• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TOM-Switch-Matrix.gif
TOM-Switch-Matrix.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I have a TOM and it works fine. There is one annoying problem. When the ball enters the shooter lane and hits the shooter lane switch it makes the same sound as a ball draining out the outlane -oooooommmmmm. It does not seem to affect game play. Any thoughts on how to fix that?

Thanks

#2 8 years ago

Go into switch edge test and see if when you close the shooter lane switch one of the outlane switches also indicates closed.

#3 8 years ago

Do what TerryB said -> then look for a shorted wire under the playfield - although it may be a board issue.

#4 8 years ago

I did the test and it shows shooter lane then says left outlane. I noticed that both switches have a white wire with green stripe. Maybe a bad diode?

#5 8 years ago

Have you done any work on the game recently?

At this point I would try to identify if it is the board or on the playfield. See the link below for how to test for this. You could also check if when you close the start switch, the buy in switch also shows closed.

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/repair-guides/146-switch-matrix-theory-and-troubleshooting

1 month later
#6 8 years ago

I have the exact same problem wit my TOM..
Did you find a solution?

1 month later
#7 8 years ago

When I push the shooter lane switch in test mode, both the shooter lane and return lane switches are activated. When I do this with the playfield standing up, only the shooter lane switch registers. Something is shorting when the playfield is placed back down to the cabinet. It has got me stumped to find the wire that is causing this because it only happens when I can not look directly at the wires. Any tips would be appreciated.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from makeittogo:

When I push the shooter lane switch in test mode, both the shooter lane and return lane switches are activated.

Can you provide the switch number for the return lane?

1 week later
#9 8 years ago

When I push the shooter lane switch the following three switches close:

shooter lane S15 WHT GRN - GRN BRN
left outlane S25 WHT GRN - GRN RED
cube pos 4 S55 WHT GRN - GRN BLK

All three have the WHT GRN wire in common.

What should I look for?

#10 8 years ago

You should be able to put a phone inside the coin door when the game is on, flashlight on taking a movie and see if there's a short. The left outline switch, is it close to the service rail? I would examine the wires and switch for exposed wires or something that is coming in contact with ground braid, wire or bare metal

#11 8 years ago

Take all of the balls out of the game and see if the same thing happens. If the problem persists then disconnect the row connector on the opto board that switch 55 is connected to and see what happens.

1 week later
#12 8 years ago

I took out all of the balls - no change
Disconnected the opto switch - no change
I see no obvious wires shorting to ground
Could it be a bad diode on switch or previous owner changing some wiring incorrectly?
Also no power to the trunk light - any thoughts on troubleshooting that?

Thanks for your support

#13 8 years ago

The trunk light is only on specific times. No power to it is probably a break in the wire to the light inside the trunk. Not a fun repair.

#14 8 years ago

Dont think the trunk light has anything to do with your problem.
All 3 switches you mention are in the same row of the switch matrix so i would check the other switches in that row first! Loose cables, shorts or bad diodes.
Switch matrix: http://www.iobium.com/Tech%20Templates/tom-tech.pdf
Good luck!

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from makeittogo:

cube pos 4 S55 WHT GRN - GRN BLK

This is an opto so it should be normally closed regardless of what you do with switch 15.

In order to get a phantom switch closure three switches have to be closed. Those three switches and the phantom switch will form a rectangle on the switch matrix diagram. As of now we are sure of two corners of the rectangle: 15 and 25 (marked in red). Any switch in column 1 that is not used eliminates it as the possible problem (marked out in yellow). I presume the start button and buy in are both open so that eliminates them as possible corners on the rectangle, and leaves us switches 14, 15, 24 and 25.

Check those switches for a reversed diode, shorted diode or wire/lead shorting to ground.

TOM-Switch-Matrix.jpgTOM-Switch-Matrix.jpg

#16 8 years ago

Ok here is what I found so far
When The shooter lane 15 is pushed I get SW 15 +55 and sometimes 25
When the start button is pushed, I get the start 13 + Right lane enter 53
When the captive ball switch 52 is not closed (no ball on switch) all switches work normal.
Could the square be 15,55,53 and 13?

#17 8 years ago

Thanks for the additonal info, that helps narrow it down.

You've got two rectangles: 12, 13, 52 and 53 and also 12, 15, 52 and 55. Not sure what's going on with 25 other than what I suggested above.

Since the only shared point between the two rectangles is 52, that is where I would suspect the problem lies. I would look at this first and then we can go back to the 25 issue.

TOM-Switch-Matrix.gifTOM-Switch-Matrix.gif

1 month later
#18 8 years ago

I replaced the diode on the captive ball rest switch and that fixed the multiple switch closures. However, I still get the outlane drain sound (ooooooooommmmmmm) when the ball is served. Is this normal or what sound should I hear?

#19 8 years ago

What about switch 25?

#20 8 years ago

All switches test correctly now. 25 shows left outlane only.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from makeittogo:

I replaced the diode on the captive ball rest switch and that fixed the multiple switch closures. However, I still get the outlane drain sound (ooooooooommmmmmm) when the ball is served. Is this normal or what sound should I hear?

Could be vibration. Bang on the table and see if switch 25 closes.

#22 8 years ago

Nope that does not do it. What sound (if any) should it make when a ball is served? It does not make the sound when a saved ball is served. This one has me stumped.

#23 8 years ago

"Welcome to the Theatre of Magic"

It also plays a different sound as you launch the ball and the ball rolls off the switch.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-tom-shooter-lane-switch-sound-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.