6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3,566 posts
  • 401 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by monkfe
  • Topic is favorited by 252 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,140 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

TAF Thing Board Comparison Small (resized).jpg
82CB50C0-2701-4BF6-BF3D-AB51CB5FE2AB (resized).jpeg
800px-WPCPowerBoxInside (resized).jpg
IMG_20200122_221943955 (resized).jpg
Photo Jan 19, 7 26 12 PM (resized).jpg
Photo Jan 19, 7 11 27 PM (resized).jpg
Photo Jan 19, 7 11 16 PM (resized).jpg
Photo Jan 19, 7 05 09 PM (resized).jpg
Photo Jan 19, 6 49 21 PM (resized).jpg
Photo Jan 19, 6 49 11 PM (resized).jpg
Photo Jan 19, 6 50 04 PM (resized).jpg
7f336f318d27168fa5d871dc54a92f9b (resized).jpg
BD080232-B757-427E-B9CA-2CF78D5F8CE7 (resized).jpeg
20200104_095014 (resized).jpg
20200104_095006 (resized).jpg
B083B26C-FEC2-4CE8-B4DF-F57F916C6A8E (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider monkfe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3076 7 months ago

So I'm is this misfit club this week...picked up a TAFG. It was a gamble as the owner never cleaned it in the 15 years he owned it or even knew he had to change the batteries (completely corroded). Fortunately no damage at all to the MPU board or any of the boards for that matter. All the gold needs re-plating, the playfield was so dirty- black everywhere, pop bumper bracket broken, all the wrong flipper coils. but after some Novis, the playfied is actually very nice and I'm contemplating having it clear coated (the slightest "dent" just after thing...recommendations please. So a couple of questions- I ordered the parts to install the magnet fuses...what size fuse though? what is the Thing mod. I did remove my thing from my box (hey now) other than being dirty, it has a scrape down along the middle finger from the nail rearward. I'm guessing its hitting the box cover? Fix for this?...I didn't play the game before I started breaking it down, but it did start up...to factory resets restored...didn't want to do anything with those batteries in there...Advise welcome

#3077 7 months ago
20190630_115416 (resized).jpg
#3080 7 months ago
Quoted from jp1985:

What number is yours?

Quoted from Neal_W:

Welcome. Hopefully that playfield will clean up nice. I would not bother clear coating it, which is huge big undertaking to remove everything. Just clean and wax and it should hold up fine with home use.
The scrape along the top of the thing is normal, since that is where he pushes the box open. Clean him up and add some touch up paint as necessary, and clean inside the lid of the box.

I removed the ramp today....I figured if I did that I might as well go all the way ...and they look awesome..I have to rebuild all the bumpers too...so I'm half way there...

#3083 7 months ago
Quoted from Durzel:

How is that MPU not trashed from that battery acid!? It looks remarkably good considering, although to my untrained eye the solder pads below the holder look darkened a bit.
What would be the best thing to do in this situation to neutralise the board?

Nope...looks great...

20190702_070858 (resized).jpg
#3110 7 months ago

Has anyone installed small bearings under the Thing box lid to prevent the inherent scraping of the top of the hand? Seems like it would be a pretty simple task, just curious of the correct location to put them. I'm thinking like a nylon bushing on each side of the center plastic held together with a nylon screw and nut? I'm sure there is something in the RC world to fit the bill.

2 weeks later
#3127 6 months ago

Who makes the aftermarket metal "thing" box - the one under the playfield...I've seen some on restorations that look way heavy duty compared to the flimsy original.

#3129 6 months ago

yes that one...but hard to tell if its made any differently than the original...

#3134 6 months ago
Quoted from jj44114:

Anyone else cut out this diode as suggested?

Pulled out the schematic for my TZ, I assume the board is the same, If you cut the diode d17, you would effectively shut down the left magnet all together if I'm reading this right, but the upper and right magnet use the same type circuit, just off a different header J-126. So I don't know how removing this would resolve any magnet/power transistor issue.
...ok Looked at it again, yes I see that the diode lets the coil bleed off after, but still not sure how this will save your power transistor any better than the other two magnets, but I am curious about this....

#3136 6 months ago

So what do you guys think of my thing box mod... I'd like to find a slightly lighter bearing...these are more like shower door type...a little overbuilt and subsequently adds more weight to the lid. Can't fully test it out yet as my playfield is out, but went by the wear marks to position the bearings.eyeballed it (like Forest Whittaker) ...

20190726_123145 (resized).jpg20190726_161835 (resized).jpg20190726_161840 (resized).jpg
#3142 6 months ago
Quoted from codered9394:

What is everyone doing about the blue pad on the bookcase that cushions the ball hits? I cant find them with the u.s. suppliers. I was not aware that is was suppose to be there so my bookcase has paid the price. Thanks

speaking of which, the adhesive that comes with these seem inadequate at best, what are people using to glue these to whatever they're attached too? I used some 3m spray adhesive, seems to be holding for now...but if there is something better I'd like to know.

#3160 6 months ago
Quoted from drummermike:

This is what I did today to stop Thing from getting scratched. No disassembly required.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Interested to see how this holds up...I would think it would cut through it in time...

3 weeks later
#3228 6 months ago
Quoted from Brootull:

So the previous owner installed LED’s and some of the bulbs, particularly the lights on the vault, are always lit whether they are supposed to be on or not. It’s rather faint but they are on nonetheless. Anyone know the cause and is there a fix?

I had a similar issue with a light mod for the TZ- basically a scoop light just like yours I'm sure. When I would first turn the machine on, it immediately lit up and always stayed on even though it was supposed to only light when the shot was lit...anyway the bottom line is the diode was installed incorrectly as it came pre wired with a molex connector. This caused issues on the lamp matrix which caused all kinds of ghosting on other lamps in the matrix. Once found and corrected...all those issues went away...

#3239 6 months ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I think it's a $35-$45 item.
There's got to be a short run manufacturer that can do it cheaply.

my future son in law uses this place...says the boards are very reasonable...jlcpcb.com and easyeda.com to design the boards...

1 month later
#3350 4 months ago

Can someone with a TAFG post a pic of the extra ball switch (inside of course) and maybe where it connects to the wiring harness... mine doesn't seem to have the wiring for the light for some reason, just the switch? Thanks!

#3353 4 months ago
Quoted from jp1985:

This is correct, they did not come lit from the factory.

hmm. that's odd as it shows in the matrix?...Why would it be in the matrix, but not installed? My TZ has it installed.

#3355 4 months ago

Good to know..thanks....another project...

3 months later
#3546 23 days ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Maybe its time to check the voltage at the power box. The first part of any restoration IMO, is to replace the termistor and varistor in power box. They are old in 99% of all machines, old originals. Many problems with the dmd board and display come from low current at those 2 safety features in power box.
Image is from pinwiki.[quoted image]

First I've heard of these being an issue (from age). Which values are you replacing them with? ...I'll order some from gpe

1 week later
#3560 16 days ago

what are you using to level it?..I use an app on my phone called pinlevel or something to that effect...best thing ever...you can check the upper playfield as well as the lower playfield to see if you have any twist to the cabinet which may make it off a bit.

1 week later
#3566 4 days ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

Just picked up an Addams. One issue is that the thing works fine but makes some noise in the gearing or motor when activated. Is there recommending servicing or anything to do to get rid of the noise?
Thanks,
Dave

...use synthetic grease to lube it up....there is a youtube video of a guy doing this....some good tips there too

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Hardware
CPR Playfields
$ 16.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Radford, VA
€ 18.95
Wanted
$ 65.00
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
7,500 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Frederick, MD
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Wanted
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 1,099.00
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider monkfe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside