling over most every switch on the playfield causes that same #10 solenoid to fire.

I had re-pinned the connector header for J3 on the rectifier board while I was bringing the power supply back up (the original had no burn marks but a couple of wires were broken) but I haven't re-pinned anything else yet. All of the remaining connector headers on the harnesses "look" ok....no burn marks, no corrosion that I see, no bent pins inside the housings. What's the next move to check? If the suggestion is to repin header connectors, which ones should I do first?

Thank you!

#6 5 years ago

I would look closely at the connectors to the MPU, especially J3 & J4. Also look at the switches on the right drop target bank - may not be related to the continual firing, but worth a look.

Since you have several coils firing at once, I think your SDB has some issues, too.

#7 5 years ago

That's very odd behaviors for new boards.

#8 5 years ago

Do a memory clear on the Alltek MPU. Did you use this board in another application?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from minnesota13:

Do a memory clear on the Alltek MPU. Did you use this board in another application?

I cleared the memory, no change. Brand new MPU out of the box.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

I would look closely at the connectors to the MPU, especially J3 & J4. Also look at the switches on the right drop target bank - may not be related to the continual firing, but worth a look.
Since you have several coils firing at once, I think your SDB has some issues, too.

I gently tugged on each wire in each connector on the SDB....and one came out leaving the pin in the housing. The one that came out is Pin 25 (+5v) and it's jumped directly to Pin 13 (+5v). Now that I've seen that there's at least one questionable wire connection, I'm going to re-pin all of the plug housings on the SBD. Unfortunately, I don't have any .100 plug housings or pins on hand at the moment....just placed an order and hope they arrive before the weekend so I can take this to the next step before having to go out of town for a few days.

Thanx all for your suggestions!

#11 5 years ago

Which connector did you need?

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

Which connector did you need?

PM sent.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 7.50
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 90.00
1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-transformer-with-rottendog-rectifier-low-230v?hl=mathazar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.