IMG_6365 (resized).JPG
IMG_7632 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5752 (resized).jpeg
wms_wpc_backbox_assembly.jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 5.00.20 PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5184 Use bayonet lamp socket for chair bulbs. Posted by DumbAss (1 year ago)

Post #5197 Pictures of using bayonet holders for chair bulbs. Posted by DumbAss (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider glpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3892 3 years ago

Hi all, I picked up a TAF a couple weeks ago and I have a question regarding the playfield protector. I ordered one and it came in but as I was examining the playfield I noticed some transparent material (Mylar?) on the playfield in a couple wear spots. Is this an add on to the original, will putting a playfield protector on over this be ok? I am including a couple pictures to show what I mean. It's fairly subtle/low profile so maybe it would be ok but I have never put on a protector before so I just don't know. Thoughts?

20200827_121556[1] (resized).jpg20200827_121556[1] (resized).jpg20200827_121623[1] (resized).jpg20200827_121623[1] (resized).jpg
2 months later
#3970 3 years ago

Hi All, I posted a little while ago about removing mylar for a playfield protector install and thanks for the replies. I'm in a position now where I can start but I have wear on the mansion inserts that will definitely be visible underneath the playfield protector. What would you do in this situation? Pics included.

20201028_170920[1] (resized).jpg20201028_170920[1] (resized).jpg20201028_170928[1] (resized).jpg20201028_170928[1] (resized).jpg20201028_170948[1] (resized).jpg20201028_170948[1] (resized).jpg
#3975 3 years ago

Fixed the flipper wear! Picked these up from Ministry of Pinball.

20201031_180659[1] (resized).jpg20201031_180659[1] (resized).jpg
1 month later
#4092 3 years ago

Welp i stripped off the mansion area, polished the inserts, and applied the mansion overlay. Doing a little touchup now then will install the protector. I think it looks pretty decent and with the protector on you won't notice the insert wear.

20201222_125916 (resized).jpg20201222_125916 (resized).jpg
#4094 3 years ago

With playfield protector installed.

20201223_153543 (resized).jpg20201223_153543 (resized).jpg
#4097 3 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

Looks nice, how is it in person?

Makes a big difference in the balls tracking true without any cupping or wear misdirecting the ball. Speed seems about the same really, maybe slightly slower, hard to say. The sound is a little odd, quieter since its on the protector and not the wood. Overall, it's great for older machines I would say. Not sure it would be needed for a new machine really. I may pick one up for my old KISS machine since I have so much insert cupping on that one.

Also, its significantly easier to get it up the bear ramp from the left flipper. Before it took a perfect flip. I may need to see if I can tighten the rule set.

#4123 3 years ago
Quoted from MrCleanHead:

Do you have any pics of the process? I sold one to a friend and he was thinking about doing this. The rest of the playfield is in good shape otherwise I would have replaced the whole thing.
Thanks

Here you go: one pic of some of the mansion wear, mansion stripped and then with sticker on pre-touchup and after touchup with playfield protector on.

mansion wear (resized).jpgmansion wear (resized).jpg20201222_105617 (resized).jpg20201222_105617 (resized).jpg20201222_105612 (resized).jpg20201222_105612 (resized).jpg20201222_125916 (resized).jpg20201222_125916 (resized).jpg20201223_153543 (resized).jpg20201223_153543 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#4140 3 years ago
Quoted from Dthwsh:

How did you cut the old decal? razor blade?

Careful scraping with an exacto knife, pic with the blade included. Razor blade just did not work.

20210115_195041 (resized).jpg20210115_195041 (resized).jpg
#4142 3 years ago

Put in a new back glass. What do you think?

20210115_194521 (resized).jpg20210115_194521 (resized).jpg
#4144 3 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I kinda like it.
Don't like the LED's though.
Sorry.

LEDs look way worse in the picture than in person. Its nowhere close to that much glare. Honestly the GI under the ramp is worse.

#4149 3 years ago

Funny story - so I rebuilt the flippers including replacing 3 of the 4 coils since they were very old and at least one had a stuck coil sleeve. First time doing this and soldering on a pinball game so that was interesting. But it worked in the end! Flippers are now amazing and I have hope I can actually hit some scores I see people getting on the game online. Before the flippers were so weak you had to use momentum to hit the bear ramp. But, as I was testing the flippers the ball would barely get out of the shooter lane at a full plunge. What the heck!!! Flippers have nothing to do with ball plunge! I'm looking at it, even removed the gate to eliminate that as being the problem. Checked the plunger, wondering if somehow its misaligned and hitting something as it goes in. Finally, go to set up a video and realize I can see metal on the plunger tip! Turns out at the exact same time I rebuilt the flippers, the tip of the rubber plunger cover broke off during my testing. Replaced it with an old one I had laying around and problem solved! Don't you love unrelated problems that come up during a fix?

3 months later
#4275 2 years ago

Errors don't just clear up and stay cleared up. Sounds like you need a new tech for sure.

1 month later
#4327 2 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Does anyone know if the double flipper snap at end of ball is triggered by the sound card and not the MPU ?
This thread seems to indicate that : https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-end-of-ball-flipper-snap-not-activating
I currently have a TiltAudio card in mine (sounds great), but haven't seen the flipper snap in 20-30 games or so.

I have a pinsound card and the flippers snap but the audio doesn't synch anymore.

#4329 2 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

What are Addams going for now?

I've seen usually 9k to 10k from dealers. Private sales maybe slightly lower. 7k to 8k.

2 months later
#4411 2 years ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

Okay folks
I bought a pin shakers (16 triggers)
Any preferences on the settings ?
Not sure how it really works as itā€™s just dip switches
Honestly thought it had multiple clips to attach your desired effect
Lmk

I put in a pinshaker and just set it up for the power. That was more than enough shaking for me.

2 weeks later
#4414 2 years ago

Wow that playfield looks perfect. Had to fix my mansion. Nice. I modded mine the thing box and library plastics look terrible stock.

1 month later
#4483 2 years ago

Crushed my high score tonight. Bil

20211102_201044 (resized).jpg20211102_201044 (resized).jpg
#4484 2 years ago
1 week later
#4512 2 years ago
Quoted from cshelden:

New to the club, just acquired TAF with a package deal on a No Fear and NGG, all for the price of a NGG for the most part.
The game is in really nice shape some fading on the cabinet. None of the opto's seem to work (no errors given other than to indicate they have a problem). I'll work thru the issues.
Question, I searched and did not find anything. This may be sacrilege, but has anyone made, on their own a alternate translite maybe using the 1964 TAF? Black and White? Thought it may be fun just for something different. Hersey? BW or Color maybe?
[quoted image]

20211102_201044 (resized).jpg20211102_201044 (resized).jpg
#4514 2 years ago
Quoted from cshelden:

Nice take on the original. Where did yiu have it printed? Did yiu scan it then do adjustments in PS?

Got it from Classic Playfields.

2 weeks later
#4566 2 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

Thank you!
I have decided at this point to keep my game - it would be silly to sell it.

I love mine. Nostalgia.

3 weeks later
#4600 2 years ago

If its the correct coil try putting in a new coil sleeve.

1 month later
#4729 2 years ago
Quoted from LongJohns:

Hello all,
I have a couple questions:
1) is anyone having issues with the top right flipper staying put? I am guessing it is getting hit by a ball from the backside which seems to turn it clockwise. One can only tighten is so much, so any suggestions?
2) anyone powder coat their armor? I am thinking purple to match the cabinet text - anyone have pictures?
Thanks

Either tighten the hell out of it or buy a rebuild kit and rebuild it. Mech might just be played out by now.

#4732 2 years ago
Quoted from LongJohns:

The problem is, it is a fairly new rebuild kit on it.
Thinking if I tighten it too much more I will snap the bolt (or strip the nut).

If its new it shouldn't need to be super tight. Maybe something with the shaft then. I'm no expert though. There are se pinball Repair groups and TAF group on Facebook. Could try posting there.

#4735 2 years ago
Quoted from bsobie:

Wanting to replace the speakers in Addams Family... Any suggestions would Greatly help! I was looking at Flipper Fidelity, Pinball Pro, or Pinsound. Before me, someone replaced the speakers but none of them match... Thank You!

I have pinsound but not thrilled. If pinwoofer makes em for TAF I'd look at them.

#4737 2 years ago
Quoted from bsobie:

glpinball ... What donā€™t you like about the PinSound? Do you have their board and speakers?

Yep. High end is muffled. And it desynchs the flipper snaps. To be fair the alternate sound files are cool.

#4740 2 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

If anyone is looking to sell or trade an Addams family, please give me a PM

What's your trade?

#4745 2 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Do I have a crazy Addams pf? In doing my swap, I find that I have a post by the saucer, which is outlined in the artwork, that does not exist on new pf from either CPR or Mirco. But they make their pf work original silk screens, so I'm confused by not just the lack of post hole, but the difference in paint where the post goes.
Does anyone else have this post on their original Addams pf?[quoted image][quoted image]

No post.

16432064837202288750507435241965 (resized).jpg16432064837202288750507435241965 (resized).jpg
#4747 2 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Sweet, thanks for the confirmation. I don't really want to drill into the new pf if not necessary.
What's that saucer protector, is it 3d printed?

Cliffy protector.

1 month later
#4811 2 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Maybe I'm wrong. I could have sworn that clear was original. Hard to tell on the flyer.

Well, mine is smoke. Dunno if its original or not but I suspect it ia.

#4818 2 years ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

Have a routed Addams Family that I just started to maintain and discovered light battery acid damage at the bottoms of two batteries. Visually from the front of the board, the damage seems to have been contained to the battery holder terminals themselves. Cleaned the visible acid damage from the battery holder with alcohol and lightly with a picking tool and installed new batteries that I know are good, but the machine reverts to factory settings upon reboot even after new settings are punched in. Otherwise, everything works perfectly in the machine, so I'm puzzled. Is it worth replacing the battery holder? Any other ideas?
Below is a photo of the board AFTER I cleaned off the acid and installed new batteries.
[quoted image]

Dude. Serious. No Duracell. Anything but. Also, lithium.

2 weeks later
#4854 2 years ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

From memory, I feel sure it's the ramp. I say that because the train shot would end the sequence, whereas the ramp shoot delivers to the small left flipper, allowing you to continue the combo, which then ends if you hit the graveyard shot at the right scoop. I think I recall getting that sequence a few times and getting the combo award. But I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Correct.

1 month later
#4971 1 year ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

I have finished up a TAF playfield transfer. Am having problems with The Thing auto flipper shooting consistently. Here is what I have checked so far:
* Under Utilities, I selected 'New Location'.
* Checked wires to the coil.
* Flipper test - power and hold both work consistently.
* Switches along the swamp work.
* Thing flipper opto had been replaced. Checked and it seems to be working fine. On when not interrupted. Turns off as the ball passes.
* Checked flipper mech. No binding nor any irregularities that I can tell. Flipper held tightly. A little up/down movement. No sticking or resistance to movement.
* EOS works (not that it should matter here).
I go through 'training' of The Thing with the glass off during game play. Activate Thing switch and toss up the ramp. Initially, The Thing does not even fire. I then fire the flipper manually. Eventually, Thing flipper tries, learns and gets pretty good. Then, out of no where, it will flip early, late, or miss and hit the swamp switches. Some of the misses are no where close.
Prior to playfield transfer, it seemed to never miss.

Hmm well mine misses a fair amount. Like 50% of the time.

2 months later
#5145 1 year ago

The Thing hand was having trouble picking up the ball and quick multiball hasn't been working right for a while. I searched this thread and subsequently checked the optos on the hand mechanism and cleaned them. I have never cleaned them before and I have had the machine a couple years so who knows if they were ever cleaned. And now, everything works! Just thought I would let folks know in case they see something similar.

2 months later
#5245 1 year ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

I just installed a Pinsound card in my TAF and new speakers.
I downloaded all the sound files from Pinsound and my initial feeling is that they are terrible.
I like the Pinsound for LOTR and Tommy, so this is especially disappointing.
Are there any other sound files someplace else that are better?
If not, I guess my next step is to invest tons of hours into going through the movies and making new files - after I figure out how to do it.

Yeah I thought the same. Callouts feel muted to me. I haven't touched pinsound since as a result.

#5257 1 year ago

My bear target snapped. Can you replace just the plastic piece?

20221109_185653 (resized).jpg20221109_185653 (resized).jpg
#5264 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

He'll need the decal too. They don't come with them.
LTG : )

Yep guess I'll order a new set. Marco has just the target and the metal piece holding it looks like I could get that for 3 bucks and hopefully it just screws into place.

#5270 1 year ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Is there anything wrong with original sound?
May be that is why there are no " good" files as mentioned . Why fix what ain't broke ?

I have pinsound and it's way better than the original sound for this game. But, the files could use some work.

#5273 1 year ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

The original sounds would be good if they were not so compressed and distorted. Williams had to do that with the (affordable) tech in the day due to the size of the EPROMs and the relatively crappy sound board they had in WPC89. Even the later DCS sound was not great. [An aside: The DE/Sega sound was superior and in stereo but likely far more expensive to make. Stern went back to a mono and lower quality sound when they took over Sega.]
If upgrading to better speakers, especially tweeters in WPC89, the sound, distortion and hash, from the original board is even more jarring. Therefore, the only reasonable speaker upgrade to make with the original WPC89 soundboard is the woofer / cabinet speaker - not the backbox speakers.
Just compare the sound and music in the movie vs. the pin and you get an idea of what is missing.

My initial impression is that the original sounds from the pin available for download sound like they were recorded with a microphone. I could be wrong - it could just be that the original sounds are terrible.
The Pinsound files available are held back by the quality of the original sounds used in those files. Even with some soundtrack music included, the effect is poor.
In contrast, I just did a Pinsound board in my LOTR and the work that the people did on the sound files are astounding. I also did Tommy and that has the added benefit of the songs coming from The Who vs. the Broadway play.

Hmm maybe I should get pinsound for lotr. I was kinda disappointed after TAF.

1 week later
#5292 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

What game?
The P- is usually for prototype ROMS.

Imma go out on a limb and say TAF considering where this was posted.

#5307 1 year ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Question for someone smarter than me (which Iā€™m pretty sure is all of you haha):
My Addams resets here and there. Iā€™ve done the googling on it, watched videos on resets, and have some similar symptoms: it only happens on a multiball, which a number of people talk about, when both flippers are flipped. The difference in line though is it doesnā€™t happen consistently even when trying to recreate it. It doesnā€™t happen often, but is frustrating when it happens. I tried one of those ā€œno resetā€ boards and that just made the flippers react wildly, triggering rapidly just from turning the game on.
Any ideas what to do or where to check?

Does the power cord have a ground?

1 month later
#5391 1 year ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

Issue with my Thing delivery to the 180 kicker into the subway
Here is what happens 3 different ways so Iā€™m a touch frustrated as I cannot pinpoint the issue
1-Thing takes ball = Ball gets stuck (ball search will clear the ball)
2-Thing takes ball = Kicker pops 2x ball finally makes it and game feeds ball to kicker (almost like a timing issue)
3- Thing operates perfectly = takes balls / falls into metal box / feeds to kicker and lock is as designed
The box is aligned properly and that doesnā€™t seem to the an issue transferring ball to the kicker
Thing operates fine and takes the ball like it should
Went through the thread and didnā€™t find much on what I am going through
Any help or suggestions are welcome and appreciated

Thing has an opto switch. Try cleaning it.

1 month later
#5491 1 year ago

Looks like the opto switch before the lower left flipper died. Anyone have a recommendation on the replacement, where to get it etc?

#5494 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Clean yours, damp Q Tip works.
If dead, here you go - https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-infared-led-opto-assembly-set.html solder wires back in the same spots. And white holder or black holder back on the same side.
LTG : )

Yeah I tried cleaning it, no dice.
Thanks for the link!

1 week later
#5550 1 year ago

I have them so guessing yes.

1 week later
#5581 1 year ago
Quoted from anx10us:

Hi, I'm hoping for some advice, finally managed to get TAF playing near perfect, have one bookcase opto receiver to fix and we are 100% working, I'm now starting to look at cosmetics, as you can see the mansion is very worn, would love to do a playfield swap (thats fun an expert), what can I do to at least tidy the mansion ? I've looked at the overlays, any advice on the bast approach (and best overlay), do I just stick one over and leave it at that, sand back playfield and inserts then place overlay on ? I want to try and be as sympathetic as I can, the idea of sanding back the overlays and playfield fills me with dread. Surely an overlay on top has go to 10x better than what I have now ? [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Not sure simply putting the mansion sticker on top would work well. I used an exacto knife and carefully trimmed to the exact size of the sticker and scraped it down to bare wood. Put the new sticker on and you can't tell. I polished the inserts as well while it was bare. Put a playfield protector on top and now it plays great.

#5584 1 year ago
Quoted from anx10us:

Maybe thats what I need to do, any recommendations for good mansion stickers (I'm UK Based) ?

Not sure I think I got it off ebay.

2 months later
#5826 11 months ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Iā€˜m toying with the idea of getting side wall decals for my TAF, but I have two concerns -
1.) it might look tacky - I started going through the gallery of pictures in this thread and it seems like hardly any of the photos show sidewall decals - coincidence or not?
2.) is scratching or tearing an issue when raising the playfield - is there a recommended minimum gap size under which decals are not to be recommended? I already scratched my side board once (doing something stupid if I recall correctly), but repainting with black is pretty easy.

20230517_184039 (resized).jpg20230517_184039 (resized).jpg20230517_184049 (resized).jpg20230517_184049 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 1,059.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

ā‚¬ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider glpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-the-addams-family-club-tafmembers-fans-welcome?tu=glpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.