New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 78709)

The Addams Family Club (TAF) | Members & Fans Welcome

By mima

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,043 posts
  • 440 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 49 minutes ago by hisokajp
  • Topic is favorited by 278 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,335 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_7391 (resized).JPG
IMG_7390 (resized).JPG
6E1CECF2-1EFA-4455-9C0A-8EC1A438EB0F (resized).jpeg
DCE878CD-F8FC-40F5-B02F-4953F79290BB (resized).jpeg
20200627_122318 (resized).jpg
20200414_112829 (resized).jpg
1631EA09-60A7-4FD9-AE00-C398A871C68A (resized).jpeg
29FFDF8F-0796-46F2-8F66-3AC615E9BD1E (resized).jpeg
A48BCC99-5619-49F7-BE75-38C481B52BB7 (resized).jpeg
939F6A0F-2260-4D42-9306-EB76D8587EB2 (resized).jpeg
206AA7F7-9FEE-4FD7-8ACF-D4B7CF85F925 (resized).jpeg
03A321A3-F14B-4907-B954-5074D97A6DFB (resized).jpeg
7C0FE7C3-55F8-46D2-82A0-DF6234F05B82 (resized).jpeg
4C13B10E-0AEB-48D4-9D54-B74BF9ADE7E8 (resized).jpeg
BCCB13F4-5A00-4BD0-AC09-3D6A7BE006B7 (resized).jpeg
BECB46EB-E638-446E-8621-CB1581DE7D05 (resized).jpeg

There are 4043 posts in this topic. You are on page 80 of 81.
#3951 48 days ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

Okay Addams Group
Need your help
This is my 5th Addams I’ve owned since 2004 and it’s a childhood favorite of mine
Now with that there comes that moment when I walk away from it and sell it .. move to the next pin .. you know that moment
THEN months - years later I “re discover” the wow factor of The Addams Family from either a show game played or a buddy has one Etc
and I’m reborn hunting down yet another Addams and again the price value has again gone up
There getting harder to find as your all aware and don’t want to hunt another down next year at yet again a price increase
Any ideas to help it’s keeper appeal ??
Already have her pretty cut throat on the settings and what not
Being honest and want to keep her bolted down but fear I’ll stop wanting the play
I have seen new options out there
Shaker Motor and a new sound board
Are these really worthy or just a small notch in the belt of wow appeal
Color Dmd in Addams really doesn’t seem needed to me anyways, as it was the beginning of that Pixel technology and the clips are nothing compared to today
And yes that shooter rod I have owned over the years and reinstall on every joining Addams
Any advice from owners and fans of a true Pat Lawlor Classic
[quoted image][quoted image]

Honestly, it sounds like you want to keep the game — when you get tired of it just give it some space; loan it to a friend, put a dust cover on it or put it in storage. A ColorDMD isn't going to keep the game feeling 'new' for 2-5 years.

There's a lot you can do to make your game feel a bit more modern (PinSound, shaker, etc) but really the shots are going to stay the same the game isn't going to fundamentally change, and those are all aesthetic choices which will only make it feel revitalized for so long.

That's why I'm recommending you just figure out a way to give the game some 'space' until next time you want to keep it in your active duty roster.

#3952 47 days ago
Quoted from MintIndeed:

Honestly, it sounds like you want to keep the game — when you get tired of it just give it some space; loan it to a friend, put a dust cover on it or put it in storage. A ColorDMD isn't going to keep the game feeling 'new' for 2-5 years.
There's a lot you can do to make your game feel a bit more modern (PinSound, shaker, etc) but really the shots are going to stay the same the game isn't going to fundamentally change, and those are all aesthetic choices which will only make it feel revitalized for so long.
That's why I'm recommending you just figure out a way to give the game some 'space' until next time you want to keep it in your active duty roster.

That’s a solid idea

I’ll keep that in mind

Without loosing ownership I could give it that hibernation period to miss and revisit

#3953 47 days ago

Okay Addams Group
Need your help
This is my 5th Addams I’ve owned since 2004 and it’s a childhood favorite of mine
Now with that there comes that moment when I walk away from it and sell it .. move to the next pin .. you know that moment
THEN months - years later I “re discover” the wow factor of The Addams Family from either a show game played or a buddy has one Etc
and I’m reborn hunting down yet another Addams and again the price value has again gone up
There getting harder to find as your all aware and don’t want to hunt another down next year at yet again a price increase
Already have her pretty cut throat on the settings and what not
Being honest and want to keep her bolted down but fear I’ll stop wanting the play
I have seen new options out there
Shaker Motor and a new sound board
Are these really worthy or just a small notch in the belt of wow appeal
Color Dmd in Addams really doesn’t seem needed to me anyways, as it was the beginning of that Pixel technology and the clips are nothing compared to today
And yes that shooter rod I have owned over the years and reinstall on every joining Addams
Any advice from owners and fans of a true Pat Lawlor Classic
[quoted image][quoted image]

As someone who has had 4 go through my hands including a HEP, one I fully restored, and a near perfect TAFG, I can only say that I miss it and wish I would have kept my last one (the TAFG). I've settled on now that if CGC remakes it, I'll own it again and if not it'll just stick as one of my regrets.

TAF is the single pin that got me into pinball when I was young when all my friends were on the video game side of the arcade. It has a special place in my heart and hopefully some day I can have one back in my line up.

#3954 47 days ago

Where do
I find the

Motion Shaker Motor / Pinsound

I assume pin dmd for the display to freshen it up

Thanks
James

#3955 46 days ago

I get tired of all of them after a while so I am swapping my TAF with a friends DI for the holidays. We will swap back in the spring.

#3956 46 days ago

Where do
I find the
Motion Shaker Motor / Pinsound
I assume pin dmd for the display to freshen it up
Thanks
James

PinSound PLUS + Motion Control (shaker)
Alternatively there's the Pinshaker which is less expensive overall (does not require replacing the sound board like the PinSound does); it triggers on fewer things (basically it can trigger on any Solenoid activation; kickers, magnets, etc - so quite a lot, it's what I use)

I've tried ColorDMD's LED and LCD versions, and prefer the LCD version (looks more like the original DMD but in colour, and is MUCH easier to install and doesn't require modifying or replacing the THING light board). Here's the ColorDMD LCD for TAF.

I also highly recommend both an LED OCD and G.I. OCD board. You can see a side-by-side here and my take on them here.

Added 30 days ago:

> I've tried ColorDMD's LED and LCD versions, and prefer the LCD version

As pinballreno pointed out: I *meant* to say I've tried ColorDMD's LED and LCD versions, and prefer the LED version.

#3957 46 days ago

The LCD is the one that conflicts with the thing board. LED is the drop in replacement

#3958 46 days ago
Quoted from MintIndeed:

Alternatively there's the Pinshaker which is less expensive overall (does not require replacing the sound board like the PinSound does); it triggers on fewer things (basically it can trigger on any Solenoid activation; kickers, magnets, etc - so quite a lot, it's what I use)
I've tried ColorDMD's LED and LCD versions, and prefer the LCD version (looks more like the original DMD but in colour, and is MUCH easier to install and doesn't require modifying or replacing the THING light board). Here's the ColorDMD LCD for TAF.
I also highly recommend both an LED OCD and G.I. OCD board. You can see a side-by-side here and my take on them here.

You must mean the LED version?

#3959 46 days ago
Quoted from MintIndeed:

Thank you

I’ll Take a look

#3960 44 days ago

Not an Addams owner, nor big on mods, but nothing would make me want to get rid of a game faster than looking at something worn every time I played it, especially if the rest of the machine was in nice shape. If that were mine, I'd find a better apron that didn't have half of the graphics rubbed off, and I'd yank that coindoor and repaint it.

#3961 42 days ago

Joined today, got a cabinet that needs a few hugs but happy to oblige.

IMG_7397.HEIC (resized).jpeg
#3962 40 days ago

Getting ready to do a playfield swap. Wanted to test out Mother’s metal polish, and I’m impressed.

26CF5616-28A5-4AAF-AF80-6DE2A69D0C5F.jpeg
#3963 40 days ago

Looking familiar?

IMG_20201022_190111 (resized).jpg
#3964 39 days ago

I’m all for nostalgia but this code version is probably the buggiest of all versions 1992 L1.

E6C929C5-2C98-4FB1-A42F-4E0D5619DAD0 (resized).jpeg
#3965 39 days ago
Quoted from thegarse:

I’m all for nostalgia but this code version is probably the buggiest of all versions 1992 L1.
[quoted image]

definitely upgrade...

#3966 38 days ago

If L-1 is nostalgic, we'll call this prehistoric.

20201024_102336 (resized).jpg
#3967 38 days ago

New member this week. Color LCD DMD. Pin-Tek CPU-89 with NVRAM, Rottendog Driver for Bally/Williams WPC 89, Eprom Set for WPC Sound, Addams Family Gold L3, LED lights, CPR PF, CPR mirrored back glass (coming), Fused High Power Board A-15139, new balls, blades, thing and bookcase vinyl art (coming), moleskin protected painted thing hand, custom painting the chair next.
Love this family heirloom.

TZ on its way, same restoration love.

PXL_20201024_213725169 (resized).jpg
#3968 37 days ago

And painted my chair today.

PXL_20201025_222655553 (resized).jpg
#3969 36 days ago
Quoted from JDelzer:

New member this week. Color LCD DMD. Pin-Tek CPU-89 with NVRAM, Rottendog Driver for Bally/Williams WPC 89, Eprom Set for WPC Sound, Addams Family Gold L3, LED lights, CPR PF, CPR mirrored back glass (coming), Fused High Power Board A-15139, new balls, blades, thing and bookcase vinyl art (coming), moleskin protected painted thing hand, custom painting the chair next.
Love this family heirloom.
TZ on its way, same restoration love.
[quoted image]

Welcome!

If need Fester/Lurch/Bear mods, check my shop:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1253-creo-pinball/03699-bundle-fester-lurch-bear-kit-free-bonus

#3970 34 days ago

Hi All, I posted a little while ago about removing mylar for a playfield protector install and thanks for the replies. I'm in a position now where I can start but I have wear on the mansion inserts that will definitely be visible underneath the playfield protector. What would you do in this situation? Pics included.

20201028_170920[1] (resized).jpg20201028_170928[1] (resized).jpg20201028_170948[1] (resized).jpg
#3971 34 days ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Hi All, I posted a little while ago about removing mylar for a playfield protector install and thanks for the replies. I'm in a position now where I can start but I have wear on the mansion inserts that will definitely be visible underneath the playfield protector. What would you do in this situation? Pics included.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Since you asked, I would replace the PF if the wear bothered me. There is a lot going on in the mansion area including raised inserts, planking of the PF, multiple areas missing artwork completely, etc.. I can only assume that there is significant wear elsewhere as well. I'm not exactly sure what you are looking to protect at this point with the installation of the protector. It won't look any good on top of all of that variation in surface. You would have to even out that surface for it to look half way decent but it would still be significantly flawed underneath. With the work you have to go through to strip the top of the PF to place the protector, I would just keep going and replace the PF.

#3972 33 days ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Hi All, I posted a little while ago about removing mylar for a playfield protector install and thanks for the replies. I'm in a position now where I can start but I have wear on the mansion inserts that will definitely be visible underneath the playfield protector. What would you do in this situation? Pics included.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I have some mansion windows that have similar issues. I bought the mansion decal a few years ago and thought of cutting the windows out of it to replace the worn ones in the game. Then put mylar over the mansion area between the slings like I have seen done on some routed games. I even thought of having the playfield replaced recently and for now have decided to just enjoy playing it.

#3974 30 days ago

Playfield swap is finished, only two issues remain I’m looking for help with. The very back two GI bulbs have no power and not a single flipper works - it doesn’t register the buttons being pushed on the cabinet.

Reseated all of the connectors, brand new fuses and verified the soldering on the solenoids. Where should I look next? Wanted to add that all flipper and bumper coils are new and match the original board in terms of wiring.

Edit: got this figured out, game is all working now, so disregard.

#3975 28 days ago

Fixed the flipper wear! Picked these up from Ministry of Pinball.

20201031_180659[1] (resized).jpg
#3976 27 days ago

Before and after (so far).

BeforeAfter (resized).png
#3977 25 days ago

I need to purchase a new topper. What does the group recommend Smoke or Clear and why? All opinions are appreciated!

#3978 25 days ago
Quoted from Walamab:

I need to purchase a new topper. What does the group recommend Smoke or Clear and why? All opinions are appreciated!

I’ve got all clear (including ramps) on mine. Smoke just looked dirty in my opinion, but it’s free so take it for what it’s worth

#3979 25 days ago

Does anyone know what Morticia says in French on the Gold edition ROM when Gomez then says "That's French!"? Any of our international friends know the translation to English? I've always been curious as to what the line means. Thanks.

#3980 25 days ago

I never noticed any frech callouts there. Is there a special situation they are heard at?

#3981 25 days ago

In the show Gomez says Cara Mia - my darling
Morticia says Mon cher - my dear

Don't recall, but the pin is probably the same.

#3982 25 days ago
Quoted from JDelzer:

Does anyone know what Morticia says in French on the Gold edition ROM when Gomez then says "That's French!"? Any of our international friends know the translation to English? I've always been curious as to what the line means. Thanks.

"il me perce comme un poignard"
It pierces me like a lance.

(My wife knew the line from memory, just from your clue.)

#3983 24 days ago
Quoted from MintIndeed:

Awesome. Thanks so much.

#3984 24 days ago

Need suggestions please for some odd lighting behavior in lower play field. Mansion shows 2 modes at same time. 3 million and graveyard at max on constantly. Right special lane on. Extra ball light lights without getting extra ball. Have reseated all leds in mansion as well as cables in backbox. I’m obviously not doing something right. Any help appreciated.

#3985 24 days ago
Quoted from cumulonimbus:

Mansion shows 2 modes at same time. 3 million and graveyard at max on constantly.

Any battery leakage on the CPU board?

#3986 24 days ago

Need suggestions please for some odd lighting behavior in lower play field. Mansion shows 2 modes at same time. 3 million and graveyard at max on constantly. Right special lane on. Extra ball light lights without getting extra ball. Have reseated all leds in mansion as well as cables in backbox. I’m obviously not doing something right. Any help appreciated.

Do lamps work as expected in Test Mode?
If so, then check your Feature Adjustments - you mak have some things set outside of Factory defaults.

#3987 24 days ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Any battery leakage on the CPU board?

Nope, but could see where that would cause some issues. Funny you asked cuz just changed to remote holder yesterday so was in the area

#3988 24 days ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Do lamps work as expected in Test Mode?
If so, then check your Feature Adjustments - you mak have some things set outside of Factory defaults.

I will check that, thank you.

#3989 24 days ago

Funny you asked cuz just changed to remote holder yesterday so was in the area

Any connectors misaligned/offset by 1 pin? The switch and lamp connectors are at the bottom of the CPU board.

#3990 24 days ago

No all pins aligned. I am experiencing multiple lights coming on when in single lights test, the correct one and 2 or 3 others.......?

#3991 24 days ago

No all pins aligned. I am experiencing multiple lights coming on when in single lights test, the correct one and 2 or 3 others.......?

Okay - light matrix issues. A diode shorted or reversed somewhere.

#3992 24 days ago
Quoted from MintIndeed:

Awesome, I never knew that's what she said

#3993 24 days ago

thinking of selling my TAF 8500. PM me if interested...

#3994 24 days ago

I just wanted to make my first forum post after finding this site. RGP Usenet served me well for years but the community here is awesome. Big thanks to everyone and robin.

Oh yeah, and I'm a The Addams Family owner! I told my wife to bury me inside it when I go.

#3995 24 days ago

Just watching the Addams Family "Morticia's Romance part 2" episode on TV and Gomez starts the episode playing his Dancing Dolls pinball machine. Makes me want to go play my TAF and try to go find a Dancing Dolls lol

#3996 22 days ago

I was going through some old plastics and found this part. My new set of plastics didn't have one.

Does anyone know what it is and where it goes?

IMG_20201109_090143 (resized).jpg
#3997 22 days ago
Quoted from happyclan:

I was going through some old plastics and found this part. My new set of plastics didn't have one.
[quoted image]

You'd think that was in the cemetery as it's Fester's vulture, but I don't think it's a PF plastic at least not on mine, maybe a Gold Edition thing?

#3998 22 days ago
Quoted from happyclan:

[quoted image]

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-plastics-whats-the-deal-with-some-of-the-extras#post-1330372

#3999 22 days ago

Thanks guys. After that thread, I think they go in the lost plastics box! Not my bag.

#4000 20 days ago

Im going to soon be an owner of a TAF. Im super excited. I was wondering how rare the non matching lightning bolt decal color cabinet/heads for these machines. The one I am getting is like this (serials match so its original), and ive read the thread on pinside and im just curious how many of these are in the wild.

Also, OMG i cant wait to get it!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Portland, OR
There are 4043 posts in this topic. You are on page 80 of 81.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside