New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 132683)

Bally - The Shadow v.s Williams Congo... Which one values higher....?

By Flippermatt

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 109 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Shoot_Again
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Congo_mind_map.jpg
416564-i.jpg

There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Not even close to as many congos were were made and who knows how many got parted out . Then you have the usual amount that get thrown away and add that to pretty high demand and you get higher prices. I like both games alot for different reasons but got tired of stadow after a month.

Yeah, but why is the demand higher for Congo? I agree, half as many were made so there's less supply. But my first impression is that Shadow is a better competitive pin, while Congo is a better family/visitor game. I think I just answered my own question: there are way more casual players than competitive players.

#102 5 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

...as intense as TS.

Great point! I was trying to put my finger on what makes Shadow so great apart from the obvious mechanical creativity (diverters, mini-pf, ball-lock), and it really is the intensity of the gameplay with the sound adding even more punch to it.

It's not a game you play a laid back relaxing game on while having a conversation and drinking a beer. It's a tough rush of a battle that will immediately punish you for even just a split second of distraction. In my book that's pinball at it's best.

#103 5 years ago

The soundtrack for shadow is excellent! Good mix of slow haunting tracks and fast hurry up tracks. " discover hotel monolith "mode music is awesome...so soft and simple yet so nerve rattling

#104 5 years ago

Shadow and Congo complement each other! between the two you will never get board as they have different game play. Shadow is challenging and fun Congo is pure fun. IF they were the only two in a collection one could only be satisfied !

#105 5 years ago

Yup, thats where they will be when I finish tinkering with them....Congo and Shadow, side by side.
Like non identical twins...they exist to compliment each other so well!

#106 5 years ago

i personaly have a Shadow, and it's a really good game very tough and challenging,i m gonna get a Congo soon finger crossed,but i think shadow is a deeper game than the congo, Congo is more smooth game and less frustrating .
Definitely two great game!

#107 5 years ago

I probably only have 3 plays on a Congo, so I can't comment with anything meaningful. I love my Shadow, and don't see it leaving!

#108 5 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

The soundtrack for Shadow is excellent! Good mix of slow haunting tracks and fast hurry up tracks. " discover hotel monolith "mode music is awesome...so soft and simple yet so nerve rattling

Unnerving and soft, the unsettling music that stands out in pinball history is BSD "Tolling of the Bells" at game over.
If collectors are not familiar go find a BSD to play, as it one of the two game over routines it showcases.
You will not forget it, even women like it, and the game itself scares young children if the player is good.

Congo does not have "fantastic" music or sound, every time Amy talked I wanted to shut the machine down.
It is marginally better than Data East's Jurassic Park with a much improved sound system.

The Shadow music in sync with game play, and the sound clips are much better.
The nod goes to The Shadow in this case.

2 months later
#109 4 years ago

Both excellent games but Congo wins the price war

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN
Boards
PinSound
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside