IMG_6370 (resized).JPG
IMG_6371 (resized).JPG
IMG_6365 (resized).JPG
IMG_7632 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5752 (resized).jpeg
wms_wpc_backbox_assembly.jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 5.00.20 PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,596 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 132.
#3151 4 years ago
Quoted from Barr993:

Beware the ebay NOS translites...
Backstory:

Sounds like a lot of trouble. Check out the glass versions from CPR -- they're gorgeous.

#3152 4 years ago

I've been checking the CPR BG reviews out but I'm not sold yet.

#3153 4 years ago

Lot of these NOS have shown up for sale lately . . .

Quoted from Barr993:

Beware the ebay NOS translites...
Backstory: I've had bad luck with translites, original in my machine is scratched, I bought a crappy NextGen on ebay a couple of years ago but never installed and never returned it, was then looking to buy an NOS one on ebay that was 10 miles from my house but seller wouldn't allow an inspection so passed on that one, bought another NOS off ebay but by the time it got from CA to NJ it was beat up on the ends too bad to use.
So fast forward to a week or 2 ago, saw another NOS pop up on ebay. All the right description, seller confirmed it was NOS and screen printed. Looking back, the pics were a suspect but seller had perfect feedback so I went for it. Immediately knew it was NextGen when I got it, not a bad one, had clear registration but washed out when lit. Seller said it was in with other NOS translites so he assumed it was NOS too. Utimately returned it for a refund with no issue.
Not going to out the seller here or in PM. Just want to give a heads up to those also looking for an NOS translite. If it looks to good to be true...

#3154 4 years ago
Quoted from Barr993:

The ink is definently darker, but I do honestly believe if a person adds super bright white LEDs into the back box that thing would look absolutely golden. It's too bad CPR doesn't take the time to shoot pictures of the product installed with the proper lighting to really showcase their products.

#3155 4 years ago

I think it’s pretty awesome. Colors are very rich. The mirroring is fantastic. You do need to light it good.

A48400F4-1E18-40CE-9A62-F33C18A17F4F (resized).jpegA48400F4-1E18-40CE-9A62-F33C18A17F4F (resized).jpeg
#3156 4 years ago
Quoted from codered9394:

http://shop.mrpinball.com.au/product/rubber-bumper-pads-3-3-x-1-23-used-on-taf/
Thanks for the info. Talked with Marco yesterday and they said they will have the pads in stock in 2 weeks if anyone else is looking.

I was just told by two different sales people at Marco that they needed to contact their supplier to see if they can even get them anymore and if so probably 30 days out.

#3157 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

was just told by two different sales people at Marco that they needed to contact their supplier to see if they can even get them anymore and if so probably 30 day

Seems like they are harder to get then they thought. Thanks for the update

#3158 4 years ago

This is what I did today to stop Thing from getting scratched. No disassembly required.

20190730_092520 (resized).jpg20190730_092520 (resized).jpg20190730_092814 (resized).jpg20190730_092814 (resized).jpg20190730_092825 (resized).jpg20190730_092825 (resized).jpg
#3159 4 years ago
Quoted from Barr993:

Any idea if they're making a 3D translite for Addams Family? I know they're not to everyone's taste but I love them!

#3160 4 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

This is what I did today to stop Thing from getting scratched. No disassembly required.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Interested to see how this holds up...I would think it would cut through it in time...

#3161 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Interested to see how this holds up...I would think it would cut through it in time...

The door is not that heavy. It normally just makes a dirty spot on the top of the hand where it rubs. The sticky cloth should work perfect.

#3162 4 years ago
Quoted from Barr993:

I have an ad up for original and a Next Gen. The Next gen has ridges and line details the original does not. Very detailed high quality remake of the translate. I've had several versions of the Addams translate. They made 24,000 of them by several makers during production.
Whats a true original.?...all white backing with only cousin IT highlighted in silver, semi clear window.

Parts - For Sale
New (selling multiple, business) - “Brand spanking new, only out of shipping tube twice. Protective coating still on face. Highly detailed ridges and accents to white backing to ad to its effects. I believe its next...”
2019-09-14
Anaheim, CA
Archived after: 16 days
Viewed: 363 times

#3163 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

The felt is very strong for what it is. As Neal said the door is not heavy. I think it will last a while. I thought to double it up but will see how this works for now. I did not like the dark marks on Thing.

#3164 4 years ago

Question for TAF owners/operators:

About what percentage of (automatic) Thing Flips should go into the swamp/graveyard bonus hole? I wouldn't expect 100 percent but it should hit more often than not.
I do not own TAF but play the Gold version at two nearby locations. On one, any shot from the Thing flipper (auto or not) just seems to brick out of that hole. On the other, I make his shot and the auto Thing Flip does it too, without any trouble.
I'm thinking it's a flipper issue (slightly too weak/loose?) but would anything else cause this? I want to be able to tell their tech what needs to be fixed.

#3165 4 years ago

There are two things here. Firstly, it has to learn when to flip, and initially it does this by a process of trial and error. Once it has calibrated itself if the machine is moved to a different location, or the levelling changed, or maybe even if it is cleaned or waxed, then it will become unreliable because the conditions have changed.

If the game has been changed in any of these ways Thing flips has to be recalibrated, and this is done by going into the menu and choosing "Reset Thing Flips Data". The game will then start learning the new conditions from scratch.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure it's meant to be fairly unreliable - both because the ball can and will go around the ramp at different speeds, drop down from the ramp slightly differently each time, adding or reducing a delay before it reaches the flipper, and because the game designers didn't want it to always make the shot.

If the flipper itself is strong enough to make the Swamp shot, and is trying to make it, then chances are it simply needs recalibrating or is working as intended.

#3166 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

There are two things here. Firstly, it has to learn when to flip, and initially it does this by a process of trial and error. Once it has calibrated itself if the machine is moved to a different location, or the levelling changed, or maybe even if it is cleaned or waxed, then it will become unreliable because the conditions have changed.
If the game has been changed in any of these ways Thing flips has to be recalibrated, and this is done by going into the menu and choosing "Reset Thing Flips Data". The game will then start learning the new conditions from scratch.
Secondly, I'm pretty sure it's meant to be fairly unreliable - both because the ball can and will go around the ramp at different speeds, drop down from the ramp slightly differently each time, adding or reducing a delay before it reaches the flipper, and because the game designers didn't want it to always make the shot.
If the flipper itself is strong enough to make the Swamp shot, and is trying to make it, then chances are it simply needs recalibrating or is working as intended.

Thanks much, I'm going there tonight for league. I really think it's more the flipper being a bit weak because when I flip manually at the moment it should, it bricks off the bottom of the swamp hole, and if I'm too late I shoot it straight into the outlane. They probably calibrated it, because it's clear from the other games on the floor they know what they're doing. On the Thing flip it just barely misses, gives me that "Swamp Million" score but it doesn't go in the hole for the 5X graveyard bonus.

I know it's supposed to miss sometimes but here it's missing four out of five times at least, and that to me means it's not right.

#3167 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

The game also uses the target switches around the swamp to detect if the flip was early or late, so if any of those switches are bad then it will have a hard time learning the Swamp shot.

#3168 4 years ago

I think someone else noticed or said something because it's fixed now. Thanks anyway. Makes about a 40-50M point difference for me, and more for someone who's actually good. It's always good to know how these games work.

#3169 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

This is crazy because I jumped on to ask this very question! So here’s my situation. I had the standard ROMs, Thing flipped into the swamp almost 100% of the time correctly. I just installed the Gold ROMs, and now it can’t hit a thing. It flips way too late and misses 100% of the time.

So is it really learning? Or do I have to calibrate some how?

#3170 4 years ago

It took mine a LONG time to relearn but once it did... I just had 500m game that it hit every time. I changed roms because color dmd recommend this version and I m glad I did.

#3171 4 years ago

Can anyone recommend specific mirror blades for TAF? Pictures would be helpful too.

#3172 4 years ago
Quoted from stavio:

It took mine a LONG time to relearn but once it did... I just had 500m game that it hit every time. I changed roms because color dmd recommend this version and I m glad I did.

When it's working like that, you don't need anything else really.

TAF will come up in league, sooner or later, and as long as it's working that shot's all I'm going for. Forget modes, forget multiball. Ramp, Thing flipper, Swamp, catch kickout, shoot center Thing lane, repeat.

#3173 4 years ago

We recently just finished a restore on an Adams Family added side blade art, color screen, small tv showing clips, several mods, stickers for its box, and library, and we powder coated it. Here some pics. We are showcasing several horror themed pinball games at our haunted house.

We even changed the backglass just to mix it up.

IMG_4830 (resized).jpgIMG_4830 (resized).jpgIMG_4898 (resized).jpgIMG_4898 (resized).jpgIMG_4899 (resized).jpgIMG_4899 (resized).jpgIMG_4900 (resized).jpgIMG_4900 (resized).jpgIMG_4901 (resized).jpgIMG_4901 (resized).jpgIMG_4902 (resized).jpgIMG_4902 (resized).jpg
#3174 4 years ago

Looks really good. I think the coloured LEDs behind the translite kind of wash out the colour in the artwork though. Maybe it's just the photo.
Awesome line-up too!

#3175 4 years ago

The purple flipper bands look good too

#3176 4 years ago
Quoted from jp1985:

Can anyone recommend specific mirror blades for TAF? Pictures would be helpful too.

I put a set of Power Blades on mine and they look great. I believe they were the Metallica creeping death ones.

#3177 4 years ago

Hope club members don't mind, not sure if you have seen this before, but this will be live streamed from UKPinfest 2019 - obviously, if you can make the event instead, that'd be great! Details about how it works and the event are available https://www.theukpinballclub.co.uk/news/addams-family-challenge-live-stream-uk-pinfest-2019/ and the channel on twitch is https://www.twitch.tv/theukpinballclub - I hear there is smoke!

20151010_093424_HDR (resized).jpg20151010_093424_HDR (resized).jpg
1 week later
#3178 4 years ago

Hello All- Just fixed a customer's Addam's Family today. It had a weird problem of slam tilting when I wasn't around. I couldn't duplicated the problem until today. Today I played the machine for a bit and noticed the score started to run without me hitting anything. It only happened when I flipped both flippers at the same time. I kicked off the switch test and it looked like this when both flippers were engaged.
20190815_110818 (resized).jpg20190815_110818 (resized).jpg

#3179 4 years ago

I figured it was the power / driver board so I replaced it with a new Rotten Dog. The problem went away instantly. Anybody have an idea of what failed on the OEM board? By the way, the switch test now looks like this with both flippers engaged.

20190815_114133 (resized).jpg20190815_114133 (resized).jpg
#3180 4 years ago

Just had my TAF delivered today. I have a few questions as I've only ever played this pin in loud environments so I've never truly heard the sound. It's running the L1 rom which I plan on replacing but is the audio normally kind of quiet/tinny compared to the sound effects and voice call outs?
Second question, it's got a shooter rod spring that you can hit the skillshot EVERY single time. I certainly dont remember that being normal. Confirm please.
Final question, the skillshot, when it kicks the ball out it's sometimes getting stuck behind thing. I plan on replacing all the coil sleeves but is there something else potentially causing this?

#3181 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Second question, it's got a shooter rod spring that you can hit the skillshot EVERY single time. I certainly dont remember that being normal. Confirm please.

If a full plunge only reaches the skill shot, the most likely cause is that the shooter rod is not aligned with the center of the ball. If you're just saying that it's an easy skill shot, well yes that's true.

#3182 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Final question, the skillshot, when it kicks the ball out it's sometimes getting stuck behind thing. I plan on replacing all the coil sleeves but is there something else potentially causing this?

Is the playfield level? Is the ball kicker aligned and hitting the ball in the center?

Quoted from CLEllison:

Mine had a very strong plunger spring when I got it and my guests would pull the plunger back with both hands and send the ball rocketing around the orbit. I switched to a lighter spring, so a medium plunge would make the skill shot.

Quoted from CLEllison:

I have a few questions as I've only ever played this pin in loud environments so I've never truly heard the sound. It's running the L1 rom which I plan on replacing but is the audio normally kind of quiet/tinny compared to the sound effects and voice call outs?

The music that plays while the ball is in the shooter lane is a bit lower than the callouts and effects for example. You can go on youtube and see some TAF gameplay to see what's typical.

#3183 4 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I figured it was the power / driver board so I replaced it with a new Rotten Dog. The problem went away instantly. Anybody have an idea of what failed on the OEM board? By the way, the switch test now looks like this with both flippers engaged.

Maybe a weak power supply. Maybe just a connection issue.

#3184 4 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Maybe a weak power supply. Maybe just a connection issue.

I already know the problem is on the power driver board. Just trying to see in anyone knows what component(s) might have failed on the OEM board. I'm thinking bridge rectifier myself.

#3185 4 years ago

It's a Rottendog board, it could be anything, and maybe even everything.

#3186 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

It's a Rottendog board, it could be anything, and maybe even everything.

The Rotten Dog board was the fix - The OEM Bally board has the problem.

#3187 4 years ago
Quoted from CaffeineSlug:

If a full plunge only reaches the skill shot, the most likely cause is that the shooter rod is not aligned with the center of the ball. If you're just saying that it's an easy skill shot, well yes that's true.

Thank you. The shooter rod was a little off which I realigned. However I found the main issue to be some ding dong bent the shooter rod housing front piece outward so the rod tip was barely hitting the ball. /smh

As far as the skill shot coil issue, I took it out, noticed the rubber butt stop was almost non existent and replaced, also replaced the coil sleeve. I bent the bracket just a tad. Tested and now the ball no longer hangs up, however the plunger still doesn't sit dead center of the play field cut out. Should the ball come rocketing out of there or a nice steady slower roll? I have nice and steady roll right now.

The book case doesn't sit level and for that matter it sits somewhat towards the left instead of sharing the distance on all sides if that makes sense. I do have a couple TAF shims on hand, does anyone have pictures of where these shims go?

#3188 4 years ago

Should i trade my Addams Gold #924 for a JJPPOTC CE?

#3189 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Should i trade my Addams Gold #924 for a JJPPOTC CE?

No

#3190 4 years ago

Egads, previous owner must have had a color display - the thing light board is missing. Anyone have one they want to sell?

#3191 4 years ago

More puzzle pieces. Can someone tell me what these connectors are for and where is the ground wire supposed to be mounted?

20190815_191642 (resized).jpg20190815_191642 (resized).jpg
#3192 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

We recently just finished a restore on an Adams Family added side blade art, color screen, small tv showing clips, several mods, stickers for its box, and library, and we powder coated it. Here some pics. We are showcasing several horror themed pinball games at our haunted house.
We even changed the backglass just to mix it up.

I like the green lighting in the swamp. I‘d like to borrow that idea. I guess you are using several bulbs - do you have that hooked up to the GI?

#3193 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

More puzzle pieces. Can someone tell me what these connectors are for and where is the ground wire supposed to be mounted?

The green ground wires goes to the leg bolt plate, and the ground braid should attach there also. You can see the start button and door interlock both look like green/red and white/red if you look close.

IMG_7201 (resized).jpgIMG_7201 (resized).jpg

#3194 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

More puzzle pieces. Can someone tell me what these connectors are for and where is the ground wire supposed to be mounted?[quoted image]

Your ground braid doesn't look to be attached to the leg plate, which it should be. You can attach the ground lead there too.

As for the wires, as said above they look like they come off the door interlock switch (if it's not a TAFG then it doesn't have that logic anyway)

If you've got a TAF and are using Gold ROMs then the game would report the coin door opening (but not actually isolate coil power). It's possible the previous owner simply got irritated by the message.

#3195 4 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

The green ground wires goes to the leg bolt plate, and the ground braid should attach there also. You can see the start button and door interlock both look like green/red and white/red if you look close.
[quoted image]

Thank you

Quoted from Durzel:

Your ground braid doesn't look to be attached to the leg plate, which it should be. You can attach the ground lead there too.
As for the wires, as said above they look like they come off the door interlock switch (if it's not a TAFG then it doesn't have that logic anyway)
If you've got a TAF and are using Gold ROMs then the game would report the coin door opening (but not actually isolate coil power). It's possible the previous owner simply got irritated by the message.

Thank you. And thanks for going into speculation detial... .. makes absolute sense. I plan on adding gold roms so there's no point of getting an interlock switch as it's not a gold model. As far as the ground braid, yes it's not connected to the leg bracket. I'm not sure why they would do that.

#3196 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

As far as the ground braid, yes it's not connected to the leg bracket. I'm not sure why they would do that.

Leg bracket bolt holes get stripped over the years and somebody was lazy when replacing the plate.

#3197 4 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Leg bracket bolt holes get stripped over the years and somebody was lazy when replacing the plate.

Thanks guys the ground wire and ground strap are back in place.
I'd say you're probably right. I spent the entire day going over this machine. Identifying missing components, loose components and straight up worn out components. If I didn't know any better the only thing (no pun intended) the operator did on this was a periodic waxing.

Next up:
Rebuild all 4 flippers (new everything)
Rebuild all 5 pop bumpers (new everything)
Install new pop bumper leds
Install new ramp - I'm surprised how easy that'll be.
Replace all coil sleeves
See if I can adjust the swamp shute. Its ejecting the ball damn near to the tip of the right flipper. The welds appear to be intact.
Rebuild book case and add graphics - try to figure out how the shims work as it's not level.
Add graphics to things box

#3198 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:try to figure out how the shims work as it's not level.

I just rebuilt my bookcase and trying to figure out the best way to shim myself. No shims were installed that i can tell before removal. If i come up with something before you i will post here

#3199 4 years ago

Just joined the club! Has a few issues and will be looking for some advice shortly.

1518E03D-A532-4F9E-8A2A-39E6B286E1B9 (resized).jpeg1518E03D-A532-4F9E-8A2A-39E6B286E1B9 (resized).jpeg
#3200 4 years ago

So the previous owner installed LED’s and some of the bulbs, particularly the lights on the vault, are always lit whether they are supposed to be on or not. It’s rather faint but they are on nonetheless. Anyone know the cause and is there a fix?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 180.00
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

30,000 (OBO)
Cabinet Parts
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,159.00
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

There are 6,596 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-the-addams-family-club-tafmembers-fans-welcome/page/64?hl=ambro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.