(Topic ID: 132683)

Bally - The Shadow v.s Williams Congo... Which one values higher....?

By Flippermatt

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Congo_mind_map.jpg
416564-i.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

The lower playfield is lame on Congo.

I prefer it to the Battlefield on the Shadow. I actually think they're both strange to play, but at least the lower playfield is out of the way on Congo, making it a more "open" game. Lots of nice long shots in Congo.

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Shadow is a better game.

Because....?

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

Not saying I don't want the game, however compared to Shadow its complete shit, IMO.

#61 8 years ago

TS is one of the few B/W "B" titles that I haven't owned or had for a few months in a temp trade. I should try to do a 3-month temp trade, Congo for TS.

#62 8 years ago

Congo rules, condensed into a mind map. It's not a shallow game.

Congo_mind_map.jpgCongo_mind_map.jpg

#66 8 years ago

The MAP saucer shot on Congo is very tight. I find that I can bounce it in with the left slingshot easier than flipping it in.

#68 8 years ago

Looks like I'll finally have a chance to do this! If all goes according to plan, I'll have a Shadow next to my Congo some time in the next month. I watched the movie tonight (The Shadow), and I didn't think it was that bad. But I liked Congo too...

1 week later
#74 8 years ago

I'll be setting up a Shadow next to my Congo tonight! I'll report back in a few months, after the newness of Shadow wears off and I can make an objective comparison.

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

Don't say that!

Has the newness worn off of WH2O already?

#88 8 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Brilliant. This really shows the "choose your own adventure" nature of Congo, which is what makes it a brilliant game in my mind.

Thanks - I'll do one for The Shadow next, so we can compare. I just got mine set up, and worked out a few small issues. I'm already outlining a detailed comparison in my mind: rules, mini-playfield, layout, art, theme, sound, toys/gadgets. Really glad to have them together: the Tim Curry collection!

#96 8 years ago

I think they both have great art, perfect integration of the theme in the colors and designs. I even like both original translites.

#98 8 years ago

Here's my micro-review, after owning The Shadow for 3 days. Yeah, it's the "honeymoon period", so this doesn't really count. I'll do a detailed writeup within a month. But my initial reaction is: "why is Congo more expensive than The Shadow?"

They do have a lot in common. Three flippers, genius layouts, great music and sound, Tim Curry's voice.
But The Shadow pulls ahead in so many areas:

Stacking modes with multiballs (I think)
Video mode (both involve dodging, but it works better in TS)
Wizard mode (Final Battle is amazing)
Mini-playfield (more skill involved)
Skill shot (ramp shot, vs. aiming with the plunger)
Ramps with diverters
Sanctum lock sequence
Saucers that stick the landing

I'll admit that Congo has a few things that Shadow doesn't: the kickback, and that very satisfying shot through the pops and around the volcano. But The Shadow is my new favorite. We'll see how I feel in a few months. I won't be selling Congo, because it was my first DMD (I got it around 2003, I think). But it should feel nervous.

#99 8 years ago

Ha, looking back at my posts here, I just realized that this thread is what convinced me to buy The Shadow. Thanks OP!

#101 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Not even close to as many congos were were made and who knows how many got parted out . Then you have the usual amount that get thrown away and add that to pretty high demand and you get higher prices. I like both games alot for different reasons but got tired of stadow after a month.

Yeah, but why is the demand higher for Congo? I agree, half as many were made so there's less supply. But my first impression is that Shadow is a better competitive pin, while Congo is a better family/visitor game. I think I just answered my own question: there are way more casual players than competitive players.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-the-shadow-vs-williams-congo-which-one-values-higher?tu=swampfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.