IMG_7632 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5752 (resized).jpeg
wms_wpc_backbox_assembly.jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 5.00.20 PM (resized).png
IMG_7617 (resized).jpeg
20240323_132510 (resized).jpg
20240323_132525 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,588 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 132.
#2651 5 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Just put my Black Friday purchases to work and have been putting in the LEDs for inserts, GI and backglass. Have more GI to do, but put in my first set of spotlights too and I feel like it’s TOO bright. Both of these pics are with the LEDs and spots in, but it feels more like the brightest one in person. I just started looking up pinstadium from some suggestions on Facebook, either that or might drop from the 4LED in the spots to 2LED? Anyone else have thoughts from theirs, or have I just been looking at lights too much for one day? Ha
[quoted image][quoted image]

What kind of bulbs did you use in the spots? Looks like a clear dome cool white. 4 led bulbs are way too much. Try a frosted warm white in one or two dmd. The lighting should be more subtle I think, not a flood of light.

#2652 5 years ago

It is interesting how much easier it got between TAF and STTNG to work on and under the playfield. TAFs playfield can be lifted off its cabinet posts and moved out actually. Just need to be careful. Then again you always need to be careful

pins5a (resized).jpgpins5a (resized).jpg
#2653 5 years ago

What can you rest the playfield on though after you've taken it off the hooks? Or are you on about taking it completely out of the cab?

#2654 5 years ago

I need to check the thing hand wires, since the magnet isn't picking up the ball. Can anyone suggest how to check the wires? Do I need to remove part of the box? I'm new to owning and fixing games (though I did manage to rebuild some of the flippers.

#2655 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

What can you rest the playfield on though after you've taken it off the hooks? Or are you on about taking it completely out of the cab?

I bought a cheap pillow. I've also seen some use real thick cushions.

I'm going to be shopping out a TAF in a day or two. I'll take pics.

#2656 5 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I bought a cheap pillow. I've also seen some use real thick cushions.
I'm going to be shopping out a TAF in a day or two. I'll take pics.

Yup, my wife tried to throw away a big memory foam pillow that was old. Works perfect for the pins. Lay on lock bar reciever, pull table up and out, I rest on transformer at back, lay down on pillow.

#2657 5 years ago

You need to pull the playfield off the hooks. That allows you to pull it out. Just be careful and don’t pull too far or it’s going to end up in the bottom of your cabinet.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2658 5 years ago

Thanks very much, that's very helpful. I've got a broken rib at the moment so not going to risk trying to lift the playfield out on my own (not even sure that would be a good idea), but those photos are very useful. You're a star!

#2659 5 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

[quoted image]

One last question about this 3-tier phone plastic please, as its pretty much the last thing I've got to do before I've finished my machine off...

Do you unscrew those two Philips screws completely and try and slowly extract them through the 3 layers, or do you just loosen them and try and work the plastic out from underneath them? There doesn't appear to be much room to move that plastic anywhere other than straight up.. on mine it is flush with the metal ball guide.

Sorry for the mundane questions - I just want to be fully prepared and don't want to lose a screw inside the machine

#2660 5 years ago

It’s fairly tight so you need to remove them in most cases. At least one from ones I’ve worked on.

#2661 5 years ago

Ok thanks. Having nightmares already about trying to fish the screws out through the 3 layers..

#2662 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Ok thanks. Having nightmares already about trying to fish the screws out through the 3 layers..

Magnetic screwdriver makes it easier for sure. I had to remove this to put in LED's a couple of years ago. Yes a pain but not horrible.

#2663 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Took the main ramp off my TAF at the weekend, I now officially hate playfields that don't pull out...
It actually isn't a hard ramp to remove, but the logistics of actually unscrewing it are a massive pain. I thought I'd post this not as a guide but more of a "these are the issues I ran into" in the hope it might help others.
I genned up on what was involved by reading lots of posts on this thread and elsewhere, but still got caught out. I don't know if my TAF is different to others but the two lights above the Thing ramp were screwed onto the ramp, and cable tied to it, and the connector for them went down a completely different hole in the playfield....
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
This piece of plastic is annoying..
[quoted image]
..you can't remove the ramp fully from the machine without at least loosening it because the two connectors that you unplug from the bottom of the playfield will not fit through the hole. The hole is big enough for the wires, but not for the connectors. That blue plastic piece is screwed onto the wooden rail with two Philips screws. You will need a short screwdriver to access them as they are almost directly under the glass channel (you could remove that instead but I chose not to because I didn't want to have to deal with glass fitment issues afterwards).
I would suggest removing this piece completely and change the two #44 GI bulbs underneath to something like Comet Optix Maximus, as the back of the playfield on Addams is notoriously dark. I went with Ice Blue which is a nice halfway house between natural white and the blue of the plastic above.
If you change the post rubbers at the same time as removing the ramp - as I did - you will likely find, particularly if you buy the Titan silicone ones, that the ramp is a very tight fit when you try to put it back in the game because of the post by the entrance...
[quoted image]
...I actually struggled with this part because the Titan post silicone is quite a bit thicker than the standard black one. I would even suggest trying a "Stern slim" one here instead. You can see the difference in thickness here:
[quoted image]
Lastly, the following tool is an absolute boon when it comes to unscrewing hard to reach screws. I managed to remove the ramp from mine using it without having to lift the playfield up at all (other than to disconnect the connectors). It has a wheel you can rotate by hand to unscrew, or it will ratchet screws tight or loose if you want:
amazon.com link »
Anyway, I hope this helps anyone removing the ramp. Obviously the other standard things apply - you need to push the diverter in to remove the ramp. If you don't and you've never removed the ramp before you'll wonder why it's not coming off properly...

Thanks for the great post. I replaced my ramp a year ago and went at it in a similar fashion. Being the OCD person that I am I took pictures of every connection and screw. Then took it apart and unsoldiered and reassembled. Easily a 2 hour job but the results were well worth it. I had it out I took the time to clean under there really well. Biggest problem I still face is the #6 screws used at the base of each ramp didn't tighten back down properly so I went with #8's and a very careful drill bit so it would be flush.

I'd say this is not a highly technical job but one that does take some attention to detail and patience (not one of the gifts God gave me BTW).

#2664 5 years ago

If a hole is too big I fill it in with a toothpick and glue. The ramps all come out by unplugging the wires underneath.

#2665 5 years ago

Does anyone else's Addams make a loud crack sound when you turn the game off?

#2666 5 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

No. But my Funhouse does.

#2667 5 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

No. But my Funhouse does.

Mine always does and has always since I owned it. I figured it wasn't anything but was wondering if others do it

#2668 5 years ago

I wouldn't describe it as a crack but it definitely makes a sound. My TZ does too, as does friend's Funhouse.

Always assumed it was a WPC quirk.

#2669 5 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

Yes

#2670 5 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

Mine does, from the speakers right?

#2671 5 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Mine does, from the speakers right?

Mine is more of a “pop” from the speakers.

#2672 5 years ago

Yep, mine makes a pop as well.

#2673 5 years ago

Count me in for a pop at switch on.
There was a guy in Australia working on a pop eliminator.
The project became a lot like the Stern Book, no news in a year now.

#2674 5 years ago
Quoted from jp1985:

Mine is more of a “pop” from the speakers.

Right, that’s what mine does. I had been wondering if that was bad, glad it’s normal haha.

#2675 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Count me in for a pop at switch on.
There was a guy in Australia working on a pop eliminator.
The project became a lot like the Stern Book, no news in a year now.

Indeed. Rather strange too because I would've assumed if priced reasonably it would sell very well.

I know the pop doesn't do any damage but it doesn't sound great. If I could buy a plug and play board that just splices in without any fuss (like the WPC 5v daughter board) I'd be all over it.

#2676 5 years ago

I heard somewhere it’s something discharging that makes that sound.

#2677 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Indeed. Rather strange too because I would've assumed if priced reasonably it would sell very well.
I know the pop doesn't do any damage but it doesn't sound great. If I could buy a plug and play board that just splices in without any fuss (like the WPC 5v daughter board) I'd be all over it.

Quoted from jp1985:

I heard somewhere it’s something discharging that makes that sound.

I also get the "pop" when I turn some wpc games off.

#2678 5 years ago

A guy from Finland acctually found a simple solution on this annoying "poping"
Check it out - should be a easy diy => http://tuukan.fliput.net/nonoise_en.html

#2679 5 years ago

Someone should sell this mod pre wired.

#2680 5 years ago

Jablinski Games does a quick review of TAF:

#2681 5 years ago

Well that won't help TAF values at all

Shame he didn't talk about it a bit more.

#2682 5 years ago

Which bulbs go in the cloud topper and what is everyone using? Cool white led?

#2683 5 years ago

906’s. I use blue flat tops myself.

#2685 5 years ago

I wish I could use my topper.

#2686 5 years ago

Yeah ceiling in my basement is too low...

#2687 5 years ago
Quoted from dharv:

Magnetic screwdriver makes it easier for sure. I had to remove this to put in LED's a couple of years ago. Yes a pain but not horrible.

Had a go at this (removing the three layer phone plastic at the top right of the playfield) tonight but gave up because I could sense I was going to lose the screw. Not sure my magnetic screwdriver is long enough for the screw closest to the back of the machine.

It looks as if I will struggle to get the screw past the second layer of the three layer plastic as the cutout is smaller than the screw head. If it catches on it as I lift it up it's going to come off the end of the screwdriver and go who knows where.

Someone else on here suggested raising the playfield but I can't see how this could possibly help because that plastic is pretty much on the pivot point. The access to the screws etc doesn't get easier if you put the playfield up, if anything it gets worse.

Any ideas or a how-to video gratefully received

#2688 5 years ago

I'm new to the club! Got it home today. It's a little more of a project than I expected, but nothing I can't deal with I don't think.

I wonder about a could of things... In the following pictures, is it normal for the one Target to be flat vs the round ones around it? Or is this a hack?

Also, it's been a while, but I thought the bookcase was blue. Is orange normal?

IMG_20190127_222508474 (resized).jpgIMG_20190127_222508474 (resized).jpgIMG_20190127_222514635 (resized).jpgIMG_20190127_222514635 (resized).jpg
#2689 5 years ago

Welcome to the club! I just joined myself this past week.

They are all supposed to be round, looks like someone didnt have a round one handy and rigged it. Also that gold bookcase was made for the gold edition they made a couple years later. I have the gold edition and mine looks like this.

Quoted from EvanDickson:

I'm new to the club! Got it home today. It's a little more of a project than I expected, but nothing I can't deal with I don't think.
I wonder about a could of things... In the following pictures, is it normal for the one Target to be flat vs the round ones around it? Or is this a hack?
Also, it's been a while, but I thought the bookcase was blue. Is orange normal?[quoted image][quoted image]

#2690 5 years ago

I joined this past week.. little late but heres a few pics. Addams Gold edition #949. Locally owned since new, home use documented with all paperwork and original matching boards.

20190123_111937 (resized).jpg20190123_111937 (resized).jpg20190123_132727 (resized).jpg20190123_132727 (resized).jpg20190125_232143 (resized).jpg20190125_232143 (resized).jpg
#2691 5 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

Welcome to the club! I just joined myself this past week.
They are all supposed to be round, looks like someone didnt have a round one handy and rigged it. Also that gold bookcase was made for the gold edition they made a couple years later. I have the gold edition and mine looks like this.

Sorry to contradict, but there are three “oblong” switches in the game. Two by Hit Cousin It, and one for the Bear Ramp. Two red and one blue.

#2692 5 years ago

Here’s Pinball decals for all the switches...

E67DBF8D-0D67-4838-89B3-B3D780EADAD1 (resized).pngE67DBF8D-0D67-4838-89B3-B3D780EADAD1 (resized).png
#2693 5 years ago

Sorry I was wrong. I was thinking of the one by the electric chair. Thanks for the correction!

d149f2eeadd01cc71666fe91136156e5d0fcd46f-1 (resized).jpegd149f2eeadd01cc71666fe91136156e5d0fcd46f-1 (resized).jpeg
#2694 5 years ago

Awesome thanks! A couple follow-up questions.

ROMs! It seems people don't prefer the gold roms that this machine has installed. There are a lot of versions, what version do people best?

Also, this board has been added, does anyone know what it's for? It looks like it runs to the audio board and to the topper.

IMG_20190128_082552163 (resized).jpgIMG_20190128_082552163 (resized).jpg
#2695 5 years ago

Whatever it is it's completely custom.

One would guess that it's some kind of volume based cloud lightshow? The OEM topper has just three flashers mounted at the top of the backbox, anything else is custom.

#2696 5 years ago

I was looking to touch up the paint by my flipper buttons, it has worn off slightly on the one side. Does anyone have any ideas what type or exact color of paint to get to match. I am guessing a black gloss, but if someone can point me to the exact paint code I would appreciate it.

#2697 5 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

I was looking to touch up the paint by my flipper buttons, it has worn off slightly on the one side. Does anyone have any ideas what type or exact color of paint to get to match. I am guessing a black gloss, but if someone can point me to the exact paint code I would appreciate it.

I don't know if it exists in the USA, but my local Benjamin Moore store actually has a color called "pinball black". It was a very pleasant and convenient surprise when I found that.

#2698 5 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Awesome thanks! A couple follow-up questions.
ROMs! It seems people don't prefer the gold roms that this machine has installed. There are a lot of versions, what version do people best?
Also, this board has been added, does anyone know what it's for? It looks like it runs to the audio board and to the topper.[quoted image]

The gold Roms are awesome. But only for casual play. If you like competition or tournament play then the regular roms are the way to go.
The problems are many with using gold Roms for tournaments but here are a couple:
Cousin it’s hidden items in the rooms are worth a wide range of points and if someone gets the gold watch compared to say a hair dryer then they have a huge scoring advantage.
Also the game randomly gives out Super Seance where all shots are worth a lot more then the regular Seance someone else may get.
But if just playing for fun all the extra voice callouts and modes are fun.

#2699 5 years ago

Is it possible to have the callouts etc with the standard rule behaviour?

I thought something was wrong with my TAF when getting a chair shot would award like three different windows sometimes.

#2700 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

The gold Roms are awesome. But only for casual play. If you like competition or tournament play then the regular roms are the way to go.
The problems are many with using gold Roms for tournaments but here are a couple:
Cousin it’s hidden items in the rooms are worth a wide range of points and if someone gets the gold watch compared to say a hair dryer then they have a huge scoring advantage.
Also the game randomly gives out Super Seance where all shots are worth a lot more then the regular Seance someone else may get.
But if just playing for fun all the extra voice callouts and modes are fun.

I'd definitely rather competitive ROMs. It seems like L5 would be the way to go, L7 is only for color dmd? Are the differences up to l5 all good bug fixes? I know with getaway every version is buggy and preferences vary a lot.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.95
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 6,588 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-the-addams-family-club-tafmembers-fans-welcome/page/54?hl=tictacseth and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.