(Topic ID: 132683)

Bally - The Shadow v.s Williams Congo... Which one values higher....?

By Flippermatt

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Congo_mind_map.jpg
416564-i.jpg
There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 8 years ago

I think I love every B/W three flipper game. I'd have them all if Inhad room. After owning TS for a while I can definitely say it's a frustrating pin sometimes if you're not a great player. It doesn't make it not fun, though. It's my favorite in my lineup currently. When I'm tired of getting my rear handed to me, I flip on IJ or CV and have a fun game. I don't have much time on Congo, but what I did play of It I enjoyed. I thought the lower playfield was pointless. I think the mini playfield on TS is light years better. The volcano shot is very satisfying, though, and the game is not as intense as TS.

Cliff notes: if you can swing it, have both. If not, decide if you want a dark themed motherfucker of a game, or a lighter themed game with longer ball times. It's not like one is worth $8k and the other $2k, they're only about $500 apart on average don't let the money keep you from enjoying pinball

2 months later
#52 8 years ago

Definitely The Shadow.

#53 8 years ago

Congo alllllll the way, Shadow is shit.

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

Shadow any day of the week over that turd Congo

Funny that Congo is on your wishlist.

#55 8 years ago

I traded BSD for a Shadow straight and then traded Shadow for a Congo straight. Congo is still in the game room, but I loved the other two a lot as well. All great games, if only money/space were limitless.

#56 8 years ago

I prefer congo more than shadow.

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

Funny that Congo is on your wishlist.

Not saying I don't want the game, however compared to Shadow its complete shit, IMO.

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

The lower playfield is lame on Congo.

I prefer it to the Battlefield on the Shadow. I actually think they're both strange to play, but at least the lower playfield is out of the way on Congo, making it a more "open" game. Lots of nice long shots in Congo.

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Shadow is a better game.

Because....?

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

Not saying I don't want the game, however compared to Shadow its complete shit, IMO.

#61 8 years ago

TS is one of the few B/W "B" titles that I haven't owned or had for a few months in a temp trade. I should try to do a 3-month temp trade, Congo for TS.

#62 8 years ago

Congo rules, condensed into a mind map. It's not a shallow game.

Congo_mind_map.jpgCongo_mind_map.jpg

#63 8 years ago

I find the ramps on Shadow to be a little too clunky and not all that smooth to shoot, otherwise it is a fun game. Congo is a great game when you dial it in and has some nice shots. I do like the saucer placements more on Shadow as mode start on Congo can sometimes bounce out.

#64 8 years ago

Get them both

I much prefer the callouts and art on TS but both games are excellent.

#65 8 years ago

both Congo and shadow were on my wish list. Only one got crossed off. The shadow wins all the way. Congo is a fun great game. Some one always brings it to expo. price just doesn't justify it for me though IMO

#66 8 years ago

The MAP saucer shot on Congo is very tight. I find that I can bounce it in with the left slingshot easier than flipping it in.

#67 8 years ago

I own a Congo and have gone through two Shadows. Both are great games however I would give the edge to Congo because of it's fun factor. Shadow is the more challenging pin but with much shorter ball times.

#68 8 years ago

Looks like I'll finally have a chance to do this! If all goes according to plan, I'll have a Shadow next to my Congo some time in the next month. I watched the movie tonight (The Shadow), and I didn't think it was that bad. But I liked Congo too...

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Congo is the whole package. Great artwork

Your kidding right? Look at the cartoon faces on the backglass....

#70 8 years ago

Congo is worth more if both conditions of machines are completely equal.
Rarity of Congo, and inability to find parts is what raises its cost.
Gameplay quality is about the same, although I prefer "The Shadow", as I sold my Congo YEARS ago to another collector.

#71 8 years ago

have both games. Shadow is more challenging, Congo more fun, if i had to keep one over the other. CONGO!

#72 8 years ago

I had CQ examples of both. Still have the shadow. Also sold Congo for 5750... So that says something.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#73 8 years ago

Both fun games. As said above Shadow is more the players game for sure. Congo is much easier.

#74 8 years ago

I'll be setting up a Shadow next to my Congo tonight! I'll report back in a few months, after the newness of Shadow wears off and I can make an objective comparison.

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I'll be setting up a Shadow next to my Congo tonight! I'll report back in a few months, after the newness of Shadow wears off and I can make an objective comparison.

Nice!

It's strange though, Shadow is the one pin the newness hasn't worn off at all even after more than a year into owning it.

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

Nice!
It's strange though, Shadow is the one pin the newness hasn't worn off at all even after more than a year into owning it.

Don't say that!

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

Don't say that!

Has the newness worn off of WH2O already?

#78 8 years ago

I think they're both awesome games. I just got a Congo and I can't wait to get it home. She's gorgeous.

#79 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Has the newness worn off of WH2O already?

No, but I still should've picked up Shadow first!

#80 8 years ago

Congo sometimes is worth EVEN MORE in certain situations.

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Definitely The Shadow.

ever play a CONGO?

#82 8 years ago

I think both are great games in their own right and are must haves at sone point

#83 8 years ago

I own both. I've had Shadow for a year and Congo for two years.

Congo is more fun. I like it better. My girlfriend likes it better. Most of my friends like it better.

Shadow is great but it's no Congo.

#84 8 years ago

Shadow over Congo by far

#85 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Congo rules, condensed into a mind map. It's not a shallow game.

Congo_mind_map.jpg

Brilliant. This really shows the "choose your own adventure" nature of Congo, which is what makes it a brilliant game in my mind.

#86 8 years ago

Both are great games, Congo gets the nod in our house ahead of Shadow.
Owned them both and sold them both but bought Congo again recently and I have been instructed by my kids to never sell it again.
Would really like another Shadow one of these days too, another game my kids really like.

#87 8 years ago

both are great games, I have put a lot of time on both

Congo is worth more in the current market and many say its the flavor of the month but that has been a couple years now

if your a player both are great but i'd give the edge to TS, Congo is more approachable with guest

you can still find TS for under 3k but doubt you would find a Congo under 3K

#88 8 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Brilliant. This really shows the "choose your own adventure" nature of Congo, which is what makes it a brilliant game in my mind.

Thanks - I'll do one for The Shadow next, so we can compare. I just got mine set up, and worked out a few small issues. I'm already outlining a detailed comparison in my mind: rules, mini-playfield, layout, art, theme, sound, toys/gadgets. Really glad to have them together: the Tim Curry collection!

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Thanks - I'll do one for The Shadow next, so we can compare. I just got mine set up, and worked out a few small issues. I'm already outlining a detailed comparison in my mind: rules, mini-playfield, layout, art, theme, sound, toys/gadgets. Really glad to have them together: the Tim Curry collection!

I would actually love to see that! Shadow does have a ton going for it. I know Congo rules like the back of my hand, but just get the basics of Shadow.

#90 8 years ago

i have had ts for about a year. congo a week. congo is really good i am quite surprised. shadow on the other hand. it will likely never leave and i have gone through quite a few. it's the whole package. if i could only keep 2 that i have played it would be shadow for dmd and ebd for early ss

#91 8 years ago

I have The Shadow and I covet for Congo, but wouldn't trade it because I would miss it. They are in a way complementing games: TS is quick tough player's game with bad playfield art, Congo is more relaxed game with long adventure journey theme and beautiful jungle themed playfield art. TS has outright modes that can be started, Congo's modes are hidden within MAP (three ramps and then scoop for: diamond hunt multiball, jungle tribe multiball, skill fire) or put in the specific parts of playfield for you to choose if you want to start them or not (satelite transfer, amy's mode, video mode 1, video mode 2, grey).

#92 8 years ago

This is turning into a what game is better thread. Wish we had a poll attached. Would be an interesting battle.

#93 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Looking forward to this!

#94 8 years ago
Quoted from Ika:

TS is quick tough player's game with bad playfield art,

I like Shadow's playfield art.

#95 8 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

I like Shadow's playfield art.

me too

#96 8 years ago

I think they both have great art, perfect integration of the theme in the colors and designs. I even like both original translites.

#97 8 years ago

Shadow is Art Deco and styled perfectly.

#98 8 years ago

Here's my micro-review, after owning The Shadow for 3 days. Yeah, it's the "honeymoon period", so this doesn't really count. I'll do a detailed writeup within a month. But my initial reaction is: "why is Congo more expensive than The Shadow?"

They do have a lot in common. Three flippers, genius layouts, great music and sound, Tim Curry's voice.
But The Shadow pulls ahead in so many areas:

Stacking modes with multiballs (I think)
Video mode (both involve dodging, but it works better in TS)
Wizard mode (Final Battle is amazing)
Mini-playfield (more skill involved)
Skill shot (ramp shot, vs. aiming with the plunger)
Ramps with diverters
Sanctum lock sequence
Saucers that stick the landing

I'll admit that Congo has a few things that Shadow doesn't: the kickback, and that very satisfying shot through the pops and around the volcano. But The Shadow is my new favorite. We'll see how I feel in a few months. I won't be selling Congo, because it was my first DMD (I got it around 2003, I think). But it should feel nervous.

#99 8 years ago

Ha, looking back at my posts here, I just realized that this thread is what convinced me to buy The Shadow. Thanks OP!

#100 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Here's my micro-review, after owning The Shadow for 3 days. Yeah, it's the "honeymoon period", so this doesn't really count. I'll do a detailed writeup within a month. But my initial reaction is: "why is Congo more expensive than The Shadow?"
They do have a lot in common. Three flippers, genius layouts, great music and sound, Tim Curry's voice.
But The Shadow pulls ahead in so many areas:
Stacking modes with multiballs (I think)
Video mode (both involve dodging, but it works better in TS)
Wizard mode (Final Battle is amazing)
Mini-playfield (more skill involved)
Skill shot (ramp shot, vs. aiming with the plunger)
Ramps with diverters
Sanctum lock sequence
Saucers that stick the landing
I'll admit that Congo has a few things that Shadow doesn't: the kickback, and that very satisfying shot through the pops and around the volcano. But The Shadow is my new favorite. We'll see how I feel in a few months. I won't be selling Congo, because it was my first DMD (I got it around 2003, I think). But it should feel nervous.

Not even close to as many congos were were made and who knows how many got parted out . Then you have the usual amount that get thrown away and add that to pretty high demand and you get higher prices. I like both games alot for different reasons but got tired of stadow after a month.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-the-shadow-vs-williams-congo-which-one-values-higher/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.