IMG_6370 (resized).JPG
IMG_6371 (resized).JPG
IMG_6365 (resized).JPG
IMG_7632 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5752 (resized).jpeg
wms_wpc_backbox_assembly.jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 5.00.20 PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,596 posts in this topic. You are on page 116 of 132.
#5751 1 year ago

Kruzman produces the nicest playfields I have ever seen. Bought a couple off of him over the years. The crate is worth the price and of admission, alone.

#5752 1 year ago

Hi

Hope I can get some help, I was so close to getting my TAF 100% working, thought we had it and now have an issue which means I can't even start a game ;-(

Previously we had one issue which shows on the test screen, this is for Opto 4 on the bookcase, has been like this for years and since the only way to get to the receiver board is a pain we have left it..

Games has worked for for many weeks, then all of a sudden 'Ball Missing', thats strange all the balls are there and accounted for, on testing the switched under the 3 balls we found that SW 16 (Center) wasn't working. We then proceeded to work our way round the other switched in that row ... suddenly loads aren't working, this makes sense and suggests a wire has fallen off somewhere.

Where I'm confused is that I would expect a sequence of switches in order to not be working, but in this case some switches in that row still work ..

SW16 - No (Center Trough)
SW26 - No (Right Outlane)
SW36 - No (Left Slingshot)
SW46 - NOT USED
SW56 - No (Bookcase Opto 4)
SW66 - Yes (Left Ramp Top)
SW76 - No (Left Flipper Lane 2)
SW86 - Yes (Grave A)

I'm clearly missing something obvious, I've looked at all the switches and cannot see any obvious loose wires, or wires that have fallen off ..Do I have multiple issues or is this something simple to diagnose ? Every other time ive had an issue like this its been obvious where the loose wire is and an easy fix ..

I do not understand why SW66 work, SW76 doesn't work and SW86 does work ?

Would love some assistance, I need to order a multi-meter obviously ..

Thanks

#5753 1 year ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Kruzman produces the nicest playfields I have ever seen. Bought a couple off of him over the years. The crate is worth the price and of admission, alone.

He sure does, the clear on my TAF is beautiful

#5754 1 year ago
Quoted from anx10us:

Where I'm confused is that I would expect a sequence of switches in order to not be working, but in this case some switches in that row still work ..

There IS a sequence, just not what you're expecting.
There's a break or disconnect in your White-Blue wire. The order of the working switches are the switches in the line BEFORE the break. The switches that aren't working are BEHIND the break.
Before/Behind is in the order of how the wire was routed. (Wires are not routed from 1 to 8 - they're routed from where the harness reaches the playfield, in order, closest to the end of the harness, to next, to next, and so on.)

#5755 1 year ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

He sure does, the clear on my TAF is beautiful

100% agree. The clear on my Kruzman TAF playfield looks so good.

#5756 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

There IS a sequence, just not what you're expecting.
There's a break or disconnect in your White-Blue wire. The order of the working switches are the switches in the line BEFORE the break. The switches that aren't working are BEHIND the break.
Before/Behind is in the order of how the wire was routed. (Wires are not routed from 1 to 8 - they're routed from where the harness reaches the playfield, in order, closest to the end of the harness, to next, to next, and so on.)

Well thats certainly helped, thanks, here is me assuming the table in the manual was how everything is wired in, I managed two trace the issue almost immediately. For those wondering check every single switch in the row (or column) whether they are working or not, turns out that the Grave A, although working actually had 2 wires disconnected, I assume I had caught them when taking the bookcase out. Quick soldering adventure and we are back up and running.

Thanks for your assistance, its always obvious once you have the answer, so to re-cap>>

Although the manual shows switches in order, they may not be attached in that order.
Check all switches the Row, do not assume a working switch isn't the culprit.
If you have been working on a specific area, then its likely the issue is near there..

#5757 1 year ago

Fantastic! Glad you found it and got it working. Having that many switches out makes the game unplayable, so the easiest you can find it and fix it, the better.

#5758 12 months ago

Have you guys noticed that sometimes on the switch matrix they put two of the white and striped wires together. For example on two of my switches I have a white and blue and a white and grey wire attached to the non banded lug of the switch. I traced them back to the column and row and think I figured out that the two grey wires are on a “not used” in the matrix. I guess my question is why bother having the wire at all. Is it because it comes off of one branch and it would not be possible to eliminate it?

#5759 12 months ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

Have you guys noticed that sometimes on the switch matrix they put two of the white and striped wires together. For example on two of my switches I have a white and blue and a white and grey wire attached to the non banded lug of the switch. I traced them back to the column and row and think I figured out that the two grey wires are on a “not used” in the matrix. I guess my question is why bother having the wire at all. Is it because it comes off of one branch and it would not be possible to eliminate it?

... Uh, no. This would cause cross-row ghost switches being read by the software. Where/what switches do you see this one? (Both, White-Blue and White-Grey have active switches on them, so there is no completely 'unused'row or column on TZ..)

#5760 12 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

... Uh, no. This would cause cross-row ghost switches being read by the software. Where/what switches do you see this one? (Both, White-Blue and White-Grey have active switches on them, so there is no completely 'unused'row or column on TZ..)

So for example the right outline switch which is on the white and blue row and red and green column had a white and grey wire soldered to it.

I also noticed the same thing with the Grave A.

The interesting on both of those columns the white and grey that corresponded to them are labeled as not used.

This game has been in pieces for a couple years and I am putting it back together so just trying to figure it out.

I thought it was kind of odd myself. The other thing I can think of I wonder if the blue stripes on that wire faded a bit.

#5761 12 months ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

So for example the right outline switch which is on the white and blue row and red and green column had a white and grey wire soldered to it.
I also noticed the same thing with the Grave A.
The interesting on both of those columns the white and grey that corresponded to them are labeled as not used.
This game has been in pieces for a couple years and I am putting it back together so just trying to figure it out.
I thought it was kind of odd myself. The other thing I can think of I wonder if the blue stripes on that wire faded a bit.

First, apologies about the Not Used comment - I completely forgot that we were talking TAF, and NOT TZ. D'oh.

It's possible that the blue they used faded, or someone loaded the wrong color in, or those are jumper wires. LTG may have some input on that. Personally, I'd follow the white/gry wire and see where it went next. That would be a clue.

#5762 12 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

First, apologies about the Not Used comment - I completely forgot that we were talking TAF, and NOT TZ. D'oh.
It's possible that the blue they used faded, or someone loaded the wrong color in, or those are jumper wires. LTG may have some input on that. Personally, I'd follow the white/gry wire and see where it went next. That would be a clue.

Quoted from Coyote:

Ha no worries it was just really strange to me. By the time I noticed it was 2 AM and I was fading fast

#5763 12 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Followed the wire it’s on the blue and white string either they used a very light banded wire or it faded over the years. Picture for reference you can see how it can be mistaken for grey

IMG_1617 (resized).jpegIMG_1617 (resized).jpeg
#5764 12 months ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

Followed the wire it’s on the blue and white string either they used a very light banded wire or it faded over the years. Picture for reference you can see how it can be mistaken for grey

You should use WHT-BLU not BLU-WHT. They are different. WHT-BLU is a white wire with a blue tracer. BLU-WHT is a blue wire with a white tracer.

That looks gray to me. Without any evidence, I bet the factory ran out of WHT-BLU and used WHT-GRY to get the machine built. 20,000 machines built in one calendar year (365 days) is ~54 per day (even working through the weekends). That's a lot to build and a lot of wire needed. Again, just a guess without evidence.

#5765 12 months ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

You should use WHT-BLU not BLU-WHT. They are different. WHT-BLU is a white wire with a blue tracer. BLU-WHT is a blue wire with a white tracer.
That looks gray to me. Without any evidence, I bet the factory ran out of WHT-BLU and used WHT-GRY to get the machine built. 20,000 machines built in one calendar year (365 days) is ~54 per day (even working through the weekends). That's a lot to build and a lot of wire needed. Again, just a guess without evidence.

That’s crazy because it’s so confusing since white-grey is used elsewhere, especially for anybody trying to repair a game. Not sure how often that would have came up in the operator world for Bally to think about it. Obviously they didn’t have restoration in mind for collectors when they did that

#5766 12 months ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

That’s crazy because it’s so confusing since white-grey is used elsewhere, especially for anybody trying to repair a game. Not sure how often that would have came up in the operator world for Bally to think about it. Obviously they didn’t have restoration in mind for collectors when they did that

These machines were built to make money. Not to last. They were expected to last maybe one to two years, possibly up to five. Definitely not 30 years and definitely not to be disassembled and reassembled (restoration).

The premise was probably "a machine delivered and making money is better than no machine not making any money". Once the machine was wired and operating correctly, the odds of a failure in the wiring was next to none. Machine delivered and making money.

Again, I have no evidence for any of this speculation. Just trying to think of reasons WHY something is the way it is,.

#5767 12 months ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

These machines were built to make money. Not to last. They were expected to last maybe one to two years, possibly up to five. Definitely not 30 years and definitely not to be disassembled and reassembled (restoration).
The premise was probably "a machine delivered and making money is better than no machine not making any money". Once the machine was wired and operating correctly, the odds of a failure in the wiring was next to none. Machine delivered and making money.
Again, I have no evidence for any of this speculation. Just trying to think of reasons WHY something is the way it is,.

Yeah pretty much much in line with what I was thinking too

#5768 12 months ago

Anybody have any opinions on the jet bumper skirts. I am pretty sure I am definitely ruling out the solid green, but can’t decide which looks the best out of the others.

IMG_1626 (resized).jpegIMG_1626 (resized).jpeg

#5769 12 months ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

Anybody have any opinions on the jet bumper skirts. I am pretty sure I am definitely ruling out the solid green, but can’t decide which looks the best out of the others.
[quoted image]

Transparent looks great but how will the material hold up ?

#5770 12 months ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

Transparent looks great but how will the material home up ?

Not a clue it’s supposed to be a hard material the transparent version. It’s going to be in joke environment if that helps

#5771 12 months ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

[quoted image]

I like the look of the transparent green. What colour caps are you thinking?

#5772 11 months ago
Quoted from Ant-H:

I like the look of the transparent green. What colour caps are you thinking?

Was thinking standard colors for TAF

#5773 11 months ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

[quoted image]

Definitely the transparent green.

#5774 11 months ago

Granted this is always going to be personal opinion and your own choice, but here is my $0.02.

I wouldn't do transparent. The playfield artwork was designed in a way that there is no artwork under the bumper skirts since it was covered up from the factory. So having transparent skirts is going to show nothing other than bare wood and holes...looks odd to me.

As far color choice, that's certainly personal preference. I personally like to stick with the factory look.

#5775 11 months ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

[quoted image]

I always match the skirt color to whatever color I am using for the top/cap color. On the Addams Family I did blue, purple, green, red and orange. I liked how it turned out.

20200414_112819 (resized).jpg20200414_112819 (resized).jpg20200414_112829 (resized).jpg20200414_112829 (resized).jpg
#5776 11 months ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

[quoted image]

Im thinking of doing all black or red on mine.

Factory color caps, 11 LED inserts.

Im swaying heavily to black as Im doing black armor and wireforms.

The bodies look perfect.

#5777 11 months ago

Some of what you guys do to your TAF’s is sacrilegious!

This isn’t a my little pony!

LOL

#5778 11 months ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Some of what you guys do to your TAF’s is sacrilegious!
LOL

Once you go black...

#5779 11 months ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Im thinking of doing all black or red on mine.
The bodies look perfect.

Black all the way! That’s exactly what I’ve done in mine

#5780 11 months ago
Quoted from Ant-H:

Black all the way! That’s exactly what I’ve done in mine

The manual says they are all red skirts, with colored caps.

I think black looks good too, on a lot of games.

#5781 11 months ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

In some cases "Rainbow Bright" !

#5782 11 months ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

In some cases "Rainbow Bright" !

It’s like fucking with a 69 Camaro!

You just don’t do that!

#5783 11 months ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

It’s like fucking with a 69 Camaro!
You just don’t do that!

I cant wait for a 69 camaro "Donkey Cart" edition...

#5784 11 months ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:Im thinking of doing all black or red on mine.
The bodies look perfect.

Thanks for the advice on the bodies can’t wait to see them lit up

#5785 11 months ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

Thanks for the advice on the bodies can’t wait to see them lit up

They are gonna be AWESOME !

#5786 11 months ago

Camaros suck. But they’re not the worst. I’m on our local Mustang club board so I have to say that. Right freddy

#5787 11 months ago

I'm working on a TAF restoration right now, and I went with Green caps and bodies with black skirts. I think it matches the theme better than the rainbow caps.

20230327_174249 (resized).jpg20230327_174249 (resized).jpg
20230427_215641 (resized).jpg20230427_215641 (resized).jpg

#5788 11 months ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

I'm working on a TAF restoration right now, and I went with Green caps and bodies with black skirts. I think it matches the theme better than the rainbow caps.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

HEP did one this way and it looked really good.

#5789 11 months ago

It has begun. Holy shit drilling out the clear to countersink the jet bumper screws was a bitch. Definitely ghosted the clear in a few spots. Thankfully a couple of the spots were able to be glued back down and the rest are hidden

IMG_1629 (resized).jpegIMG_1629 (resized).jpegIMG_1631 (resized).jpegIMG_1631 (resized).jpeg
#5790 11 months ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

It has begun. Holy shit drilling out the clear to countersink the jet bumper screws was a bitch. Definitely ghosted the clear i

Hi. Who did the playfield you’re using? Ty

#5791 11 months ago
Quoted from Santis:

Hi. Who did the playfield you’re using? Ty

It’s was a NOS Bally playfield I picked up about 5 years ago. Ron Kruzman did the clear coat on it

#5792 11 months ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

It’s was a NOS Bally playfield I picked up about 5 years ago. Ron Kruzman did the clear coat on it

NOS, how lucky!

#5793 11 months ago

Took a lot of persistence to get that damn playfield

#5794 11 months ago

FORD = Fast Only Rolling Downhill, LOL !

Quoted from dmacy:

Camaros suck. But they’re not the worst. I’m on our local Mustang club board so I have to say that. Right freddy

#5795 11 months ago

Does anyone know where to buy this exact polar bear rug figure for less than $114? TIA.
526FC3F7-48E1-4B89-969E-B311BA31F114 (resized).jpeg526FC3F7-48E1-4B89-969E-B311BA31F114 (resized).jpeg

#5796 11 months ago

"Does anyone know where to buy this exact polar bear rug figure for less than $114? TIA."

I used one from ebay. Search for "Playmobil Large Dark Brown Bear Skin Rug". I painted mine white and added black for the eyes, ears, and claws. $8

Not exact, but for 1/10th the cost, it's really damn close.

Chris

#5797 11 months ago
Quoted from crussell99:

"Does anyone know where to buy this exact polar bear rug figure for less than $114? TIA."
I used one from ebay. Search for "Playmobil Large Dark Brown Bear Skin Rug". I painted mine white and added black for the eyes, ears, and claws. $8
Chris

Awesome, thank you!

#5798 11 months ago
Quoted from crussell99:

Chris

Ha, that’s what I did too

#5799 11 months ago

Fwiw, we offer a lighted version for $40, it’s not the playmobil bear as they don’t take paint well, it’s one we make ourselves.

https://lermods.com/products/the-addams-family-pinball-illuminated-bear-rug-mod

#5800 11 months ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Fwiw, we offer a lighted version for $40, it’s not the playmobil bear as they don’t take paint well, it’s one we make ourselves.
https://lermods.com/products/the-addams-family-pinball-illuminated-bear-rug-mod

If anyone thinks this is pricey @$40 my opinion is that it is good value; It will save you hours of time messing with paint and is a very easy install (5-10 minutes) and a great product. Personally I have the eyes hooked up to the "Bear Kick" insert and they work great.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 159.00
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 1,059.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 180.00
$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

There are 6,596 posts in this topic. You are on page 116 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-the-addams-family-club-tafmembers-fans-welcome/page/116 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.