IMG_7632 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5752 (resized).jpeg
wms_wpc_backbox_assembly.jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 5.00.20 PM (resized).png
IMG_7617 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5184 Use bayonet lamp socket for chair bulbs. Posted by DumbAss (1 year ago)

Post #5197 Pictures of using bayonet holders for chair bulbs. Posted by DumbAss (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from vilant:

I paid $2500-$2900 back in '03 or "04

Managed to buy mine for $1700 shopped out from a retailer back in 2001.
Those were the good old days

#34 10 years ago

interesting. First time seeing swamp grass in the swamp.

4 months later
#91 9 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

Clear bookcase and thing box, diff. colors by greed letters, what else?

Different text style on some mansion windows, the electric chair lights are reversed, and cousin It does not appear to be on his insert.
And also, thanks to the poor quality of video, the first TAF color DMD.

#94 9 years ago
Quoted from PunishersLEMC:

My chair won't hold bulbs in lol -right side pukes 'em out during play

Mine did the same thing with LED's.
I removed the chair and used a dremel tool to enlarge the chair hole a bit. Have not had the bulb pop out since.
At first I thought it was the socket, but the problem turned out to be the hole was not lined up right with the socket.

#100 9 years ago
Quoted from OldHarley:

What is the difference between the regular prom and the gold prom. I need to see what version I am running but I think I need to upgrade and was trying to understand the difference.

The biggest two differences are the addition of Super Seance and finding Cousin It's hidden objects in certain mansion rooms for big points.
Also Things wagon on the DMD for the match sequence says "Gold" on it.

1 year later
#471 8 years ago
Quoted from leesparts:

Please check out my Addams Mods at http://www.leesparts.com

The quality on Lee's stuff is top notch.

2 months later
#605 8 years ago

Swapped out my old smokey ramp for a new crystal clear one.
Looks and plays awesome.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#610 8 years ago
Quoted from vilant:

Would you sell the old one? If so, how much? I'd be interested.

Sure.
PM sent.

#617 8 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

Mine does the same. I have owned mine for some 15years and I thought that was normal.

I have not played an Addams that does not make the slap sound on the wall. Personally I love it.
But I suppose you could put the felt side of a velcro tape strip on the cabinet wall to quiet it down.

1 week later
#659 8 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Hello all,listen up!! I have a translite lift rod(bottom lift rod)for a TAFG ,made after 1993! This rod is bronze plated from Joey at Pinballdecals,and sells for 119.00! This rod is 25 3/4 inches long! FREE FREE FREE to the next person to ask for it! Must have a red heart donation logo!!! GO

Very nice of you sir

1 week later
#669 8 years ago

I am using green super bands at the moment.
They look great.

1 week later
#682 7 years ago
Quoted from mjthompson:

I'm going to shop an Addams soon. At this point I'm thinking I'll use black Titan rubber (flippers & rings) but I'd like thoughts on other colors that might work well with the game.

Found a photo of my green flipper bands installed. I have green on the lower flippers and red on the upper ones.

3 weeks later
#733 7 years ago

Wow.
It does not get more specific then that.
Epic post sir.
I think a monkey could figure it out now.

#735 7 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

This is why pinside is a great place , all fixed replaced fuse 110 , and done .
Thanks guys.
Call me a monkey then

You monkey.

1 week later
#752 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

So, what is the feel on regular vs gold roms? I've had gold the whole life of my ownership but I'm thinking of switching to regular to balance out the scoring stratigies.
What are some drawbacks of the regular roms?

No drawback that I know of with the regular roms.
I like the Gold roms, but yes they make tournament play a bit difficult.
Especially if someone gets Cousin It's gold watch and the next player gets Cousin It's toe nails.
But I do like to hear Gomez say "Suuuper Seance"

1 week later
#766 7 years ago

The speaker has a see through cone.

2 weeks later
#800 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Probably original rubber on the mini-posts.

Came with white rubber rings from the factory.
But I don't doubt they are old.

#801 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Really? Wow! So I don't worry about the screws on the side?

I just took mine off a couple months ago and don't remember any hard to get to screws.
Certainly did not have to remove the playfield.
But I do remember the pain in my lower back from leaning in the damn cabinet. lol

#803 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

They look like dried black clay, I imagine all the rubber looks this good.

They do.
I'm still betting they are black rubber rings.
The color is just too uniform to be dirty white rings to me.
But if they are I would love to know.
The owner can tell us as soon as he pulls them off.

#805 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

There is at least one screw way down there that is right between the box and the cabinet. There is very little room for a screwdriver to fit in there. Did you use amagnetic screwdriver?

Yes I have a magnetic ratcheting screwdriver that I can put a magnet socket on.
If you do any pinball work at all I highly recommend getting one. They are a lifesaver.
These are what I use.

socket_(resized).jpgsocket_(resized).jpg

Multibit_(resized).jpgMultibit_(resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#873 7 years ago

Also on the ball shooter problem. I have seen games where the two little metal tabs that the ball rests on have been bent so far forward that the shooter tip has to travel to far to connect with the ball well.
Probably not your problem but it s something to check and is an easy fix.

#874 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

What do you guys think about the issue I described above with the ball taking too long to pop into the shooter lane after thing drops it? Thanks

Remove the big metal bin at the bottom of the game and make sure no screws or other object has fallen in it and blocking the ball.
Also there is a switch under there near the box where the ball exits that the center wire likes to fall off of. It just pushes on and off.

#888 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Thats interesting! You mean these metal tabs?

Yes. Those are the tabs.
Yours don't look too bad from the photo. The one on the right may need to be slightly bent inwards towards the plunger. They should be level.
It is hard to tell how far back your shooter tip is from the ball.
It should be pretty close so you get the full effect of the plunge. If it is sitting to far back it will not matter how hard you pull the plunger back because it will not have enough follow through to push the ball.

#890 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Got it! Well I'm supposed to get new parts for the shooter rod assembly today. I ordered the sleeve, and a stronger spring. We'll see what happens. I'll post results.
About the problem with the thing box: you mentioned that there is a switch near the box, is that the one on the long clear ramp? See picture...If not, which one is it? Thanks so much!

The switch I am referring to is not in that pick.
If I were home I would take a quick photo for you, but I'm stuck at work until 4:00
Anyway from memory it is a small black microswitch. If has three lugs on the bottom and the middle lug has a push on connector. On my game that connector has shaken itself loose twice.
Again, it may not be your problem, but worth checking because it comes off pretty easily.

#892 7 years ago

Ok.
I just happened to have this pic on my phone.
It is NOT from an Addams Family but shows the type of switch and middle connector.
This pic is from a Diner pinball.
Hopefully it will help some in locating the one that is on your Thing ball exit under the playfield.
And yes, I'll take a real pic of the area when I get home.

#895 7 years ago
Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

I am shopping out my friends addams family and just finished cleaning/waxing/polishing the playfield. His is in great condition and it came out nice. What do you think?

Pretty nice looking playfield.
Not much wear in the skill shot hole or the chair scoop.
Also looks like the pads on all the switches are in great shape. Did you replace them?
Great work. No go clean that horrible lockdown bar mech. lol.

#898 7 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

I haven't really looked it up yet, but I'll ask here in case anybody knows off the top of their head:
Is there a definite or factory correct color arrangement/order to the pop bumpers?
I know on other titles like TZ, they belong in a certain order, but since the pops have nothing to do with the skill shot on TAF, I don't have a reference point. I ask because when I go to rebuild the pops, I've got matching skirt colors to go with them that I'm thinking of using. I'd hate to have one or more colors out of order!

Interesting question. I have seen these mixed up on lots of peoples games. So not sure many care.
I do know the clear one I think, has a flat cut on it to help it screw into place around an obstruction.

#904 7 years ago

Photo for Kornfreak.
Here is the switch I am referring to sir.

#906 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Oh yes!! I remeber that one! Ok can you please tell me what I'm supposed to check on this switch? Just to rule it out as a possible cause for the delay of the ball between thing to shooter lane. Happens very rarely but it does happen. Thanks for the picture, that was very nice of you.

1. Make sure the green wire is plugged in.
2. Put the game in switch test and see if the switch works when activated by hand.
3. I would check all the switches that the ball hits after being dropped by Thing while in the switch test.
You may have a faulty one.

#932 7 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

As somewhat of a pinball newbie, I'm hoping you fine folks can help me diagnose and fix an issue with my Addams.
The left side of my GI lights went out while I was installing (with the machine off) a trough lighting kit (led strip with alligator clips). I noticed the 5 amp fuse (the lower left one) blew so I replaced it hoping that would solve the issue but it did not. I've checked the wiring harness at J-120 (the schematic says that's the one that controls the left GI string). I also checked the voltage at the new fuse and I'm getting about 7.5 volts.
Not sure what else to look for or check. I have a multimeter, but not sure how to use it to help diagnose this issue.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps the wire for the trough LED strip was touching metal when I turned the machine on? I have since removed the led strip.
Thanks!

You may want to take a fine grit sand paper and clean the end caps on all of those fuses while you are in there.
With that much build up it can cause intermittent connection problems.
Or just replace them entirely if that is easier.
Also lets see a photo of J120 connector. It may be the connection.
The ones in the photo look good.

#946 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Do I have to replace the socket if I install LEDs?

No.

Wow. 3 answers within 10 seconds of each other.
New record. lol

#960 7 years ago

Hey guys.
I am looking for a photo of the Addams Family high score screen that says "Congratulations, you are a family member" or something like that.
A color DMD photo would be the bomb but orange dots are cool as well.
Can anyone post one of these up or message me if you have one.
Thanks.
Normally I would just take one myself but mine is down at the moment and my friends is out getting the Hep treatment.

#964 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

How much was it for your friend's HEP treatment?

Good question. But not one that I asked.

2 months later
#1147 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Who here has painted the chair? I remember someone posted some cool pics a while back. I would like to get one just like that. How much? PM me

I had mine painted by Modfather here on Pinside.
He did a great job.
Check out his web page.

#1160 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Thanks! Can I have the webpage please?

It is simply modfatherpinball.com.
He did my chair and the Thing hand.
He had photos of a lot of his work.

2 months later
#1226 7 years ago

First tin foil covered chair I have ever seen.

#1228 7 years ago
Quoted from metal-mods:

Custom set of chrome vinyl decals I made for the pop bumpers:

Those pop designs are very nice.
Are they available without the outer ring?
I think I would not like to cover up that much of the pop color.
And yes, I realize I could just not install the ring part, but I hate to waste stuff.

#1230 7 years ago
Quoted from metal-mods:

I could make without the ring if you'd like. They would be the same price though, as the time involved is related to removing the cut portions by hand. These were actually initially designed to use in conjunction with the Comet pop bumper rings, as people were complaining of them being to bright.

Great. Thanks.
I won't make you do a special set.
I will find a use for the rings.
Appreciate it and nice work by the way

Oh. How much and where to order?
I found the Addams Family with The AF, but not these yet.

3 weeks later
#1271 7 years ago

That is crazy just to have corrosion in that spot.
Nothing on the underside of the playfield near that corner has anything either.
Have not seen this before.

1 week later
#1313 7 years ago
Quoted from PhillyArcade:

Since I installed the ColorDMD in my TAF I was wondering what to do with the "thing" lights. You can't mount the PCB board for "thing" as there is no clearance to do so between the ColorDMD mounting, board, and plug. So I picked up some LED's and took them apart and soldered them to the circuit board. Made a jumper harness and now I should be able to mount this directly to the wood without the stand off's and they will work again! I did yellow LED's so the colors look vibrant. Pretty simple as long as you have a good iron and can solder!

That is some awesome work sir.
I do believe there is a mod kit for this already.
But I'm sure your do it yourself way is much cheaper.

2 weeks later
#1342 7 years ago
Quoted from Bronty:

Just joined the club. Exhausted and time for bed but pics tomorrow!

Well, we're waiting....

#1347 7 years ago
Quoted from Bronty:

LOL, well in that case!
http://i.imgur.com/Bq2ZRYd.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/MFIGU72.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/AUmUNSz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/q3tjr6A.jpg
Also, I collect original artwork and was happy and proud to purchase the original, pre-production John Youssi pencils to the backglass artwork recently. I'll frame her up soon and hang her near the machine. Here's a pic of the art
http://i.imgur.com/V5Rhsa7.jpg

Holy crap on that original Youssi pencil backglass!!!!
I would kill to own that.
Tell the story behind how you came to get it.
If any copies turn up Put me on the list.

#1355 7 years ago
Quoted from Bronty:

Thanks guys! It's the original. I'll frame it in due course I'll share the story but maybe after I finish paying for something else

Dude. You are killing me.
Very jealous.
Tapping fingers waiting to see what else you are after.

6 months later
#1591 6 years ago

You will love the clear ramp.
Put mine in over a year ago.
Really clears up a large area of the game.
Also after I did a complete playfield tear down and rebuild of my flippers, the ball would sail off the smoky ramp a lot.
After installing the clear one the ball has not flown off once. Very solid ramp.

3 months later
#1782 6 years ago
Quoted from Antennaejim:

Just picked up a TAF in my collection a week ago! Love this game! I threw a pinball pro sound system in it and now the speaker panel rattles like hell. Anybody have a good permanent fix to stop the rattle on the speaker insert?

Funny, as that was the first thing I suspected when the guy above posted the photo with all those screws around the speakers. lol
Mine rattles as well, during Showtime mostly.
I took some small strips of cardboard like you would find on the back of any notepad and tucked them down in the bottom between the panel and the game head.
Worked for me, but I suppose it all depends on what part is rattling.

#1809 6 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Question????
Is there a ball save on TAF? Can't seem to find it?

As SeaLawyer said. Only when you score zero points.
The best way to take advantage of this is on the skill shot plunge.
Always go for the skill shot.
If the ball misses the saucer, simply hold up the left flipper and the ball will drain, scoring no points.
The machine will kick a new ball into the shooter lane.
You can keep doing this over and over until you hit the skill shot.

3 months later
#2018 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Why is the Addams I just got the swamp ramp looks like the first pic and my Addams Gold looks like the second pic.

That is the swamp ball accelerator. Helps the ball to not get stuck and gets it where it is going faster.

#2022 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Is this a stocked item on the ramp or like a mod?

It is a mod. But highly recommended.
I would leave it.

2 months later
#2190 5 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

Hello! Bout to be in the club, as of Sunday. Very excited. I ordered a Color dmd for my game but I believe that this causes the thing lights not to work Or requires removal of that light board? I am not really sure.
If that is the case, How do I get the thing lights to work with a color dmd? Does someone sell a new light board or something? A link would be awesome. Thank you.

Just make sure you get the Color DMD LED and not the LCD and it will fit perfectly and let you keep your existing Thing Light board.
You will be giving up the ability to change modes like scan line, large dots and the like but the LED's have brighter colors and look awesome.

#2192 5 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I love large dots

I agree. Large dots are the best for the LCD's I own.
But on Games like Addams and Doctor Who that have light boards underneath, the LED's are awesome.

3 months later
#2348 5 years ago

About to live stream our Addams Family with newly chromed Ramps, lockdown bar and switch plate covers on the Ramps. From Pinball Plating
9-11 PM central
Twitch.tv/thepinballmafia

#2355 5 years ago

After a fresh cleaning I used the have the ball fly off.
But ever since I put the replacement clear ramp on my game it has never happened.

#2370 5 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

[quoted image]Let me know what you guys think.
Brand new CPR Playfield installed with some accent lighting.
[quoted image]

Looks great and very similar to my game.
I have the clear ramp, same thing box decal and book mod for the vault.
But my vault floor is the stone decal and I left off Uncle Lester because I had my electric chair painted and did not want to hide all the cool detailing.
I do like the stand up decals you used and may add those at some point.

#2384 5 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Could someone get a picture of how this yellow bumper by the pops should be setup? My game came with a straight black post here. I’m not sure if I have it upside down or not.
Does anything go on top of this? It’s shorter than the post.
[quoted image]

I trust that Loyd would be correct on it's orientation.
But when I shopped out my Addams Family for the first time I took tons of photos as I tore it down.
This is how it was as I took mine apart. I put it back together the same way and have had zero issues.
It is probably wrong because Loyd says so. Lol. But it does work just fine this way.

Also my top eject hole has no hole drilled in that spot.

IMG_1497 (resized).JPGIMG_1497 (resized).JPGIMG_1513 (resized).JPGIMG_1513 (resized).JPG
4 weeks later
#2423 5 years ago

Thanks for the photos snowvictim.
Not easy to rebuild an entire game from scratch.
The only issue that jumped out at me is your clear pop cap.
If I remember correctly it should have one flat edge so the ramp will fit better.

#2426 5 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Remember TAF does not have slide out latch/hinges like TZ and other B/W pins. It just has a simple pivots. That makes it quite hard to install parts at the top of the playfield, so I would try to finish everything at the top before putting it in the cab.

This is so true.
Make sure you do that.

1 week later
#2475 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Another condition question gentlemen (and ladies)...
Another of the photos of the playfield of the machine I talked about earlier shows something I don't know if it's a manufacturing issue, or a playfield decal that has been applied incorrectly, or is just normal...
[quoted image]
To me it looks like all of the mansion inserts have a white stroke around them (for example see "THING" and "RAISE THE DEAD"). I haven't seen this on other TAFs on Google Images, etc. What would cause this white stroke to be around the inserts? There is also some light bleeding through the top of Gomez's head ("Hit Cousin IT"), and some dirt under the mylar under the left hand side of his forehead it appears. Again this is being sold as "collector quality", and I'm inexperienced, so I dunno...

While I see what you are referring to I know tons of people that would kill to have a mansion that looks that good.
I say play on and enjoy the game.

3 weeks later
#2558 5 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

If it were me, I’d run the Britecap with uncut clear cap.

Same here. Just use a regular clear cap.
It looks a bit odd with the ring sticking out like that.

1 month later
#2611 5 years ago
Quoted from CharlestonSCPins:

Another option is the Comet Pinball LED ring. Wonder if anyone has used these and what your thoughts are.

I have these in my Twilight Zone.
They are great, but must be hot glued into the cap. if not they will jostle around and short out when the metal ring comes back up.
Trust me, I have been through 3 replacements before I took the instructions to heart and glued them in place.
Since then no issues at all and they look great. love the white light that shines down.
However I do agree with the above poster that the other kind should probably be used in Addams family because of the cut on the clear cap.

4 weeks later
#2669 5 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

Does anyone else's Addams make a loud crack sound when you turn the game off?

Yes

#2698 5 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Awesome thanks! A couple follow-up questions.
ROMs! It seems people don't prefer the gold roms that this machine has installed. There are a lot of versions, what version do people best?
Also, this board has been added, does anyone know what it's for? It looks like it runs to the audio board and to the topper.[quoted image]

The gold Roms are awesome. But only for casual play. If you like competition or tournament play then the regular roms are the way to go.
The problems are many with using gold Roms for tournaments but here are a couple:
Cousin it’s hidden items in the rooms are worth a wide range of points and if someone gets the gold watch compared to say a hair dryer then they have a huge scoring advantage.
Also the game randomly gives out Super Seance where all shots are worth a lot more then the regular Seance someone else may get.
But if just playing for fun all the extra voice callouts and modes are fun.

3 weeks later
#2752 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Anybody getting the CPR mirrored backglass for Addams, 3 versions available.?

Just went and looked at their site.
Awesome idea.
Hopefully they will bring some of these to TPF so we can see them in person.

3 months later
#3017 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

I’m owned TAF in the 90s. Nice machine. I paid 2K for it and yes I wish I held onto it.

Yep.
Got mine, shopped out for $1700 in the 90's.
But I still have it.
Love this game to much to ever sell it.

#3019 4 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

I paid $600 for mine back in the late 90s and still have it.

Nice.
I got a Funhouse for that same price.
Sold it though.
That is one I would get back if I could.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

30,000 (OBO)
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.95
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
Cabinet Parts
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-the-addams-family-club-tafmembers-fans-welcome?tu=arcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.