IMG_5752 (resized).jpeg
wms_wpc_backbox_assembly.jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 5.00.20 PM (resized).png
IMG_7617 (resized).jpeg
20240323_132510 (resized).jpg
20240323_132525 (resized).jpg
20240323_173327 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,586 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 132.
#1951 6 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

so i was just doing a PF swap and I got a new plastic set from Marcos but after swapping all the one i had on my old pf I am left with a whole a bunch... any clues where those go?

The green and yellow plant goes on top of the tapered post rubber under the left ramp.

#1952 6 years ago

Led thing board. Mine just sucks, no brightness at all. Installed to add colordmd, they are very dim. Threw in old one original last night, just fine lights up bright in all tests.
So, is my thing led board just old original design, 3 years old now, is there an upgraded newer style?
Thanks

#1953 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Led thing board. Mine just sucks, no brightness at all. Installed to add colordmd, they are very dim. Threw in old one original last night, just fine lights up bright in all tests.
So, is my thing led board just old original design, 3 years old now, is there an upgraded newer style?
Thanks

Put brighter LEDs in it

#1954 6 years ago

ok replacing my playfield and i need to replace the screws underneath the pop bumpers. i cant seem to find a part number for this screw. i have pictures below. If someone could help me that would be great!

thanks

screw (resized).jpgscrew (resized).jpg

playfield (resized).jpgplayfield (resized).jpg

#1955 6 years ago

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=240

You want the twist shank screw. Don’t worry about the star head, it’s not visible and you don’t need to replicate that.

#1956 6 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

ok replacing my playfield and i need to replace the screws underneath the pop bumpers. i cant seem to find a part number for this screw. i have pictures below. If someone could help me that would be great!
thanks

Go to ipdb, find the parts list, search for things used in quantities of 15, towards the bottom you'll find:

2235 .2 4506-01104-20 sss 6-32X1 1/4 15

Punch that part number into marco to check: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4506-01104-20 which says it's been superceeded by 237-5957-00.

#1957 6 years ago

what good taste you have

pb (resized).jpgpb (resized).jpg

#1958 6 years ago
Quoted from Bronty:

what good taste you have

Thanks! You too, sir, you too!

#1959 6 years ago

First test for the new apron decals... Just a little too big...

IMG_20180215_195423 (resized).jpgIMG_20180215_195423 (resized).jpg

#1960 6 years ago

Thanks for the help on the screws. I have another question, i noticed on the old playfield under the ramps is a colored vinyl fill piece. (see pics) do I need to replace these or use them at all, were they just fillers for the ramp?

pin2 (resized).jpgpin2 (resized).jpg

pin1 (resized).jpgpin1 (resized).jpg

#1961 6 years ago

You don’t need to replace those. It’s funnu that all games had them, but as long as your ramp and flap smoothly transition, no need to replace it.

#1962 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

You don’t need to replace those. It’s funnu that all games had them, but as long as your ramp and flap smoothly transition, no need to replace it.

Thanks!

#1963 6 years ago

Those were actually used to help 'soften' or 'lessen' the bend that the ramp flaps can bend. (Also, they were 2-sided sticky tape, to help hold the ramp in place while screwing it down..) Without them - especially if you use a thinner ramp-flap material - you could get airballs off hard shots to the ramps.

#1964 6 years ago

I used 3M double sticky silicone mounting tape. I left the plastic covering on the top side. It comes in different widths.

#1965 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=240
You want the twist shank screw. Don’t worry about the star head, it’s not visible and you don’t need to replicate that.

ok i got these screws, how do i install them, they have a nail like head do you hammer them in, i dont see how you could hand screw them in flush?

#1966 6 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

ok i got these screws, how do i install them, they have a nail like head do you hammer them in, i dont see how you could hand screw them in flush?

See https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-rebuilding-pop-bumpers#post-485851

#1967 6 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

I use a plastic mallet then a metal punch to get them flush.

#1968 6 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I use a plastic mallet then a metal punch to get them flush.

not that i ever plan to attempt this, but how do you uninstall them?

#1969 6 years ago

how flush do these things need to be. is this good enough? i am afraid to hit it any harder?

pin3 (resized).jpgpin3 (resized).jpg

#1970 6 years ago

Pretty sure they need to be flush or the ball could stick there, or they my interfere with the skirt, etc. The holes should have a counterbore for the head to go down in.

#1971 6 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

Put the nut on the underside of the playfield and tighten it. It will draw the screw down safely. You don’t need to hammer at all this way.

#1972 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Put the nut on the underside of the playfield and tighten it. It will draw the screw down safely. You don’t need to hammer at all this way.

He's not pulling those down without tapering the top of the hole first. Simplest way is to use a drill bit the size of the head. Be careful.

#1973 6 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

He's not pulling those down without tapering the top of the hole first. Simplest way is to use a drill bit the size of the head. Be careful.

yikes, I actually did drill out the top of the hole first, but apparently it wasnt wide enough. Should I try to remove this screw, if so, do i just tap it out from the bottom? HELP!

#1974 6 years ago

I need a new chair for my Addams. Where can I get the lights that go on the side of the chair?

#1975 6 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

Should I try to remove this screw, if so, do i just tap it out from the bottom? HELP!

That screw appears to next to a post, so I guess it is on the back side of the pop and the ball never goes there? In that case, it may be OK to ignore that one and make sure to get the other ones right.

#1976 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I need a new chair for my Addams. Where can I get the lights that go on the side of the chair?

They are just 555 bulbs with colored lamp covers. Are you asking about the sockets themselves?

#1977 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

They are just 555 bulbs with colored lamp covers. Are you asking about the sockets themselves?

Where are they wired up to?

#1978 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Where are they wired up to?

Small molex that goes under the playfield.

#1979 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Small molex that goes under the playfield.

Thanks

#1980 6 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

how flush do these things need to be. is this good enough? i am afraid to hit it any harder?

Hammer the old one out. Get a metal punch slightly smaller and hit it. It has to be flush.

#1981 6 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

The screw has to be tight in the playfield or it will spin from the bottom if you take the nuts off.

#1982 6 years ago

Hi guys, I've got an issue with my recently aquired TAF which I can't quite figure out. This is a 'normal' 1992 TAF which runs the LX3 Gold Roms (I purchased it this way).

When I open the coin door, the service buttons/volume buttons do not work. You can hear the noise/beep when you press them, but the display reads 'open coin door to use service buttons'.

My first guess was that there would be acid damage. I drilled out the backbox lock (keys were lost) and yes there are leaking batteries (batteries from June 2015), but it does not seem to have affected the board. I attached a photo of this. The battery holder will of course be removed asap.

Also, after removing the batteries and starting the machine (factory defaults) the coin door buttons work, once. I can change settings and save them as normal. After leaving the adjustmens/test menu's however, it's back to the 'open coin door' message (coin door buttons still generate a sound).

Now, I've checked for a coin door switch but this does not seem to be present in my 1992 TAF. So now I'm wondering, do perhaps the TAF Gold roms expect a coin door switch to be present and be activated for the service buttons to work? Do I need to install a jumper somewhere in order to fake this coin door switch?

All ideas are welcome. Thanks!

IMG_7239 (resized).jpgIMG_7239 (resized).jpg

#1983 6 years ago
Quoted from Svend:

Hi guys, I've got an issue with my recently aquired TAF which I can't quite figure out. This is a 'normal' 1992 TAF which runs the LX3 Gold Roms (I purchased it this way).
When I open the coin door, the service buttons/volume buttons do not work. You can hear the noise/beep when you press them, but the display reads 'open coin door to use service buttons'.
My first guess was that there would be acid damage. I drilled out the backbox lock (keys were lost) and yes there are leaking batteries (batteries from June 2015), but it does not seem to have affected the board. I attached a photo of this. The battery holder will of course be removed asap.
Also, after removing the batteries and starting the machine (factory defaults) the coin door buttons work, once. I can change settings and save them as normal. After leaving the adjustmens/test menu's however, it's back to the 'open coin door' message (coin door buttons still generate a sound).
Now, I've checked for a coin door switch but this does not seem to be present in my 1992 TAF. So now I'm wondering, do perhaps the TAF Gold roms expect a coin door switch to be present and be activated for the service buttons to work? Do I need to install a jumper somewhere in order to fake this coin door switch?
All ideas are welcome. Thanks!

Check all the connecters under that battery mess you have going. Mine did the same and I found some bad pins in the connecters.

#1984 6 years ago

That message means that the game's "Coin Door Open" switch is reporting as closed, even when the door is open. Check the switch, and wiring to the switch.

Being able to access it once on factory reset is expected in this situation.

#1985 6 years ago

Is it saying 'Open Coin Door' when you turn it on?

I know some pins normally say that to let you know the batteries are removed/dead and everything is reset.

#1986 6 years ago

Hurray, I fixed the issue! I found a photo of another TAF which does have a coin door switch. I located the wire colors in the cabinet and at the end of those wires was a small (non-original) switch. I switched it into another position and it acts as the interlock switch, and all the buttons then work as well.

The machine was located at a company, my guess is that the owner wanted to keep his employees away from working volume buttons or something.

All I need to do now (quickly) is to remove that damaged battery holder.

#1987 6 years ago

I have been working on a Addams this week. Not my Gold but for someone else. Has anyone ever seen Fester and Swamp Scoops this bad. New ones are on order.

20180221_203712 (resized).jpg20180221_203712 (resized).jpg

20180221_203420 (resized).jpg20180221_203420 (resized).jpg

#1988 6 years ago

Wow—that is some battered metal.

#1989 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I have been working on a Addams this week. Not my Gold but for someone else. Has anyone ever seen Fester and Swamp Scoops this bad. New ones are on order.

Looks like someone was using the scoop to learn how to weld, and didnt use a hood or goggles!

#1990 6 years ago

Here is an objective based game you can play on TAF instead of just going for points, and to sharpen your skills for hitting shots while avoiding other shots. It was explained on The Pinball Players Podcast episode 26 about 10min in, and is also posted on their FB.

Here's how to play Jake Erskine and Theresa Nessel's The Addams Family Obstacle Course
Play with 2 to 4 players and play the number of games equal to or a multiple of number of players. Rotate who goes first.
The object is to complete these goals in order. Any shots made out of order do not count.
1. Skill shot. If you hit any other switch that validates the playfield besides the skill shot, your ball is over. You must complete the skill shot to advance. Doing so scores 1 point.
2. Spell GRAVE. Score 1 point for spelling grave and 1 bonus point for doing it in order.
3. Spell GREED - Score 1 point.
4. Thing Flips - Thing doesn't have to make the shot, it just must be flipped. Score 1 point.
5. Train Wreck - Score 1 Point
6. 3-Way combo - Score 1 point. May be repeated for an additional point as victory laps
If GREED multiball is started, all progress is lost and player must start back at 1 point and begin the process again starting with spelling GRAVE.
Bonus: Tour the Mansion - Score 10 points

#1991 6 years ago

Sign me up batman. Whooo hoo. TAF imcoming. Gonna need a hell of a clean up but hey, it’s a TAF..... and it’s mine!

#1992 6 years ago

Ok got a Addams about a week ago. Needed alot of new items. One was Festers chair. But I did not notice it does not have the metal bracket that holds the chair in place. Is this available?

#1993 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Ok got a Addams about a week ago. Needed alot of new items. One was Festers chair. But I did not notice it does not have the metal bracket that holds the chair in place. Is this available?

bare bracket on Marcos:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-10593

but refer to this full assembly to see everything that needs to go on it as well:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-15258

I just re-did mine, both sockets are riveted together through the bracket.

#1994 6 years ago

I am just wondering if anyone has any insight to a couple issues I am having with my TAF. The left slingshot is only firing in ball search and in tests. At first I thought it might be the leaf switches but there are no loose wires and everything looks fine. The only thing I have not tested is if the diode on the leaf switch is working because my Multi meter skills are pathetic at best. Is it possible that the diode is causing the problem.

Second problem is the thing flips is working but when the ball gets to the flipper nothing happens? I have replaced both optos hoping that would fix my problem but still nothing. I have posted about this problem before, but I have very little multi meter experience and there are no broken/loose wires anywhere to be found. I am hoping someone else has had this problem and can advise on what they did to resolve.

#1995 6 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

The left slingshot is only firing in ball search and in tests.

In the test menu is a switch test that you can use to confirm if the sling switch and optos are working. Start there and confirm what is working and what does not appear normal.

#1996 6 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

In the test menu is a switch test that you can use to confirm if the sling switch and optos are working. Start there and confirm what is working and what does not appear normal.

Yeah the slingshot was an easy fix, the leaf switch needed a minor tweak and now it is firing! However still nothing registering at the optos by the upper left flipper for the thing flips?

#1997 6 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

Yeah the slingshot was an easy fix, the leaf switch needed a minor tweak and now it is firing! However still nothing registering at the optos by the upper left flipper for the thing flips?

Do the other optos work (bookcase)? If so, look for cracked solder joints/broken wires at the optos for Thing Flips. If none of them work, check the 12V fuse/power supply.

#1998 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Do the other optos work (bookcase)? If so, look for cracked solder joints/broken wires at the optos for Thing Flips. If none of them work, check the 12V fuse/power supply.

All other optos work and there are no obvious cracked/broken solder joints. I will check the 12v fuse/ power supply, but if that was blown wouldn't there be other issues?

#1999 6 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

All other optos work and there are no obvious cracked/broken solder joints. I will check the 12v fuse/ power supply, but if that was blown wouldn't there be other issues?

Correct, since the others work, it is not a fuse. Optos do wear out; see if you see if the transmitter opto through a cell phone camera; it should be glowing purple when viewed through a camera.

#2000 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Correct, since the others work, it is not a fuse. Optos do wear out; see if you see if the transmitter opto through a cell phone camera; it should be glowing purple when viewed through a camera.

I just replaced the opotos with brand new ones and still nothing, if I knew how to use a multi meter I would check to see if I am getting power at the optos because I sense that I am not.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,159.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Cabinet Parts
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,586 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-the-addams-family-club-tafmembers-fans-welcome/page/40?hl=ajfclark and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.