IMG_6370 (resized).JPG
IMG_6371 (resized).JPG
IMG_6365 (resized).JPG
IMG_7632 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5752 (resized).jpeg
wms_wpc_backbox_assembly.jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 5.00.20 PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,596 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 132.
#1451 6 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Can you point me in a specific direction? I need to place a bulb order soon as I ran out of a few colors for inserts.

Frosted warm retro bulbs. Comet has them. Also good practice to aquire some neutral density ND theatrical lighting gels. If any bulb is bright, cut little square over bulb. Can also take gels and cone a bulb to add direction of beam.

1 week later
#1452 6 years ago

Having a problem that if I shoot the bear kick ramp cleanly the ball will come off of the wire form every single time. I just shopped the game out and when I got the game the diverter was not working so I am not sure if it has always done this. I see no way to adjust it either. Anyone have any tips here? I have tried everything I can think of including adjusting the mounts for the wire form above the sling/swamp to putting a piece of double sided tape to act as a spacer behind the diverter plunger so that when it is at rest it is not too far into the ramp.

#1453 6 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Having a problem that if I shoot the bear kick ramp cleanly the ball will come off of the wire form every single time. I just shopped the game out and when I got the game the diverter was not working so I am not sure if it has always done this. I see no way to adjust it either. Anyone have any tips here? I have tried everything I can think of including adjusting the mounts for the wire form above the sling/swamp to putting a piece of double sided tape to act as a spacer behind the diverter plunger so that when it is at rest it is not too far into the ramp.

I would try adjusting the flap. It may be bent a little and throwing the ball off. Can you post a pic of the flap while at rest?

#1454 6 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

ball will come off of the wire form every single time

Took a while to get my JP to quit doing that. I doubled up the spring on the diverter, adjusted it further closed where a slow roller would just make it past the diverter, and turned down the flipper strength. I retrospect, I could have bent the diverter and made it more curved as well.

#1455 6 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

I would try adjusting the flap. It may be bent a little and throwing the ball off. Can you post a pic of the flap while at rest?

Sure

Quoted from Neal_W:

Took a while to get my JP to quit doing that. I doubled up the spring on the diverter, adjusted it further closed where a slow roller would just make it past the diverter, and turned down the flipper strength. I retrospect, I could have bent the diverter and made it more curved as well.

Yeah I thought something may be off with the diverter but did not want to just start bending it.

Here are the pictures https://goo.gl/photos/SN82LYuxf26ZpFJY8.

For now I put some double stick tape at the top of the ramp to hit the ball slow it down a bit. Seems to be working but would rather have it fixed correctly...

#1456 6 years ago

Checked your pictures and it looks like the flap is allowing the ball to hit the corner of the ramp and not allowing a nice flow for the ball. I would try to adjust the flap a little towards the right and see how that works.

#1457 6 years ago

Checked your pictures and it looks like the flap is allowing the ball to hit the corner of the ramp and not allowing a nice flow for the ball. I would try to adjust the flap a little towards the right and see how that works.

I can say if I move the ball slowly it will get stuck between the diverter and the ramp. I was not sure how this was supposed to flow but I know that cannot be it. It has gotten stuck once during game play even.

#1458 6 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Hey Pinside. I made replacement high power magnet boards that have fuses to protect from locked on magnets burning the PF. Check out the pinside ad, they are on ebay, or best bet, my website.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-addams-family-fused-high-power-board-a-15139
http://nvram.weebly.com
Thank you
Andrew

Just installed and I hope it works like a charm!

#1459 6 years ago
Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

I believe you have to have both balls already locked then have it land on thing. This is why you can't activate it just by hitting the switches a bunch of time. Lock up two balls and then try it.

Well, accomplished it yesterday... Not sure yet how or why it triggers... I didn't have any balls locked, but had just completed the THING lights on the speaker panel..

#1460 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Well, accomplished it yesterday... Not sure yet how or why it triggers... I didn't have any balls locked, but had just completed the THING lights on the speaker panel..

You hit the ramp twice when it was lite. You have to accomplish a mode, go through pops around clockwise than get the ramp when stars are lite, very hard, light is only on for maybe 2 seconds. Ive only done it a couple times in a 1000 plus games.

#1461 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Just installed and I hope it works like a charm!

I need to get one of these.

#1462 6 years ago

I just got this pin a couple weeks ago as my first from a fellow pinsider (thanks Mat!); and, my god, I couldn't be happier. I love getting up really early before my wife and son are up to play this.

Those callouts will last longer than any of us this thread.

#1463 6 years ago
Quoted from Ordinal:

"Who says you cant take it with you!"
Gomez

#1464 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Well, tried and tried again during game-play with the glass off and just wasn't able to replicate the "no, no, no Thing" thing... I'm starting to guess there's sthg wrong with my TAF... Does anyone know how to exactly accomplish this event?

Light all the "THING" letter in the back. To do that, shoot the left ramp with the top right flipper. Every time you hit that ramp, you'll get a letter. Complete THING, and once they are all flashing together, shoot the "mini ramp" right up the middle. You'll get "no no no" everytime. Everyone once in a while the alternate call out is "no time for that now!"

#1465 6 years ago
Quoted from Ordinal:

I just got this pin a couple weeks ago as my first from a fellow pinsider (thanks Mat!); and, my god, I couldn't be happier. I love getting up really early before my wife and son are up to play this.

Congrats! I did the same, bought it as my first pin from a pinsider and I love it as well. Unfortunately have a couple things to fix on mine, but yeah, its awesome huh?

#1466 6 years ago

Help! Has anyone had this issue?

When the game is turned on both the hand and bookcase continue to cycle back and forth non-stop.

What could cause this?

#1467 6 years ago

I sincerely hope for your sake that someone far more knowledgeable than me will chime in, but I wonder if its an opto issue?

#1468 6 years ago
Quoted from marspinball:

Help! Has anyone had this issue?
When the game is turned on both the hand and bookcase continue to cycle back and forth non-stop.
What could cause this?

Sounds like a short somewhere. You should check the switch matrix; probably the bookcase and thing switches are on the same row.

the bookcase is tracked by two physical switches underneath; the bookcase arm mechanism alternates between the two switches to know which direction to turn. I believe Thing is also tracked with a physical switch or two.

#1469 6 years ago

Go into switch edge test and make sure no switches are showing as closed that shouldn't be. Then test the switches that Rdoyle mentioned above.

#1470 6 years ago

Does anyone one have a spare thing motor and gearbox assembly they might want to sell? (part 14-7966). I can't seem to find any online except for one on ebay that doesn't ship outside of the US. The major parts dealers are either out of stock on their website, or out of stock when you ask.

#1471 6 years ago

I am looking for some help. My TAF went from working great one game and than the next game it started resetting,the DMD is all garbled up,and the sound is messed up. Sitting alone it keeps going on and off by itself. I have a Khar daughter board in my tool box so I tried that but it does nothing to help.Also before it went out the flippers got real weak. Any thoughts would be great.I have had this game for over 15 years with no problems.

Thanks in advance.

#1472 6 years ago

I am looking for some help. My TAF went from working

Unplug machine from wall, a must for this one. Now open powerbox, ie, what your on off switch is connected to. You will have to pull glass and open her up.
Inside power box ia a thermistor and a varistor. Replace both, there 25 plus years old.
Problem fixed, been there done that, exact symptoms you described.
Not to be a now it all, but if there is a pin i own that i know every square centimeter of, ots Addams.
Dont let my time on pinside judge me, ive been around the block on this craft.

#1473 6 years ago

The red wire with grey disk red wire on left side is the thermistor, the green disk is varistor. Originally i found this on pinwiki.
Marcos has both, 5 bucks for both.

IMAG0376 (resized).jpgIMAG0376 (resized).jpg

#1474 6 years ago

The grey disk wears out and wont hold power flow properly. Since your in the box, not always easy to unscrew and get out and off, might as well replace both.

#1475 6 years ago

Thank you Ericpinballfan. I will get parts and reply back when complete. Thanks again.

#1476 6 years ago

Salute to Eric! What a diagnosis!

Very well done sir!

#1477 6 years ago
Quoted from Bronty:

I sincerely hope for your sake that someone far more knowledgeable than me will chime in, but I wonder if its an opto issue?

Whats not working?
Feeling lucky today?

Quoted from jbovenzi:Salute to Eric! What a diagnosis!
Very well done sir!

Thanks man. I am pretty confidant on this one. Happened to me on a Gilligans Island first, then an Addams, then a Fish Tales. On the third time in say 2 years, I knew then the target time on this part was about 25 years. I keep several varistors and thermistors in the tool kit now. There all going to need it eventually.

#1478 6 years ago
Quoted from Bronty:

Does anyone one have a spare thing motor and gearbox assembly they might want to sell? (part 14-7966). I can't seem to find any online except for one on ebay that doesn't ship outside of the US. The major parts dealers are either out of stock on their website, or out of stock when you ask.

The thing motor rarely goes bad. Its moving right? So you dont need a motor unless its frozen or smoking. Do you smell a burn smell?
Its a switch, not opto. Has the problem gone away since last reporting?
Trick is in testing modes. Switch test and motor test, in motor test if the speakers make a ding noise when its going back and forth, its not the switch, the ding noise is the switch.

#1479 6 years ago

Welp, the latest is that the thing started making an unholy noise when operating. I immediately shut it off. Started taking stuff apart, disconnected the motor from the gearbox and hand tested whether the gears turn smoothly. In one direction they do in the other they stick. Didn't feel confident drilling out the rivets and monkeying around in the gearbox so planned on just replacing the part which pfinny was kind enough to order for me (seller wouldn't ship outside US).

#1480 6 years ago

Thank you Ericpinballfan. I will get parts and reply back when complete. Thanks again.

Awesome

#1481 6 years ago
Quoted from Bronty:

Welp, the latest is that the thing started making an unholy noise when operating. I immediately shut it off. Started taking stuff apart, disconnected the motor from the gearbox and hand tested whether the gears turn smoothly. In one direction they do in the other they stick. Didn't feel confident drilling out the rivets and monkeying around in the gearbox so planned on just replacing the part which pfinny was kind enough to order for me (seller wouldn't ship outside US).

Well there you have it Thing!
Sounds like tbe motor now based on your info. Ive been super busy this week or i would have responded sooner. I almost pm you to offer same solution on getting you a motor.
Let us know once shes back together. If you have the gold roms you can turn off thing and still play the game till ypu get it.

#1482 6 years ago

thank you! will do

#1483 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

The grey disk wears out and wont hold power flow properly. Since your in the box, not always easy to unscrew and get out and off, might as well replace both.

Got the parts today,installed and the game works like a champ. Thanks Eric that saved me a lot of headaches.

#1484 6 years ago

Got the parts today,installed and the game works like a champ. Thanks Eric that saved me a lot of headaches.

Good news. Whenever I buy a pin, its the first thing I check, these are old mechanical devices. Start from wall and work your way to boards. Easy fix with basic solder knowledge.

1 week later
#1485 6 years ago

A big thank you to pfinny for ordering a part that only shipped to the US for me. It was very kind of him to offer and helped me get the part so so much faster than I could have otherwise as it was sold out everywhere else.

I now have a functioning thing hand, it moves forward, picks up balls, retracts, the whole deal My dad and I managed to get the first boot up in ages without an error diagnostic coming up!

High fives all around. And then... the next thing started of course. Basically, the thing fuctions, it moves, it picks up balls. However, when it gets to its resting position, it drops the ball into the bottom of the cabinet every fucking time.

It seems like the power to the thing cuts off when the thing reaches rest. Or at least, that's how I interpret it. Does anyone have an idea what might cause that? I'm starting to feel like this thing will never work right again, gah!!

#1486 6 years ago

It’s supposed to drop it to the bottom of the thing cover, which then feeds the scoop on the back of the underside. Dumb question, but do you have the cover installed properly? If not, there’s nowhere for it to go but into the cabinet

Got any pictures?

Marc

#1487 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

It’s supposed to drop it to the bottom of the thing cover, which then feeds the scoop on the back of the underside. Dumb question, but do you have the cover installed properly? If not, there’s nowhere for it to go but into the cabinet
Got any pictures?
Marc

LOLOLOL thank you!! You are 100% correct. I didnt realize the cover had a function and have been testing it with the cover off. thanks!!! Hopefully this will do it I cant wait to give it a try

#1488 6 years ago
Quoted from Bronty:

LOLOLOL thank you!! You are 100% correct. I didnt realize the cover had a function and have been testing it with the cover off. thanks!!! Hopefully this will do it I cant wait to give it a try

Make sure the cover tucks into the metal lip at the rear playfield edge.

#1489 6 years ago

It works!! Thank you thank you!!

#1490 6 years ago
Quoted from Bronty:

It works!! Thank you thank you!!

Awesome!

#1491 6 years ago
Quoted from lurch:

It's not terrible, mostly because it's four screws and a wire clip and it comes right now. However the optos have to be de-soldiered to take it apart.

That's not true. You can remove the pins from the molex housing with a molex pin extractor and fish them through the bookcase. I did this and averted having to solder it!

Marc

1 week later
#1492 6 years ago

Im having a problem with my TAF, when thing picks up the ball and drops it down into the underplay field box, the ball does not roll down into the scoop section, doesn't even make it to the switch. The box does not appear to have any dents that the ball is sitting in, surface seems smoothI had the same problem with the swamp and purchased an awesome mod, that cleared up the problem right away-

http://leesparts.com/products/addams-swamp-accelerator.html

Just wondering, does anyone have any tips for aligning the box put to the scoop, adding some kind of ball accelerator, adjusting the angle of the box, etc?

#1493 6 years ago

Can you see where the ball is resting/getting caught up? If you open the cover and shine a flashlight and flexible mirror around, you should be able to see what's going on down there.

#1494 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Can you see where the ball is resting/getting caught up? If you open the cover and shine a flashlight and flexible mirror around, you should be able to see what's going on down there.

I sure can see what's going on down there- the balls are resting in the bottom of the box and not traveling into the hole that leads to the scoop/solenoid switch. What Im wondering is how I can get them to move forward.

IMG_2213 2 (resized).JPGIMG_2213 2 (resized).JPG

#1495 6 years ago

Is the box tucked into the metal flap as well as having both screws securely fastened?

#1496 6 years ago

Yea, its in the metal flap at the bottom, nice and snug. The screws at the top are also in solid.Not sure why this has just developed out of the blue, its been fine up until about a week ago and Ive had the machine for 5 years.

#1497 6 years ago

Check the playfield level.

#1498 6 years ago

Maybe a wire from the mech?

#1499 6 years ago

Long shot but magnetized balls?

#1500 6 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

Long shot but magnetized balls?

Sounds like a good guess. What balls do you guys use in your Addamses? I have been using these from Marco's but I'm not sure if there is an option that is more resistant to becoming magnetized? These are resistant but not proof according to my interpretation of the write up

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PB116-5

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet Parts
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 180.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

16,000 (OBO)
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 159.00
There are 6,596 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-the-addams-family-club-tafmembers-fans-welcome/page/30 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.