• Latest reply 8 years ago by dudah
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3875.JPG
#1 8 years ago

I'm trying to fix a reset problem which eventually turns out into a booting issue on a CFTBL. I went through a lot of work but right now I feel stuck.

Note that the reset issue was so severe that the machine was rebooting during the startup sequence.

I'm trying to follow the pinwiki page about reset issue as much as I can. Here's what has been done so far.

Step 1:
- Changed all caps and bridge rectifier on the WPC board. ( I want the board to become reliable for a long time)
- Changed thermistor in the power switch casing

Reset still occurs

Step 2:
- Change the voltage regulator

Reset didn't occured anymore for a while. After a dozens perfect game withtout any reset issue, the reset reappears with the same frequency.

Step 3:
- I changed every diodes on the flippers (the left flippers diodes had very bad values)
- I changed the voltage regulator for a new one, since it seems that this was the part that fixed the game previously.

Now the machine do not boot anymore. The DMD is displaying random dots. Where should I look from there? I'm pretty sure after a double check that every connectors have been correctly replaced, but I may be wrong.

IMG_3875.JPGIMG_3875.JPG
#2 8 years ago

Please measure your voltages at J210 on the MPU board. My guess is that they are out of whack.

#3 8 years ago

Thanks for the hint. Before that I pulled out the board again. Resolder the voltage regulator and it seems that the screws were not doing a correct gournd. So I rescrewed them tightly. Plug it back and started working! I played a game and the game made one reset at the end of the game. So my boot problem is fixed but my reset issue may not be gone for good.

#4 8 years ago

I had an issue after replacing the bridges where the solder was only on the bottom of the board, but there are traces at the top also it wasn't making contact with! Inspect them closely and make sure everything is connected. Schematics and a multimeter are your friend.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-theatre-of-magic-tom-boot-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.