Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by gweempose
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which Bally single player games of that era could have been used to make Tommy more authentic?”

• El Toro 2 votes
    8%
  • Dixieland 4 votes
    17%
  • Hay Ride 4 votes
    17%
  • Op Pop Po 4 votes
    17%
  • Bon Voyage 3 votes
    13%
  • Happy Tour 1 vote
    4%
  • King Rex 2 votes
    8%
  • Monkey Bash 2 votes
    8%
  • Trail Drive 2 votes
    8%

(Multiple choice - 24 votes by 18 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinball[1] (resized).jpg
image-16 (resized).jpg
bakedbeans.gif
fpBLCry (resized).jpg
pinball-wizard-tommy (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shapeshifter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 6 years ago

Odin, you will be interested in the true story below then! Gottlieb was the original table king

Published on January 5, 2017

Michael Gottlieb

In the late 1960s, the management of The Who contacted my Father on behalf of Pete Townshend. He was writing a "rock opera" and he wanted approval of the lyric in "Pinball Wizard":

"I thought I was The Gottlieb table king, but I just handed my pinball crown to him."

Well my Father was a WW2 Navy veteran and child of the depression. He did not understand "long hairs", "hippies", or even rock and roll for that matter so he said absolutely not.

So the Who went to Bally and they were fine with it which is why in "Pinball Wizard" Roger Daltrey sings:

"I thought I was The Bally table king, but I just handed my pinball crown to him."

But Pete Townshend's reference to one of his favorite pinball machines was left in the "rock opera" in the song "Acid Queen".

Pete was born in 45' and Gypsy Queen was 55' so he would have been 10 or a little older when he started playing this game:

Years later, the originator of pinball machine licensing, Tommy Nieman, did a licensing deal for the 1975 film Tommy and two legendary games came out of it. "Wizard" in 1975 and "Captain Fantastic" in 1976.

This was the beginning of the golden era for Bally Pinball where they embraced licensing and had one hit after another.

Of course, The Who themselves chose Gottlieb machines for the movie "Tommy" which is why Elton John and Roger Daltrey compete on a "Kings and Queens" and "Buckaroo".

But at the end of the film "Tommy", a lot of Pinball Machines get destroyed:

Ultimately, no matter how good of an opportunity, I could have never seen it working out between D. Gottlieb & Co. and The Who.

However, it would have been entertaining to see my Father meet Keith Moon.

On second thought, much better than it never happened......

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/who-should-you-associate-your-brand-michael-gottlieb

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 65.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shapeshifter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-table-king-wtf?tu=shapeshifter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.