IMG_6365 (resized).JPG
IMG_7632 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5752 (resized).jpeg
wms_wpc_backbox_assembly.jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 5.00.20 PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5184 Use bayonet lamp socket for chair bulbs. Posted by DumbAss (1 year ago)

Post #5197 Pictures of using bayonet holders for chair bulbs. Posted by DumbAss (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mmr61184.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2064 6 years ago

I am really thinking about buying a CPR playfield but looks to me like the colors see off "much brighter" i cant tell if its just the pictures or what. Anybody have any thoughts that has seen them in person compared to their game.

#2069 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Yeah, they're brighter than the ones that went out with machines back in the 90's. But correct or not? I can't say. I DO like it, the bright colors look sooooo nice.

Yeah I may have to breakdown and buy one, I don't think I will be able to find somebody to restore my original

#2071 6 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

I had a CPR repro on order but decided to cancel. I figure now that everyone bought the repro, great condition originals will be more valuable. Second, some of CPR's colors (eg. the greens), while "original" according to the factory films, never actually looked that way on any original playfield. So the playfields look great, but don't look right to avid TAF players.
Not trying to start a debate here, I think it's great CPR made these as many TAF playfields are trashed. But if you have an original PF in great condition with maybe a couple of small flaws, I'd hang onto it.

I agree with you %100, mine is not trashed but not good either and with the right skilled restorer would blow any remake away.

#2085 6 years ago
Quoted from thedoctor:

What's with all the trashy machines in the market lately being passed off for "collector quality" at ridiculous prices? I see there's also a TOTAN playfield for around $6000. Has the site been overtaken by scammers or are people really this presumptuous about their used stuff?

thedoctor see my thread below o asked this same question. I took a step back from pinball for about a year and now I can’t believe the prices. People more or less attribute it to supply being so low. Games getting bought up restored and not leaving collectors hands. It’s crazy

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-happened-to-prices

#2086 6 years ago

Does anybody have an original playfield from a swap that they did or are doing that is in ok shape. I would like to buy one to restore

#2089 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Hey all, my wife wants a Addams, so I’m looking to join the Club.
Do you all think I can find a nice shopped out TAF for around 6k? And if so could someone point me in the right direction?
I have a line on one @7k, but there’s a handful of issues (front decal has bad wrinkles, chips in the cab, scratches on the sides, cheapest LEDs, needs a shop job, Dirty) I believe should bring down the price a little... maybe I’m wrong. Lemmeknow

Based on what I have been seeing I don’t think that’s going to cut it. Probably looking at 8-9k

#2096 6 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

$8K? I think mine would be on a truck heading to the lone star state as we speak.

What condition is it in is the key?

#2101 6 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

I have had mine for about 15 years and I paid $900 for it back then. Its in really nice shape. Are they really going for $8k now? I dont think I have seen that.

That was a steal, if the wear is minimal to none yeah it’s worth that

2 weeks later
#2135 6 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

any help on this?

Do you have a picture of the connector. It may be easier to help you out.

#2139 6 years ago

Pinball life may have them too. Great Plains is another good resource

#2144 6 years ago

Can one of you guys take a picture of the wiring on the light back board. Mine is hacked to crap. And I want to rebuild the wire harness. Whoever owned the game before me staples in bayonet sockets and put 455 bulbs in.

#2147 6 years ago

Bryan_Kelly are you sure that’s right. That’s what mine looks like I assumed that silver wire and bayonet sockets are a hack.

#2149 6 years ago
Quoted from PinZig:

Nope, that's how mine is wired as well. They are controlled lamps, not GI.

Wow learned something new today

1 week later
#2185 5 years ago

Has anybody on here used the Phoenix arcade decals on their game. Wanted to know if you found they were easy to work with.

#2188 5 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I’ve purchased a lot of decals from Phoenix , they’ve got a great product. I have their TZ front decal they did a short run of, it is great, easy as can be I guess
Edit;
Ive been looking for a front decal, where did you find Phoenix arcade decals? I don’t see them on their site

eBay but you have to buy the set. Email darin see if he has any front decals laying around he will sell

2 weeks later
#2201 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

How the hell do you get to the back edge of the playfield to clean and take the ramps off? It's on a damn pivot nut and it's too close to the top edge to fit any tools back there.. is the only option to remove the damn entire playfield from the game? I'm not sure my wife and I can get it out, it's too bloody heavy.

I am afraid so it’s a giant pain in the ass but the only way is to pull it from the game

4 years later
#5560 1 year ago

Is there any difference between the magnet burn protection kits that are out there. Between eBay, Marco and pinball life they are all various prices. My gut says there isn’t much of a difference but just want to make sure my new playfield is well protected

#5564 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Bypass eBay altogether and go straight to the source.
https://nvram.weebly.com/wms-af-magnet-driver.html

Damn I already ordered it from eBay, oh well This works just as good as the in-line fuses?

#5565 1 year ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

Damn I already ordered it From eBay. This works just as good as the inline fuses?

#5571 1 year ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

OK,fellow Family members.here's the deal with magnet burn! The magnet driver is under the "Thing flipper" now, in this position it gets a tiny bit of rubber off the flipper! So,over time it builds up, overheats and causes magnet burn!So all you gotta do is this>under the PF,remove the connectors from the unit.Unscrew the driver, and remove it.Now,wash it clean with hot water.Dry,and reassemble! Good for another 30 yrs!If you wonder how I, A idiot,know this >I asked my tech about it years ago, and he told me!Its real easy, try it!!

Arent you better off just getting the replacement board as extra precaution

#5578 1 year ago

Is the back of your guys DMD/ speaker panel painted? I have always seen the back side left natural color of the MDF with an ESQ initial printed on for other games but my TAF is painted on both sides. Just curious since I am starting a resto and had to buy a new panel and wanted to know how to paint it to keep looking original. I know it’s a trivial thing but I am a part n in the ass some times

#5593 1 year ago

Starting my playfield swap and was going through and documenting and taking pics of the solenoids and noticed something I wasn’t sure about.

Is the thing kick out supposed to have a diode on it? Just didn’t seem right to me but also never really noticed it. Do you guys have the same set up. Also don’t remember seeing a coil wrapper like that before

E84F51A8-8730-4D2E-9E52-D6F424C4F5B6 (resized).jpegE84F51A8-8730-4D2E-9E52-D6F424C4F5B6 (resized).jpeg
#5595 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

No.
LTG : )

Yeah that didn’t seem right to me either

#5596 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

No.

Any reason why you could think it was thrown in there besides the simple fact that is what whoever owned this game before me had on hand

#5598 1 year ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

It’s whatever they happened to have at the time.
Don’t overthink this shit!

Thanks man, I will remember the words of the zen master during the whole process

#5602 1 year ago

I posted this in the restoration section but also figured I throw this on here since it’s a TAF dedicated thread

I reached out to kstairmantis about a replacement (underside playfield) thing box for my TAF restoration, to which his response was, this is on his list but he has yet to make any. After brief back and forth I am going to send him mine so he can use as a template and also mentioned that I would throw something up here to see if there is genuine interest. I know its a minor detail but mine looks like crap all old and grey and will look even worse when I put all new stainless scoops into the game. I have seen Bryan_Kelly nickel plate this and the line box for KornFreak28 way back when he did his game for him but with the price of plating these days that's

#5607 1 year ago

Ha I think my game is missing that I don’t ever remember seeing anything like that. does anybody make those?

#5615 1 year ago

What does this board do, looks like in the book it says it’s the 5 switch and diode board but what I don’t get is it’s attached to the lighting wire harness not the switch harness.

5DA35164-4E02-4CF1-899F-E001F07BE716 (resized).jpeg5DA35164-4E02-4CF1-899F-E001F07BE716 (resized).jpeg
#5619 1 year ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I"d say it provides diodes for 3 controlled lamps on the playfield somewhere.

Thanks, I suck at reading the manual

#5621 1 year ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

You can set this in the adjustments.
I believe giving you those three is the factory setting.

You are correct sir

#5622 1 year ago

Does the opto circuit board on the bottom of the playfield control the thing flips opto at all. A while back I accidentally hit touched the connector and shorted out the game and from that point the thing flips never worked. I replaced the optos and still didn’t work. I am in the process of a restore and sending out my boards to Chris Hibler to do NVRAM and some other minor repairs, I would also send him the opto board to test if it’s possible I blew something up on it again not even sure if that is even the right thing or if there is somewhere else I should be looking.

#5628 1 year ago

Do you guys know what is supposed to go in these holes. They are t-nuts that are on the top side of the playfield but there was nothing in them on my game. There are 2 on each side

2CCD38B9-511F-4B60-A79A-57BB160982A1 (resized).jpeg2CCD38B9-511F-4B60-A79A-57BB160982A1 (resized).jpeg
#5631 1 year ago
Quoted from orangedude71:

I have the same un-used ones on mine.. Im gonna guess they were used in the factory for assembly.

Ah ok, I am not going bother putting t-nuts in when I do my playfield swap

2 weeks later
#5647 1 year ago

Have any of you used the clear plastic bumper bodies on your games. I am intrigued but wonder if it will spill all the light out instead of concentrating it through the bumper cap. What about the transparent skirts. I usually like to keep my games looking original as possible but not opposed to a slight upgrade here and there.

#5652 1 year ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Whatever you do, don’t fuck it up! You only want to do those 5 pops once!

Hell NO!!! Once is enough no desire to do them more than once this is why I am asking about to put a Marco order in so was trying to figure out if I should go a little outside the box

#5653 1 year ago
Quoted from dmacy:

I have on a couple of swaps here with the clear bodies. Haven’t done the clear skirts as I don’t like the look personally. They clear bodies help add much needed light to that area. I guess some would argue it’s supposed to be dark but I like to see the game myself.

Yeah I am on the fence on the bodies. I meant the translucent colored skirts like the red skirts that you can somewhat see through or even green that goes with the grass in the cemetery. I know it’s sacrilege for those that are purists so I probably will keep it original

#5654 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Old school bodies were translucent.
I really like that look.
Clear bodies in my opinion are too clear and dont hide the wires.
Zitt used to have frosted ones, but no more....
I really like the frosted ones.
On my current TAF build, Ill just use the clear ones and sandblast or paint the insides with frosted clear.
Also, get rid of the stupid "stapled" flatwire sockets.
Just use the round wire sockets, molex them and integrate the diodes into the harness.
Molex the entire game! Including switch wire assemblies.
Pop-bumpers now are simple and easy to maintain.

Never thought of Molexing those I was going to staple. I am slowly leaning towards molexing the entire game. I bought the supplies to Molex the flipper coils but I may order more stuff and do all the switches and rest of the coils too.

#5661 1 year ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

I had the trans colored bodies installed on my new field to give it some POP (No pun intended, or hey why not)
I like the look personally
Got the call today from Paul at Virtual Pin Cabinets and my full trimmed Addams Family cabinet will ship next week
Super Stoked !! [quoted image]

That’s awesome, that’s what I am waiting on too I can’t wait to see how it looks. How long did it take from order to shipping. I think I am still about 3 months out.

#5663 1 year ago
Quoted from Walamab:

You won't be dissappointed! He does great work. I have used his cabinets for 2 scratch builds and both turned out really nice.

I pretty much expected that he’s an awesome guy to talk to and is passionate about the hobby. I would rather wait 4 months for a quality cabinet than get it in 3 weeks

#5664 1 year ago

Old school bodies were translucent.
I really like that look.
Clear bodies in my opinion are too clear and dont hide the wires.
Zitt used to have frosted ones, but no more....
I really like the frosted ones.
On my current TAF build, Ill just use the clear ones and sandblast or paint the insides with frosted clear.
Also, get rid of the stupid "stapled" flatwire sockets.
Just use the round wire sockets, molex them and integrate the diodes into the harness.
Molex the entire game! Including switch wire assemblies.
Pop-bumpers now are simple and easy to maintain.

Ordered the Zitt clear I like the idea of the frosted look. I don’t have access to a sand blaster so frosted paint will probably be my only option. What do you do just mask the outside and spray paint the inside with frosted paint. Which one do you use if that’s the way you do it

#5666 1 year ago

Yep, mask the outside and lightly spray the inside with clear frosted paint

Any particular brand work better than others. I always use rust oleum for standard paint but I also know the frosted stuff is a little more specialized

#5670 1 year ago
Quoted from Babysha:

Hello , i bought a playfield with this wood notch , do you know why some playfield have and others no ?
[quoted image]

I don’t believe there is any functional reason for it in the game. My guess is has something to do with either the screen printer when they applied the art work or when they made all the cut outs. There were different manufacturers contracted by Bally/Williams to make playfields which is why there are always slight variations so it could be that’s the way one did it vs the others. The reason is a total guess by the way but seems the most logical.

By the way that’s a nice playfield, restored by HSA one of the best playfield restorers around

#5682 1 year ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:Ordered 10/7
Totally fine waiting until snow was behind us anyways
Just mailed out my Addams Decals from Planetary and he got them last Friday
Said should ship out in a few days after install but if it’s completed on a Friday he waits until Monday to ship as it would sit on the dock all weekend and damage is possible
I really hope it’s nice and will of course take pictures

yes pleas sent pics I can’t wait to see what it looks like.

#5684 1 year ago

Are plastics sets no longer produced for TAF, I see planetary sells them but they are reduced price. Didn’t CPR make them when they made the playfields

#5687 1 year ago

pinballinreno

Just got my Zitt pop-bumper bodies yesterday, they are a hair smaller than the originals, thats not going to be a problem is it. Just dont want to get them on the game and the lights and leads back in the game and have to do it all over again

#5689 1 year ago
Quoted from dmacy:

They should be fine. I have been using Zitt's for a while now too.

Thanks Dave!!

#5691 1 year ago
Quoted from dmacy:

They should be fine. I have been using Zitt's for a while now too.

Do you go all LED? I still like the look of the incandescent bulbs and when I test fitted it with a 555 bulb it touches the top of the pop bumper cover. I love the way the frosted body looks (I painted it) but wondering if it will cause an issue down the road

#5693 1 year ago
Quoted from dmacy:

I use the Brite Mod pop LED’s as I prefer them over Comets but both fit easier as the top of the LED isn’t there on them.

I was afraid you were going to say that

#5696 1 year ago

Do they make shorter wedge bulbs that would fit?

#5699 1 year ago
Quoted from robgo777:

I think it all depends on the condition of your playfield. If I remember correctly I sent them a bunch of detailed photos and they were able to give me a quote before I sent them the playfield.
I believe they do EM playfields as well based on their photo gallery of past restorations.
Best Regards,
Rob

Condition is obviously going to be a huge determining factor. If you have a bunch of things to fix like wear spots at at the scoops, chewed up shooter lanes, and ball drops costs can go up fasts. Things like planking is what’s going to increase costs on the em side. If you love the game and it’s something yo I will always have it’s well worth it. If they are as good as the original HSA it’s well worth it

#5713 1 year ago

Not only better but 2 layers of fuses.
3 Fuses on the magnet board plus the fuses on the fliptronics board.
Still however the new style magnets are a MUST have.

Yup! That’s what I did got the new board and the Marco magnets

#5716 1 year ago

I never noticed TAF being that dark before but hear a lot of people saying it lately. Is it because more of the modern games are much brighter and I am only really used to 90s era WPC games

#5720 1 year ago

Spot lamps discreetly put, look better in my opinion.
You can put light where you need it exactly and no more.

Do you have any recommendations where on a TAF to put them As you probably saw in some of my other posts I finally warmed up to the idea of slight modifications and am now curious

#5723 1 year ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

If Playdium's transistors on his magnet board went bad, shouldn't he be able to just replace them and be good to go? Just in case the replacement board from barakandi won't be ready for a while.

Yes that would work fine but, I would hate knowing that there is an elevated risk of magnet burn just waiting. At least with the board or the in-line fuses you have a safety net

#5730 1 year ago
Quoted from Leechman:

I'm thinking you meant to quote someone else? I was just chiming in that it's great to finally be back in the club, ha........but I do have the magnet board as well! Gotta have it imo

Ha yes I did, the post above you. Oops I’ll correct now

#5746 1 year ago
Quoted from Santis:

Hi. New to to the club just got mine still solid cabinet but it will need playfield restoration or new playfield. Those new playfields to whoever installed new in their game. Are they good ? Or what do you recommend? Thank you.

The CPR playfields are the best ones as far as remakes go even they have a flaw or two that can be made perfect. They are out of stock but I know they are floating around out there. If you do get one I recommend sending to one of the playfield restorers out there to do slight correction as well as a nice clearcoat

#5749 1 year ago
Quoted from Santis:

Is any restorer in the northeast?

None that I know of unfortunately. Ron Kruzman kruzman on here is one of the best around he is based out of MI and does phenomenal work ( I have two of his playfields) he mainly does corrections and clearcoats on NOS and reproductions he stopped doing restos a few years ago. He packs them in a crate that he makes specifically for playfields which is essentially bomb proof. If you can find a nice repro shoot him a PM work out the details with him and have the person mail it to him to save on shipping.

#5753 1 year ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Kruzman produces the nicest playfields I have ever seen. Bought a couple off of him over the years. The crate is worth the price and of admission, alone.

He sure does, the clear on my TAF is beautiful

#5758 1 year ago

Have you guys noticed that sometimes on the switch matrix they put two of the white and striped wires together. For example on two of my switches I have a white and blue and a white and grey wire attached to the non banded lug of the switch. I traced them back to the column and row and think I figured out that the two grey wires are on a “not used” in the matrix. I guess my question is why bother having the wire at all. Is it because it comes off of one branch and it would not be possible to eliminate it?

#5760 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

... Uh, no. This would cause cross-row ghost switches being read by the software. Where/what switches do you see this one? (Both, White-Blue and White-Grey have active switches on them, so there is no completely 'unused'row or column on TZ..)

So for example the right outline switch which is on the white and blue row and red and green column had a white and grey wire soldered to it.

I also noticed the same thing with the Grave A.

The interesting on both of those columns the white and grey that corresponded to them are labeled as not used.

This game has been in pieces for a couple years and I am putting it back together so just trying to figure it out.

I thought it was kind of odd myself. The other thing I can think of I wonder if the blue stripes on that wire faded a bit.

#5762 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

First, apologies about the Not Used comment - I completely forgot that we were talking TAF, and NOT TZ. D'oh.
It's possible that the blue they used faded, or someone loaded the wrong color in, or those are jumper wires. LTG may have some input on that. Personally, I'd follow the white/gry wire and see where it went next. That would be a clue.

Quoted from Coyote:

First, apologies about the Not Used comment - I completely forgot that we were talking TAF, and NOT TZ. D'oh.
It's possible that the blue they used faded, or someone loaded the wrong color in, or those are jumper wires. LTG may have some input on that. Personally, I'd follow the white/gry wire and see where it went next. That would be a clue.

Ha no worries it was just really strange to me. By the time I noticed it was 2 AM and I was fading fast

#5763 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Followed the wire it’s on the blue and white string either they used a very light banded wire or it faded over the years. Picture for reference you can see how it can be mistaken for grey

IMG_1617 (resized).jpegIMG_1617 (resized).jpeg
#5765 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

You should use WHT-BLU not BLU-WHT. They are different. WHT-BLU is a white wire with a blue tracer. BLU-WHT is a blue wire with a white tracer.
That looks gray to me. Without any evidence, I bet the factory ran out of WHT-BLU and used WHT-GRY to get the machine built. 20,000 machines built in one calendar year (365 days) is ~54 per day (even working through the weekends). That's a lot to build and a lot of wire needed. Again, just a guess without evidence.

That’s crazy because it’s so confusing since white-grey is used elsewhere, especially for anybody trying to repair a game. Not sure how often that would have came up in the operator world for Bally to think about it. Obviously they didn’t have restoration in mind for collectors when they did that

#5767 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

These machines were built to make money. Not to last. They were expected to last maybe one to two years, possibly up to five. Definitely not 30 years and definitely not to be disassembled and reassembled (restoration).
The premise was probably "a machine delivered and making money is better than no machine not making any money". Once the machine was wired and operating correctly, the odds of a failure in the wiring was next to none. Machine delivered and making money.
Again, I have no evidence for any of this speculation. Just trying to think of reasons WHY something is the way it is,.

Yeah pretty much much in line with what I was thinking too

#5768 12 months ago

Anybody have any opinions on the jet bumper skirts. I am pretty sure I am definitely ruling out the solid green, but can’t decide which looks the best out of the others.

IMG_1626 (resized).jpegIMG_1626 (resized).jpeg

#5770 12 months ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

Transparent looks great but how will the material home up ?

Not a clue it’s supposed to be a hard material the transparent version. It’s going to be in joke environment if that helps

#5772 12 months ago
Quoted from Ant-H:

I like the look of the transparent green. What colour caps are you thinking?

Was thinking standard colors for TAF

#5784 12 months ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:Im thinking of doing all black or red on mine.
Factory color caps, 11 LED inserts.
Im swaying heavily to black as Im doing black armor and wireforms.
The bodies look perfect.

Thanks for the advice on the bodies can’t wait to see them lit up

#5789 12 months ago

It has begun. Holy shit drilling out the clear to countersink the jet bumper screws was a bitch. Definitely ghosted the clear in a few spots. Thankfully a couple of the spots were able to be glued back down and the rest are hidden

IMG_1629 (resized).jpegIMG_1629 (resized).jpegIMG_1631 (resized).jpegIMG_1631 (resized).jpeg
#5791 12 months ago
Quoted from Santis:

Hi. Who did the playfield you’re using? Ty

It’s was a NOS Bally playfield I picked up about 5 years ago. Ron Kruzman did the clear coat on it

#5793 11 months ago

Took a lot of persistence to get that damn playfield

#5802 11 months ago
Quoted from jkashani:

Any recommendations on how to protect the mansion inserts? Mylar?

Outside of a touch up and clearcoat from a restorer not a whole lot you can do. A low tac Mylar if you can find it but not sure how great that will look

1 week later
#5809 11 months ago

Is the backboard on the playfield supposed to be perfectly flush with the edge of the playfield. I was doing a playfield swap and I got new rails and a new backboard. The backboard sits in a little from the edge maybe like a 16th of an inch m and there is a gap between the wood and the bracket I thought I remember it sitting totally flush. Problem is I do t have my old backboard I sent it out to use as a template.

#5811 11 months ago

I just pulled mine off.
It was slightly inside the rear edge of the playfield, maybe a 32nd if an inch. But not flush.
1/16" is likely workable but seems too much.
It "IS" however, flush with the sides.

Thanks I just measured mine it’s a 32nd too. Does the bracket just not sit flush on the backboard. Of course I didn’t take pictures of it when I took the game apart stupid me

#5812 11 months ago

I just pulled mine off.
It was slightly inside the rear edge of the playfield, maybe a 32nd if an inch. But not flush.
1/16" is likely workable but seems too much.
It "IS" however, flush with the sides.

Here is a picture

IMG_1637 (resized).jpegIMG_1637 (resized).jpeg
#5816 11 months ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

I did my playfield transfer about a year ago. I didn't pay any attention to its exact location vs. the end of the playfield - just attached where it went. I don't have a photo from that angle.
I think it is not critical. I am guessing that the main reason for that back board is to reduce the likelihood of the playfield sagging in the middle. That is why I always put that and the side rails back in prior to putting anything heavy on the new playfield and prior to putting it on the rotisserie.
If you were to move it back, then you would have a gap with the side rails. I doubt that matters either.
[quoted image]

Thanks, I moved everything back and its lines up perfectly. Was a pain in the ass to redo but was a learning experience I guess. That was my thinking too, get the rails and backboard on first so I can feel ok with leaving it on the rotisserie. I just did it ass backwards I put the sides on first then the backboard.

#5818 11 months ago
Quoted from Santis:

Hi. If someone has a new playfield for sale please hit me up. Thank you

What are you looking for? I think micro’s are still available. CPR is sold out but Pop up here and there in the market. I know starship fantasy carried cpr at one time he may have inventory laying around

#5825 11 months ago
Quoted from branlon8:

I‘m toying with the idea of getting side wall decals for my TAF, but I have two concerns -
1.) it might look tacky - I started going through the gallery of pictures in this thread and it seems like hardly any of the photos show sidewall decals - coincidence or not?
2.) is scratching or tearing an issue when raising the playfield - is there a recommended minimum gap size under which decals are not to be recommended? I already scratched my side board once (doing something stupid if I recall correctly), but repainting with black is pretty easy.

1) I agree there, I am not a huge fan of tricking the game out with mods but to each their own. If you like it go for it, if you are on the fence leave it

2) they make covers that you can put on the sides so when you lift the playfield up it doesn’t scratch the hell out of the sides

#5828 11 months ago
Quoted from mjmpin:

Question regarding mylar, appreciate any feedback/comments. I purchased a very nice AF about 2 yrs ago. It's been in my collection and has been excellent the entire time. But, I purchased it early in my knowledge/experience growth, so I did not even notice at the time that with an extremely nice playfield, it has mylar protector cutouts over every insert. Never bothered me, never even noticed, but now I am very curious as to how that affects the value/peoples perspective of the quality of the playfield etc.
I've confirmed they are not decals, they are protectors, so I can only assume it was to keep the inserts/letters preserved?? Again curious as to why people do this, all inserts are fine, level, not protruding or sinking, artwork is terrific, even the house inserts barely have any cracking. but these overlays confuse me, maybe they are the reason its so nice?
thanks for the feedback

Chances are the previous owner was trying to prevent wear would be my guess. Not sure if you have any history like was it routed or was it in their home collection and they were just trying to be extra cautious. May have also been before the days that clear coating became popular or they didn’t want to take the whole playfield out. If it doesn’t bother you I would say leave it alone. I know people that know what they are doing take Mylar off with caned air and solvent to remove the residual glue but i sure as hell don’t trust myself to take those chances and risk pulling paint or the insert off. It shouldn’t really devalue since the game is already in good condition and it is removable by the right person. If anything like you said it probably saved the playfield from wear overtime. I have been told by quite a few people even in a home setting you will eventually get some kind of wear or ball trails no matter how well you maintain and a very nice clear coat although costly will protect for a very long time.

3 months later
#6046 8 months ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

If you're going to go through all the trouble to replace the front decal, you might as well re-decal the whole cabinet, so it all matches. The Phoenix Arcade decals are really nice, and will make your cabinet look awesome.

Second that PA decals are awesome

#6059 7 months ago
Quoted from JvdS:

So it's 400 usd @ PA....cointaker has a beautifull set for 240 usd, is 160 usd more a 160 usd better quality?

I can’t say anything about coin taker but I can tell you the PA decals are a dead match for the original. They even have the same texture as well. They are 350 for standard and 400 for gold on the PA website

#6062 7 months ago

Wow he raised his price. I just bought a replacement set two weeks ago when UPS destroyed them when I shipped them to the cabinet guy and paid 350

#6087 7 months ago
Quoted from Norcalpin:

Here’s the chrome version. I installed it more so to eliminate any balls falling off the wire form, but now I feel it’s almost a must from a cosmetic standpoint. I had to bend the lower attachment points a bit, but nothing major.
[quoted image]

Coming from a guy who is strictly a purist when it comes to his games and doesn’t believe in most mods I have to say it looks pretty freaking cool

#6092 7 months ago
Quoted from Santis:

Hi. If someone has pics from under the playfield please ? I’m doing a playfield swap and I forgot to take pics. Thank you.

I have a shit load of pics that I took when I attempted to do mine if you run into something you really need let me know there are over 100+ pics I wouldn’t even know how to get them to you

#6125 7 months ago
Quoted from rsos1:

I am in the market to buy a cabinet decal set. I have always heard Phoenix Arcade is the best however isn't it missing the green on the rose stem on the front coin door decal? Every picture I have seen doesn't have the green on the rose.
Ps.. if you have a decal set you want to sell pm me.

There shouldn’t be any green on the rose stem in the front cabinet decal it’s always been a pale yellow color. Usually fades to a light faint washed out blue. Buy the PA ones the best hands down

#6127 7 months ago
Quoted from WolfgangBC:

Mine has some green and I think it has original decals.[quoted image]

Hmm cant tell if that was color fading or there was a hint of green behind the yellow on the originals.

#6129 7 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Screen-printed. That green would be on top of the yellow; dithered.

Well then I stand corrected, from the pics on his site it looks like he doesn’t include it on his decals. I don’t have my decals here anymore to check in person so I can’t tell if it’s his pics or if it truly isn’t there

#6131 7 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Apologies, fr the record I was talking about the OEM cabinet art - while I've seen some repro decal sites, I haven't recently so I am not sure what's out there.
I also don't know Pheonix Arcade - the last decal reproduction company I heard of that was worth a crap was based over in UK somewhere.

Phoenix arcade has been known as one of the best cabinet decal companies around he’s been around for a while. He screen prints everything and is usually dead on color wise his also has the texture. He makes awesome TZ decals best ones I ever saw and is also one of the ones the more selective restorers use. I know everything else on his TAF is dead on so I am surprised the green would be missing. I also haven’t seen a nice unfaded factory TAF in a very long time so I could be misremembering

No need to apologize

#6143 7 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

Here is a much better look at that.
[quoted image]

I must be color blind because I can’t tell if the amber should be on the top or the bottom

#6149 7 months ago
Quoted from Norcalpin:

Mike, beautiful restoration. But to me...the more I see it, the more I realize stainless steel is not the trim for this game.

Think it just depends on who the end user is. Some are straight purists and just want it to look like it did in 1992.

#6152 7 months ago
Quoted from Norcalpin:

That's true. Probably the same argument behind not upgrading games like these to LED's. Not rainbow puke, but a tasteful LED upgrade. I just wonder how many manufactures back in the day would have used stainless steel and incandescent if they had what we have available now. Look at Stern...if they Powdercoat you're paying LE prices lol.

I am in the keeping it original camp but a guy I trust twisted my arm into tasteful LED upgrades on my TAF resto I can’t wait to see how it looks. I am still in the fence with putting leds behind the backglass tough

#6156 7 months ago
Quoted from Mikespinball:

Here are some pictures of what my personal TAF looks like when I finished it. I do LEDs and had the side rails done in powder coated black.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I do like the way the blackout looks I have to say

#6166 7 months ago

Is there really a difference between the boards or is it basically like coke and Pepsi

#6171 7 months ago
Quoted from metahugh:

I can’t agree more . I am a purist at heart but LEDs are great as long as Herg’s board is in there.
I don’t do the rainbow colors on my games.

Sorry I meant is there a difference between the LED OCD boards and Hergs not if they were needed. Boards are a must from what I have been told and read throughout the site.

#6173 7 months ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

They're the same thing. They're just sold through Comet now.

Ahh got it.

#6177 7 months ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Operation Swiss cheese - so it begins.
First of all per our decal discussion, the Phoenix Arcades decal is nice enough. The dot/shading can be clearly seen that the dots are in fact more precise / smaller but are green.
At some point the front of the cabinet broke loose and they dropped 3 screw into each side, 2 brackets (not shown) screwed into the bottom of the cabinet and backside of the front. All removed. I'm 99% certain they in fact reglued the front piece and instead of using clamps used the hardware listed. Pictures taken to highlight the holes.
Lock bar bolts and damage. Bolts removed. Dowels and glue. The dowels are all ever so slightly larger however with the wood being so soft, I literally cut them to length, added thin layer of glue for good measure and they easily compressed and pounded right in. (Better than the bondo option)
Once it's dried I'll remove the lock bar mech and coin door, front legs and use my heat gun to remove the decal and use product to fill in the lock bar indentation, screw holes and rebuild front corner damage and pretty up inside holes.
Sand, naptha wipe, aint with black semi gloss enamel and then cringe as I try to apply the decal to line up the start button. Words of wisdom welcome.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That settles that then. The rest of the detail/accuracy of the pa decals outweigh the lighter green shading in the stem

#6195 7 months ago

For those that replaced their topper did you go with Smokey or clear. Whose did you use

#6197 7 months ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Smokey on my own and for the others.

Whose did you buy. Starship only has the clear one now

#6202 7 months ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Alls ya gots to do is ask.
Got mine from Planetary. I prefer the smokey and it's cheaper.
https://www.planetarypinball.com/pinball-03-8643
Also, you may want to trim the new decals before you put them on. They're too large and run into the curved part of the cloud. Look at your existing and you'll see what I mean.

Thanks, didn’t want to bug you.

#6233 7 months ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

HEY! Don't shoot the messenger! Ungrateful bastards! lol
I've got the front of my cabinet repaired (no more swiss cheese holes) and painted ready for the decal installation. I'm a one man show and going to have to apply it with the cabinet sitting in normal position. I've done a ton of decal installs on motorcyles, ATV's, and aracades using both dry and wet methods. Considering I can't set this cabinet on it's ass and not only the start button but the logo on the bottom alignment is critical, I'm wondering if wet method would be best here? Thoughts?

I hear you. It beats not having one. I drilled out the rivets on mine to clean 30 years dried up grease out of it. Just hope I put it back correctly lol

#6249 6 months ago
Quoted from Norcalpin:

I’ve been having a fair amount of balls getting stuck after thing drops then in the tunnel. I’ll have to give my game a good shake for the ball to go all the way through. Any adjustment I can make to the subway? If so, any particular spot?

That’s odd never seen that happen, maybe a washer for a shim?

#6251 6 months ago
Quoted from Norcalpin:

Sorry, maybe I explained it wrong. Thing picks up the ball and releases it. It is at that point that nothing will happen. The ball must just be sitting there or caught on something because it will take a good shake to continue its path. Maybe raise the pitch some?

Ahhhh I thought you meant it gets stuck inside the subway now I got it. When you shake the game do you hear it hit inside things box. I wonder if the hang up in on his hand or if it’s inside the metal box

#6254 6 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Ball magnetized and not rolling through ?
Dimple worn into bottom of big metal box trapping the ball ?
Something broken off and laying in there trapping the ball ?
Dirty inside the box trapping the ball ?
Elfs sleeping in there and hate being disturbed ?

I vote elves, def elves

#6273 6 months ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Topper?:[quoted image]

Nooooo!! You definitely don’t replace a functional topper with this takes away from the whole theme

1 week later
#6284 6 months ago

Anybody know who has the best decals for the cloud topper. A lot of the decals out there from the pictures look a little off, the green seems to be lighter than the original but could also be how the pictures present themselves on the websites. My original isn’t really bad or broken assuming I could try to flame polish the plastic and fix one of the peeling decals with transfer tape maybe.

2 weeks later
#6292 5 months ago

Figure I drop this here now that she’s just about done. Cabinet is all finished and the playfield is ready to be tested before dropping it back in. Can’t wait to get his back it came out awesome

72030843380__097AF30C-5622-402E-89A6-B39FA26A2AAE (resized).jpeg72030843380__097AF30C-5622-402E-89A6-B39FA26A2AAE (resized).jpeg

#6299 5 months ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

Anybody know who has the best decals for the cloud topper. A lot of the decals out there from the pictures look a little off, the green seems to be lighter than the original but could also be how the pictures present themselves on the websites. My original isn’t really bad or broken assuming I could try to flame polish the plastic and fix one of the peeling decals with transfer tape maybe.

Bumping this question to try again.

#6305 5 months ago

Are the orange inserts on the playfield considered dark orange or amber

#6314 5 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

How long was the wait on the cab?

I just ordered from him fairly recently. I ordered in Feb and got it mid October. He said lead times are getting better he slowed down a little bit but not sure by how much. It’s so worth it though.

#6319 5 months ago
Quoted from rsos1:

What decals did you use?

Those look like the new classic arcade ones?

1 month later
#6390 4 months ago
Quoted from Pbgixxer:

Working on a friends Addams this morning and noticed this. Looks like the factory put the right side decal on the left side of the machine.
[quoted image]

Looks right to me. BTW the artwork on the early 90s games like TAF was direct screened onto the cabinet. Decals started to come around with the later games like TOM, MM, MB etc

#6392 4 months ago
Quoted from Pbgixxer:

You are incorrect and I’ve owned and restored several of these.This is what is suppose to look like. You are also incorrect with the decal statement [quoted image]

You’re right about the placement. If I had to guess this isn’t original no way that would have passed inspection and was probably an amateur restoration job.

And you are incorrect about the decal thing. Ask anybody that has restored games professionally Addams family was not a decal early 90s games were direct screened onto the cabinet. If I remember correctly at one point B/W stopped painting the black portion and used a heat shrunk vinyl wrap and then direct screened onto that which is why you may be mistaking for a decal. That’s why you don’t see games with wrinkled legs until the later games because those were decals. You never seen a wrinkled TAF have you

#6394 4 months ago
Quoted from Pbgixxer:

Addams family is a black vinyl decal that has the art screened on it. This machine does not look like it’s ever been touched and I believe this to be a factory error. I have seen several games through the years with the bottom decaled and the head screened. The only one that I thought was kinda strange was scared stiff. That one is most definitely screened.

Haha yeah we are pretty much talking about the same thing. I was pretty sure that the black applied first and then the decal screened but no use arguing over split hairs.

If it was like that from the factory somebody was drinking on the job on inspection day.

#6396 4 months ago

Yeah I’ve seen some pretty weird things like other games pieces used to put cabinets together but nothing like that. I know that at some point they mixed the gold and regular Addams together. I guess they really didn’t care much back then. I wasn’t trying to start a debate or anything. Just thought it was weird. Merry Christmas</blockquote

Haha Merry Christmas to you

#6412 3 months ago

I think we are all talking about the same thing I got into this same debate the other night in the thread. They may not be decals like we are used to today where the black and artwork are all in one but there is definitely something laid down on the bare wood and then the screen printing is applied over that which seems to me is some kind of vinyl layer.

3 weeks later
#6415 3 months ago

Anybody have an original good condition topper they want to sell. NOS would be amazing but I know that’s like finding gold in the street

#6418 3 months ago

Starship fantasy "smoked" topper is as good as you can get:
https://starship-fantasy.com/ramps/Addams-Family-Smoke-Topper
My NOS smoked topper is going on my game that Im restoring.
Offers of $1000 have been rejected.

I have the original in pretty good shape structurally and with cleaning and flame polishing it would be perfect. The decals are the problem. The new ones suck everywhere no matter who makes them. I actually have two originals that if I could remove the decals trim them and clean the up might work but not sure if anybody has ever had success using transfer tape to reapply them.

#6419 3 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

Is there an easy way to tell oem vs repro, I'm curious if mine is real.

The decals are a giveaway. The roof on the remakes are either too dark or too lime. This is a pic of mine if that helps

IMG_2825 (resized).jpegIMG_2825 (resized).jpeg
#6422 3 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

Taken with a flash in a dark room.

The coloring seems to look right. Not sure what’s up with that yellow streak on the right side though

#6424 3 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

I see that. Maybe it's mustard. Lol
Will check it out in the light and see what I see. Happy mines og, goes well with the all og gold. (well, minus the rubbers and bulbs. Lol)
I saw it looks like you went real rubber rubbers on yours, like it was brand new out of the box.

Yeah I went close to original as possible, I personally rarely like any mods at all. Bryan Kelly twisted my arm into the LEDs and quite honestly I am glad he did. I didn’t like the sunlight white for the GI so I changed that to warm white but everywhere else I think it looks great including behind the backglass. I even did a compare and contrast in the backbox 1/2 sunlight 1/2 warm and it was no contest

#6426 3 months ago

Starship fantasy "smoked" topper is as good as you can get:
https://starship-fantasy.com/ramps/Addams-Family-Smoke-Topper
My NOS smoked topper is going on my game that Im restoring.
Offers of $1000 have been rejected.

$1000. That’s as bad as the dude trying to sell the Kruzman IJ for 5k

#6430 3 months ago

You can remove stickers with light heat and reapply with transfer tape:
https://www.amazon.com/468MP-Adhesive-Transfer-width-length/dp/B007Y7D1W6/ref=asc_df_B007Y7D1W6/
I do it all the time with very good results.
Remove the old adhesive with naptha or acetone or lacqer thinner.

Hairdryer work?

#6432 3 months ago
Quoted from fast_in_muskoka:

I've got many NOS TAF parts and assemblies, never seen the cloud topper NOS though . . .

Any extra plastic sets you would part with

#6437 3 months ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Use compressed air in a can. Turn it upside down and spray one side of the decal. It will pop off. Keep spraying will you gently pull. Remove the glue with whatever you choose. I use Sprayway orange power.

Ah didn’t know that trick worked on all adhesives

#6441 3 months ago
Quoted from pjflyer:

I thought I just spotted one on f/b market for $200. I didn't take a detailed look.

Actually it might be now I am not sure. Has anybody noticed a slight variation in decal colors on factory originals just like with playfield colors?

Pics for reference

IMG_2828 (resized).pngIMG_2828 (resized).png
#6443 3 months ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Get a grip. Look at that thing. Ii’s nice! Variation occurs, even with nos diff. Nice is nice.

Yeah I know but I am set in my ways. I want OEM it’s just the way I am about stuff like this. Call it OCD call it what you want

#6445 3 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

I'll send you my oem for a grand buddy. I'd be just fine with the one in that picture.

Ha I know I am being a crazy person. Either way I bought it so that’s what’s goin on the game

2 weeks later
#6469 77 days ago

Do any of you use the mantis chair hole protector? I recently installed one and it seems to be impacting the ability to eject the ball from the electric chair. Assuming it’s the heads from hex screws causing the issue. Anybody else experience similar issues. I was thinking about using a screw that would go flush with the screw holes in the bracket but worried about blowing through the top of the playfield

#6475 76 days ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I just had a thought. The scoop may be mounted at just enough of an angle that the ball is hitting the edge of the protector when exiting.
Try this. Remove the chair, remove the balls and turn the game on. Now take a slo-mo video of one ball being dropped into the scoop. It will pop back out. When played back, you should be able to see where the ball goes. Adjust the scoop accordingly.
Other than that, it makes no sense. I've installed a couple dozen of these on TAF'a I've restored and never had an issue.

You are the best sir

2 weeks later
#6483 59 days ago
Quoted from mrclean:

Can someone please provide the scoop switch part number where the electric chair is. Thanks in advance !

The switch itself?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 159.00
30,000 (OBO)
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mmr61184.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-the-addams-family-club-tafmembers-fans-welcome?tu=mmr61184 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.