New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 132683)

Bally - The Shadow v.s Williams Congo... Which one values higher....?

By Flippermatt

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 109 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Shoot_Again
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Congo_mind_map.jpg
416564-i.jpg

There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 5 years ago

In generall which one sells for a higher $ ? We are talking a possible trade, both Machines near excellent... Is it all-in-all a fair straigh trade without involving $ to one or the other and putting personal interest of any of the games aside ?

Sidenote... I have T.S and am curious about letting it go for a Congo... Bad idea ?

reg
Matt

#2 5 years ago

I much prefer Congo. Own Congo now. I had a Ts and it was cool but let it go after awhile.

Congo is worth more and harder to find.

Trade.

#3 5 years ago

I traded my Congo straight up for a Shadow. Similar in value depending on condition.

#4 5 years ago

Similar value. Go for it.

#5 5 years ago

Even, i'd get go for it and get the Congo.

#6 5 years ago

These two aren't same value.

Shadows can be had 2500-3000 fairly easily.
Congo is rarely seen at that price, if ever. A 2500 congo would be gone within minutes, if you can even find one for sale.

#7 5 years ago

Shadow is a better game.

#8 5 years ago

Shadow is a Brian eddy masterpiece. Congo is not nearly the game or layout of shadow. The lower playfield is lame on Congo. I am glad Congo is having its moment but please a shadow it is not. Congo 2-3k, shadow 2500-4500.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Flippermatt:

Sidenote... I have T.S and am curious about letting it go for a Congo... Bad idea ?
reg
Matt

From a players perspective it's a bad idea, Shadow is clearly the better game (my personal opinion, Pinside opinion & IPDB opinion).

From a value perspective it's a good idea, Congos sell for slightly more than Shadows (at least in Europe).

#10 5 years ago

What?

#11 5 years ago

Congo is the new flavor of the month game. It isn't a bad game by any means, but Shadow has been considered the better player for years and years. Its only been the last couple years that its risen in value above shadow.

So if you are just after money, Congo. Overall better game? Shadow.

#12 5 years ago

Shadow is the better game of the two. Congo is much harder to find and worth a bit more. This is a good trade for you IF you can let Shadow go.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Congo is the new flavor of the month game. It isn't a bad game by any means, but Shadow has been considered the better player for years and years. Its only been the last couple years that its risen in value above Shadow.
So if you are just after money, Congo. Overall better game? Shadow.

Haha. Nice contradiction. What is it dung? Month or years?

#14 5 years ago

Up until 2 years ago Congo was about as popular as Popeye and priced the same. There is froth on Congo just like the $24,000 MM.

#15 5 years ago

We'll just disagree on pricing then schlock.

OP: both are great pins. I've enjoyed both. Ts felt more like a chore to play with the modes etc. either choice is great.

Congo is just much more rare. I'd get that if you have the chance. You can always find a shadow.

Good luck!

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Congo is the new flavor of the month game.

Thats one long lasting flavor of the month then. Its been popular for over a year now and just keeps getting more sought after. Congo is the whole package. Great artwork, gameplay is fast and fun. One of the greatest shots in pinball through the pops into the volcano. Just an awesome layout. There is a reason its gained in price over the last few years. People are starting to see it and play it more now. I haven't played the Shadow much so I can't comment on it, but anyone that can post on here that Congo is just ok or sucks just doesn't know what they are talking about. Of course, one mans trash is another mans treasure so I get that not everyone will like Congo.

#17 5 years ago

Kinda a weird comparison.

I think if they are both in average condition...the are very comparable in price with a slight edge (maybe a couple hundred) to Congo.

Once you get into the really nice..or CQ\restored stuff the Congo pulls head by quite a bit... probably due to it's rarity.

#18 5 years ago

He is asking about value, so Congo wins, but play I give to Shadow. Congo has just never kept my attention. I personally feel like Shadow is very undervalued.

#19 5 years ago

These two pins have been compared a lot. I think the real issue with the comparison is most haven't owned a congo, and many have owned a shadow. I think a lot of people comment after only having a few games on a congo (if they can find one) at a show, etc. Not a fair critique, as I've played a lot of pins at shows I've never owned and thought not too much about them. It's only after owning a pin for awhile do I think it's fair to truly give an assessment.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

These two pins have been compared a lot. I think the real issue with the comparison is most haven't owned a congo, and many have owned a Shadow. I think a lot of people comment after only having a few games on a congo (if they can find one) at a show, etc. Not a fair critique, as I've played a lot of pins at shows I've never owned and thought not too much about them. It's only after owning a pin for awhile do I think it's fair to truly give an assessment.

Very true! Local arcade and a buddy have Congo, but never owned. For some reason I play it and move on quickly. I am same way with Tron also, so who knows.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Very true! Local arcade and a buddy have Congo, but never owned. For some reason I play it and move on quickly. I am same way with Tron also, so who knows.

Same happens to me with Tron. I've played one maybe 15 times and don't like it. However, never owned one and don't know too much about the rule set.

It's only after owning a pin and really knowing the rules should we make judgments on here. I'm guilty of doing it too.

#22 5 years ago

I owned them both at the same time. Congo was probably the worst pin I've ever own game play wise.

Still strange on how we have completely opposite taste in games. Your favorite is my 'I wouldn't play it if it was the only game at my office' (which is was).

BSD on the other had..kept me from getting a LOT of work done

Quoted from Blackbeard:

These two pins have been compared a lot. I think the real issue with the comparison is most haven't owned a congo, and many have owned a Shadow. I think a lot of people comment after only having a few games on a congo (if they can find one) at a show, etc. Not a fair critique, as I've played a lot of pins at shows I've never owned and thought not too much about them. It's only after owning a pin for awhile do I think it's fair to truly give an assessment.

#23 5 years ago

To each their own. Congo caught me by surprise on how much fun it is to play. It has a mix of fun shots and a lot of character. Shadow seems to be a lot easier to find and cheaper in general.

#24 5 years ago

Both are great games and similar in value. Shadow has more staying power for me.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Same happens to me with Tron. I've played one maybe 15 times and don't like it. However, never owned one and don't know too much about the rule set.
It's only after owning a pin and really knowing the rules should we make judgments on here. I'm guilty of doing it too.

What if you played a game 50-250 times on location? Seems fair to be able to critique it.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

What if you played a game 50-250 times on location? Seems fair to be able to critique it.

I'd agree totally. I'm just talking about the commenters who really don't have a ton of time on a single machine... enough so to give a real commentary on it. We're all guilty of it.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

I owned them both at the same time. Congo was probably the worst pin I've ever own game play wise.
Still strange on how we have completely opposite taste in games. Your favorite is my 'I wouldn't play it if it was the only game at my office' (which is was).
BSD on the other had..kept me from getting a LOT of work done

And I can't see how congo was the worst pin you've ever owned! I love the pin.

It's all subjective. However, you have owned both, so your critique is a fair one.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Ts felt more like a chore to play with the modes etc.

I think the statement above says it all - because that's what Shadow is all about and what makes it such a great game: The challenge, the modes, etc.

#29 5 years ago

Shadow any day of the week over that turd Congo

#30 5 years ago

When Congo was a $1500 game one was offered to me in trade for fish tales I thought no way that game! Big mistake , as I eventually took an interest in it at a much higher price tag and I am GLAD I did. I have a Congo and a Shadow and I honestly value them similar even though they are two different types of play. They are the two games that will stay till the end. If i had to decide between the two I would say CONGO is the keeper! That volcano shot over and over is the most gratifying shot. And don't forget MIDNIGHT MADDNESS! I say keep your shadow and buy the CONGO from your friend. GL with what ever you decide.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead87:

Shadow any day of the week over that turd Congo

Hmm. Interesting that the "turd congo" is presently on your wishlist.

#32 5 years ago

Shadow to me was clunky and boring, owned it for 1 month could'nt wait to get rid of it. Congo still own for 4 years now and still enjoy playing it .

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Hmm. Interesting that the "turd congo" is presently on your wishlist.

Not saying i dont want the game, however compared to shadow its complete crap, IMO.

#34 5 years ago

Both are really fun but I'd put more quarters into shadow on location.

#35 5 years ago

I would value a like condition congo at about $200 higher due to rarity but I like the gameplay of shadow more. I own both. I hated shadow for quite a while until I really got it if you know what I mean. Congo on the other hand, I fell in love with immediately. The volcano shot imho is the most satisfying shot in pinball. Simple gameplay but fun. I felt the same way about congo as I did about scared stiff. I loves SS but eventually the shallowness of the rules meant it had to go. If space was not an issue SS would have never left. I suspect congo and someday shadow will also have to leave.

Both are fun games which sell easily. Congo is becoming harder to find (although even shadow seems to be getting harder these days). Good luck with your decision.

#36 5 years ago

8 years ago when I first started playing Congo I thought it was a great game, but I've found as my playing of it has gone on it is not a pin that I would ever care to own. I find the more I play Shadow the more I love it.

#37 5 years ago

That's like robbing Peter to pay Paul

#38 5 years ago

No Idea. Woverines is probably my favorite game..

I admittedly have strange taste

Quoted from Blackbeard:

And I can't see how congo was the worst pin you've ever owned! I love the pin.
It's all subjective. However, you have owned both, so your critique is a fair one.

#39 5 years ago

shadow is deeper and more complex. More difficult and definitely a players machine over congo. I like the rules and layout of congo as well. But history has always told congo was in the catagory as JM and DM for most of it's life. Shadow just barely a step beyond that. Right now congo is the flavor of the month, but i'm sure it will go back to it's place in line when the novelty wears off.

It shouldn't come down to value all the time anyway when doing trades. If you like the game, and the game you have is getting old, it's a good trade for you. you are getting something you want, and the person you are trading is getting what they want. Both parties are happy, it's a good trade.

I'd be curious to see what people would really own, if every pinball machine was valued exactly the same. Where there isn't some perceived idea of "status" games, or top 100 list (which some people buy because they think it makes their collection great or something). If people bought strictly on the basis on how fun the game was for them. I bet a lot of collections around this site would be a lot different looking.

#40 5 years ago

I love my Shadow but I have only played Congo a few times. It seemed like fun. I don't like the Congo's translite. Like TS, the artwork is hit or miss and there are alternatives. If you are bored with the Shadow, then do the trade and put in there a caveat that if either of you decide to sell, then you get first dibs.

#41 5 years ago

They are both great. I prefer the Shadow. Of course the only real answer is BOTH!

Play them both and see which one you like the best. Spend some quality time with both decks and make the decision that feels right for you. You really can't go wrong either way!

We expect a full report once you are done.

#42 5 years ago

I have both.

Congo is worth a few hundred more than Shadow. I would say Congo is far more fun.

#43 5 years ago

I love the "flavor of the month" comments. Congo has been a hot title for a few years now. Same with shadow. Both pins, like most others, get hotter, then get colder, etc. with pricing. But to say Congo is the flavor of the month is ridiculous.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I love the "flavor of the month" comments. Congo has been a hot title for a few years now. Same with Shadow. Both pins, like most others, get hotter, then get colder, etc. with pricing. But to say Congo is the flavor of the month is ridiculous.

Exactly. Congo has been the "flavor of the month" for about 3 years.

#45 5 years ago

Congo is more fun to play in my opinion. Shadow is a harder colder game but the diverters and battlefield are a lot of fun. Both are good games worth owning. Congo typically goes for about $500 more then a TS is the same condition so you would be getting a better deal in the trade. If the Congo is nice I'd make the trade. There are twice as many TS available so you can always get it again later pretty easily.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Exactly. Congo has been the "flavor of the month" for about 3 years.

CONGO flavor of the Years!

#47 5 years ago

Well, WH2O has't come down in value yet. Maybe Congo will hold like WH2O. Maybe not. It does feel like Congo is having it's moment right now.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Congo is more fun to play in my opinion. Shadow is a harder colder game but the diverters and battlefield are a lot of fun. Both are good games worth owning. Congo typically goes for about $500 more then a TS is the same condition so you would be getting a better deal in the trade. If the Congo is nice I'd make the trade. There are twice as many TS available so you can always get it again later pretty easily.

This.

It's not that I dislike TS per se. I just found it cold and not as "fun" as congo for some reason. Although, TS is the much harder game. The modes are eh, but getting to Final Battle is cool. Just felt like a chore to play. Funny though, it's a lot like Wh20 with the modes, but I find wh20 so much more fun for some reason. I think it's the theme.

You won't beat TS anytime soon and if you do, it won't be often.

Seems like you've had your share of TS and are looking for something new. You can always get another TS back if you miss it. Congos are rare! AND FUN! TRADE IT!

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Congo is just much more rare. I'd get that if you have the chance. You can always find a Shadow.
Good luck!

yup. you already have shadow. grab the congo then grab another shadow in a bit

#50 5 years ago

416564-i.jpgTo me they look best next to each other

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 50.00
There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside