9 months ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by Quench
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 months ago

I’m not getting 12v to power the boards in a Bally Speakeasy.

On the rectifier board: At 11.9v test point I’m getting 6.0v DC. The rectifier board is brand new and that eliminated a bunch of other issues. But the 12v from the transformer seems to be the last problem. I never deal with transformers — is it time to pick up a used one? Or just throw a cheap switching supply in there?

I can actually run the new replacement MPU on the existing 6.5v and it works with all flashes, but the symptoms are that controlled lamps, motor, displays all don’t work. GI and coils do.

Thanks!

#2 9 months ago

Put your multimeter on AC voltage, then insert the meter leads in the J6 socket of the rectifier board where the two blue wires are. It doesn't matter which way around you put the meter leads.
    The voltage you read across those blue wires should be around 14.2VAC - this is the transformer voltage that delivers the 12 volts for the system.
    If you measure close to this voltage, then there is a problem at the BR1 bridge rectifier on the rectifier board.

#3 9 months ago

I think I’ve eliminated the rectifier board as an issue, the AC coming in to the 12v rectifier is low too, I think it was at 7-8? I’d have to measure it again as I didn’t write it down. Thanks!

#4 9 months ago

Pull the F3 fuse off the rectifier board and remeasure that transformer output. That bridge rectifier might have an internal short which could be pulling the transformer voltage down. Those transformers are generally tanks.

#5 9 months ago

By the way, are you running the game from 120VAC wall power while the transformer is wired for 220VAC input?

#6 9 months ago

It’s set up for 120 on a 120 line. The problems arose after a move. Fine before that. I have a 100% new rectifier board in there, newly manufactured, and before that I’d rebuilt the last one, they both have the same behavior. But I will try that test. If it is the transformer, what next?

#7 9 months ago

I would disconnect the transformer from the rectifier board (isolate everything off the transformer) and measure all the transformer output winding voltages. Then you'll have a better idea.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 26.95
    $ 75.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 14.99
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 78.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 25.50
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 209.99
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Apron Envy
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 35.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside