IMG_7632 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5752 (resized).jpeg
wms_wpc_backbox_assembly.jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 5.00.20 PM (resized).png
IMG_7617 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5184 Use bayonet lamp socket for chair bulbs. Posted by DumbAss (1 year ago)

Post #5197 Pictures of using bayonet holders for chair bulbs. Posted by DumbAss (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider npo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#713 7 years ago

Well, I am officially joining this club in early June. Bought one through Pinball Universe, and they begin freshening up my game as I have paid the deposit to authorize the work.

With prices knocking on the door of $6000 on Pinside, I didn't fret much with going with Pinball Universe. I talked with Denis for a good half hour, and he was very thorough and answered all of my questions, putting my mind at ease and giving me the confidence to give him my business.

Plus, the game when shipped is fully insured, and the shipping added only $200. All playfield issues will be addressed, plastics replaced if damaged, no magnet burn, topper included, and all rubbers and bulbs changed out to fresh ones.

I'll be sent pictures as the game is cleaned up and overhauled, so once I get some, I'll post here for everyone's observations. I understand this is a 24 year old game so it may not be CQ; however, I am definitely making sure I am happy with the work before I nonchalantly toss money into the wind.

So, yep, looking forward to feeling the power soon !! Of course, ColorDMD will be ordered, and I would appreciate everyone's thoughts on "day one preventative maintenance" like the magnet fuse mentioned above for example. I am going to start at post one and go through this whole thread. Inputs are welcome.

1 week later
#736 7 years ago

Dude, where are you pulling this stuff from? If you are making those graphics, make a book of them, and I'll gladly buy it.

#749 7 years ago

Here comes my TAF . It'll be here on June 01. Coincidentally, that is a "Wednesday" .

af_right_cabinet_(resized).jpgaf_right_cabinet_(resized).jpgAF_left_cabinet_(resized).jpgAF_left_cabinet_(resized).jpgaf_right_head_(resized).jpgaf_right_head_(resized).jpg[att=3174458,710405 AF_front_(resized).jpgAF_front_(resized).jpgaf_kickout_hole_(resized).jpgaf_kickout_hole_(resized).jpgaf_upper_play_(resized).jpgaf_upper_play_(resized).jpgcaption=""]af_head_(resized).jpgaf_head_(resized).jpg

Already got the gold roms waiting as well as the Greed book mod, ordered the "Thing" sign, and saving up for a ColorDMD. Will add a sub and do the usual speaker upgrade.

1 month later
#815 7 years ago

3 more days.....and I go pick up my new TAF ...!

1ea5c239fb6b76deb27782b48d7914dac5b91b5d_(resized).jpg1ea5c239fb6b76deb27782b48d7914dac5b91b5d_(resized).jpg

Plan is to drive 8.5 hours EACH....way. Leave the house at 0800 Sunday morning, return around 0230 Monday morning.

#822 7 years ago

Two more days...!

995deb288e3cfc68b81514f0456df32fe4701f4b_(resized).jpg995deb288e3cfc68b81514f0456df32fe4701f4b_(resized).jpgebc0fe7d89b6bb16581b14b5fafdb7c3f4c4c824_(resized).jpgebc0fe7d89b6bb16581b14b5fafdb7c3f4c4c824_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#835 7 years ago

Time to make this thing sing this weekend.Sound!!!_(resized).jpgSound!!!_(resized).jpg

Maybe this weekend I'll actually take some pictures OF the machine ....!

#837 7 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

Do you mind documenting your speaker upgrade method and how/what speakers you selected?
Thanks,
RussM

Sure - will do this weekend. What I really need to do is start incorporating the external amplifiers like I do on Stern machines. THAT makes such a world of difference....

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addition-of-boss-amplifiers-to-stern-machines

#876 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Remove the big metal bin at the bottom of the game and make sure no screws or other object has fallen in it and blocking the ball.

Preach. Saw this on an old TAF. Had two bulbs blocking the ball to leave the metal bin. It took forever for the ball to get back in place. It's destination after Thing let's it go is ultimately the ball lock switches in the Swamp (I am new to this game but pretty sure on this.).

#884 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

And this was located inside the big box under the PF correct? So there were two bulbs blocking the path of the ball...i have never seen the inside of that box, I was under the impression it was just a big hollowed out box. Anybody have pics of the inside? Is this box hard to remove? Thanks!

The box is hollow. I don't know exactly how those bulbs made their way down there, but I waited, and waited, and waited for the ball to make its way out of there and finally said "We have to figure this out" and that's when I saw the bulbs in the exit of the metal box. Th box is not hard to remove. There are (I believe) two screws that actually hold the whole thing in place. Once those two screws are removed, you have to be a tiny bit forceful to get it to dislodge from the underside of the playfield, but it will come out. Note, the words "tiny bit"; it takes a rather minimal effort.

1 week later
#980 7 years ago

Random question here, guys, and maybe I missed it in the thread here. When it comes time to swap out all 5 pop bumper caps - the white one in particular - where do you get one that specific? Do you just order a regular one and modify it, or is there a place that has it "pre-modded" and ready?

Just curious - thanks!

2 weeks later
#1048 7 years ago

Hey guys need a lil help here. Looks like this is a white wire with purple striping. It is under the PF near the swamp harness (visible in the picture). It is part of the wiring loom that is zip-tied together right behind my hand in the photo. It is NOT part of the molexes that hooks up the swamp switches to the harness of the game.

Appreciate any help you can give me or a reference photo of where the wire attaches to. Thanks!

20160807_215956_(resized).jpg20160807_215956_(resized).jpg

#1049 7 years ago

I think I figured it out. Does it go to the shooter lane rollover switch marked with the red square in this picture?

Broken_Wire_v2_(resized).JPGBroken_Wire_v2_(resized).JPG

#1051 7 years ago

So my guess was right. Good man! Thank you, Lee!

Didn't even think to look at the switch matrix in the manual....! 4 years, and I am still a noob.

#1068 7 years ago

All right, I have two questions:

1. I have rebuilt my Swamp VUK - new coil, coil sleeve, and spring. My playfield had some pretty nasty holes for the mounting hardware, and I had to use wood filler to make it to where all my hex scres could be used to mount my under playfield hardware. When my Swamp VUK fires, the ball pretty much always deflects off of the right slingshots - not enough to trigger the slingshot coil, but it will hit it and deflect to the left flipper.

How do I "adjust" the VUK ? Do you loosen the mounting hardware and adjust? Do you "tweak" the bracket? I hear people "adjusting" the VUK, but I don't know exactly what that means.

2. I had to replace my trough arm responsible for launching balls out of the ball trough and into the shooter lane - all new hardware, and it works like a champs now. Unfortunately, after kicking a ball into the shooter lane, the trough arm does not go down far enough, and that hangs the other two balls up from rolling down into place where they should be in case I start locking balls.

What is the best way to adjust this? Add washers between the trough arm mounting hardware and the playfield? Get a shorter spring that will pull the arm further down and if so, what would you recommend (I used the spring outlined in the manual, and this is where I am now) ? Bend the arm so it is lower?

I appreciate any advice. I may make my own thread so don't be surprised if you see this elsewhere. Thanks!

7 months later
#1379 7 years ago

Mine is on the chopping block. Ready to let it go.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-addams-family-the-11

2 months later
#1464 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Well, tried and tried again during game-play with the glass off and just wasn't able to replicate the "no, no, no Thing" thing... I'm starting to guess there's sthg wrong with my TAF... Does anyone know how to exactly accomplish this event?

Light all the "THING" letter in the back. To do that, shoot the left ramp with the top right flipper. Every time you hit that ramp, you'll get a letter. Complete THING, and once they are all flashing together, shoot the "mini ramp" right up the middle. You'll get "no no no" everytime. Everyone once in a while the alternate call out is "no time for that now!"

2 months later
#1603 6 years ago
Quoted from mjenison:

I know, right? Who puts a bulb condom on one side of the chair and uses a colored LED for the other side??

Or uses a chair cliffy but not a swamp cliffy D: ...???

4 months later
#1898 6 years ago
Quoted from Dahawk007:

Anyone here have any issues installing colordmd led into their Addams? Got mine in tonight and have no power to the display. I only own one machine so I can’t test it on another. I’m not very knowledgeable on repairing my machine at times.

Just wanted to say thank you for these pictures. Just put a LED ColorDMD in my TAF, which had an LCD. Couldn't remember what went where when putting the Thing PCB back on. These pictures helped immensely.

2 months later
#2106 6 years ago

It finally happened a week ago.....

20180325_164337 (resized).jpg20180325_164337 (resized).jpg

But I got my new glass in the mail and everything is all better now!!!

20180404_110649 (resized).jpg20180404_110649 (resized).jpg

If you need new translite glass cut, give OneDayGlass a try. I have the measurements in a link in my thread where this happened, I put the order in Monday and got the glass in the mail 9 days later. Fit great and looks awesome!!

3 months later
#2260 5 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Ok let me get this straight. I complete like all the mansion stuff, I get to the question mark which takes me tour the mansion. I loose one freaking ball and the whole thing restarts all the way from the beginning?? Like ALL the way ??

Nice kick in the mouth, eh?

No ball saver like in Horde. Makes you a better player ; ).

4 weeks later
#2298 5 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Well this is going into that starting Monday ![quoted image]

Let us know how it goes. i am doing mine after i am done with AFM

7 months later
#2845 5 years ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

Anyone put a new playfield in their TAF? If so where did you purchase? Is it worth getting a Gold playfield instead of the Silver or bronze levels?

I'll just say it : 98% of people wouldnt even know the differences between a gold, silver or bronze. If you laid all 3 of them in a random order, I'd be floored if anyone outside of a restoration expert could correctly identify all 3 of them. I'd be willing to bet that a silver, to the vast majority of people here, would be passed off as a gold if you didnt tell them.

I wouldn't sweat it. Anything is better than the original PFs from 1992, unless of course professionally restored from Kruzman, HEP, or the like.

8 months later
#3423 4 years ago

And then when it starts resetting even with the Kahr board you can do it right - by properly diagnosing it and fixing the problem.

Had a Kahr board in mine and it still reset. Fixed it the right way and haven't looked back.

2 weeks later
#3488 4 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

Does anyone still make or sell the GREED book mod that encapsulates the two light bulbs?

I might have a spare. I can look when I get home 1 week from today and let you know next weekend.

2 months later
#3603 4 years ago
Quoted from WhiskeyTango:

I'm thinking of selling my TAF and not sure where to price it. LMK what you think.
Features:
- Clean Original Boards(Gold ROMs)
- Clean GI Connectors
- NEW Playfield
- Perfect Translite
- NEW Clear Ramp
- NEW Plastics
- NEW Fused High Power Magnet Board (barakandl)
- NEW “THING” board (Pinshaker)
- ColorDMD LCD
- LED OCD board
- GI OCD board
- Uncle Fester Mod
- GREED Book Mod
- Bookcase Decal Mod
- THING box Decal Mod
- Comet LEDs throughout (No clown vomit)
- Custom Apron Cards
- NEW Chrome Williams Legs
- NEW Leg Levelers
Additional Parts included, but not installed:
- Pop cap set
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Dh3t7ZcsywQt45uz8

Go for $8K. Only thing I see hurting it is flipper button wear.

#3614 4 years ago
Quoted from gac:

Are they pre-programmed specific to the game or do you have to program them in any way? Thanks

Per their website:

GI OCD is interchangeable between WPC95 and WPC89 games. The only difference between the two selections available is the default configuration that is loaded on the board when it is shipped. You can still use either kit in either type of game, but you will need to reconfigure the board using the PC software if you do not choose the configuration to match your game.

#3624 4 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Question for the tech crowd:
I’m having an odd flasher issue. Left bolt and thing flipper flashers don’t work properly. First I noticed that the thing flipper flasher was out. Replaced the bulb, still no go. So I figured that there must be an issue with the wiring. Looked under the playfield, and lo and behold: the black/yellow wire attached to the left bolt was clipped. Resoldered it, and now the thing flipper flasher works, but the lightning bolt no longer works. Wiring looks good otherwise. Anyone have any ideas?

you swap out the lightning bolt bulb to be safe?

#3626 4 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Problem solved. Must’ve been purely coincidental, but the lightning bolt flasher was burnt out. I never bothered checking it because it was literally just working before reconnecting the wire. Thanks!

Best kind of repairs!!

#3630 4 years ago
Quoted from MintIndeed:

The problem may be between the stool and the backbox... I just realized there was a mounting hole on the ColorDMD in-between "too high to close the backbox" and "very bottom". Basically one notch below Durzel's pictures above, allows the backbox to close and allows the DMD to settle fully into the U-channel.
It's still a little tighter fit to get the translight back in - but that could be a number of factors (I also replaced the speaker panel cover with a new aftermarket reproduction, and I have had some difficulty getting the LED OCD board positioned to play nicely with the position of the Thing LED board connector). After some jostling around I was able to get the translight over the lip.

Did you just have a conversation with yourself xD ?

3 weeks later
#3716 4 years ago

I had a similar issue, and my problem was the Thing box was not aligned properly to the rest of the subway hardware to get the ball to the VUK that ultimately sends it up to the Swamp. The ball kept getting hung up there; you could physically see it hanging between the box and the subway. Once I got that properly aligned, I did not have an issue since.

Don't sell the game. Once you get this, all should be good. This is a small issue - a nagging and irritating one - but definitely don't sell it. Walk away for a couple days and clear your head. I can't speak with 100% certainty, but I think you would regret selling it.

I have had SO MANY issues with my TAF. Probably as many as the rest of my B/Ws combined. I even did put it up FS here on Pinside 3 years ago; I was that over the issues. Thankfully, I realized I was making an emotional decision and pulled the ad.

You'll get it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 159.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

30,000 (OBO)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider npo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-the-addams-family-club-tafmembers-fans-welcome?tu=npo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.