(Topic ID: 104581)

The Bally Game Show all above playfield lights are out. Fix?

By Minneapolispin

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

10710802_10152268245792396_3833323612377691167_n.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I picked up a nice Game Show this weekend for a great price. Everything works great, except many lights are no working. The backglass lights, one that light up the ‘Applause’ sign, and all under-playfield insert lights work fine. The problem is all the above the playfield lights are out (the ones in the pop bumpers, under all the plastics and slingshots, and the ones in the back that make up the marque effect). Any idea on what is causing this and a fix? Blown fuse or specific chip out?

#2 9 years ago

bump

#3 9 years ago

My lights don't work at the back of the pf, the chaser lamps.
Started a thread on it a few days ago
Haven tore back into it yet but it looks like the prob is bridge rectifier on the small board at the top middle of backbox(SOS board?)

#4 9 years ago

It's strange that on mine, all the lower playfield lights work, but all the above playfield are out. I'll have my regular service tech come out next week and will post what he does to correct it. He hasn't been stumped yet.

By the way, what a super fun game! I've played it a few times on location and always thought it was quirky and the bright colors made it something I wanted. I'm discovering in the first 24 hours of owning it that while simple, it's actually a pretty deep game with lots to shoot for and has good strategy. So far I'm very happy and know I'll love it once I get the lighting issue resolved and deck it out in full LED. As a kid of the 80's who spent countless hours watching the daytime game shows, it brings back fun memories. Sale of the Century!

#5 9 years ago

Two common things most people don't realize about this game:
1) The chaser lamps in the backboard/marquee are controlled lamps, not GI.
2) The connector pins on the back of the backboard which are attached to the board for the chaser lamps are often fatigued/bent and have cold solder joints. This is due to the stress applied to them every time the playfield is raised. Reflow the solder to these pins, or replace the pins. To do either of these, you will have to remove the entire playfield from the game.

As for the other issues, I would check the connections on the interface board. Also, as per usual, check for burnt GI connectors.

Anyway, I just wanted to comment on what are common issues and solutions for Game Show! Great game, very easy for non-pinheads to understand...I had one and sold it a few years ago. I would love to get another one. Cheese at its finest.

-Mark

#6 9 years ago

Remember to shoot the left loop first when starting the 4m mode. If you start on the left you can alternate forever, as long as you don't miss.

#7 9 years ago

Let me know if you map out the LED kit, I think about how rad this will look every time I play it.
Game show has some rad colors, and an amazing mirrored back glass. Underrated and undervalued pin for sure. I scored a spare playfield for mine recently!

1 month later
#9 9 years ago

I got the entire game fully -LED'd and it looks great. I haven't been able to figure out how to get the back chaser bulbs going yet. The game is a bit dark, so I ordered some flex LED bulbs today. I'm hoping I can angle them down by the flippers to shoot up into the center area of the playfield.

I really like this game. It's simple, but has challenging elements that make me keep coming back to it.

10710802_10152268245792396_3833323612377691167_n.jpg10710802_10152268245792396_3833323612377691167_n.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-the-game-show-50-of-lights-wont-work and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.