Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by gweempose
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which Bally single player games of that era could have been used to make Tommy more authentic?”

• El Toro 2 votes
    8%
  • Dixieland 4 votes
    17%
  • Hay Ride 4 votes
    17%
  • Op Pop Po 4 votes
    17%
  • Bon Voyage 3 votes
    13%
  • Happy Tour 1 vote
    4%
  • King Rex 2 votes
    8%
  • Monkey Bash 2 votes
    8%
  • Trail Drive 2 votes
    8%

(Multiple choice - 24 votes by 18 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinball[1] (resized).jpg
image-16 (resized).jpg
bakedbeans.gif
fpBLCry (resized).jpg
pinball-wizard-tommy (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Ever since I was a young boy I played the silver ball. And needless to say I was very excited when I found out they were making a movie rendition of the Who's classic rock opera Tommy. I was even more excited that Elton John (pinball wizard) would be squaring off against Roger Daltry (Tommy) during Pinball Wizard to determine who would be "The Bally Table King"

Much to my surprise when that scene came, these weren't Ballys at all, but two ten year old classic Gottlieb wedge heads. Tommy was playing Kings and Queens and Elton a modified Buckaroo.

Now most of us know the makers of this movie partnered with Bally to make the highly successful first licensed game Wizard! that sold over 10.000 units and the even more successful sequel Captain Fantastic, but it has never been explained to me why Ken Russell and the Who went with Gottliebs during that pivotal scene.

pinball-wizard-tommy (resized).jpgpinball-wizard-tommy (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

Breakshot's cool man. I've been thinking about bringing in another.

What we really need is MrBally to give us the lowdown on what happened with this movie.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

the licensing was done after the movie was made

Sure, but "Bally Table King" was penned in 1968 and is included in the lyrics of both versions of Pinball Wizard.

I am yet to hear any version that says "Gottlieb Table King" or even Williams or Chicago Coin Table King.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Odin, you will be interested in the true story below then! Gottlieb was the original table king

Thank you! Now I can sleep tonite!

When that movie came out they modified the Cinedome theatre in Orange, which at the time was the premier place to go see a movie with it's curved seating arrangement, by adding four huge speakers, and when we pulled up and the last show was letting out, you could hear the music blasting all the way to the street. Quite an experience. They left that sound system in there, and when Song Remains the Same came out, we saw that there too.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Well my Father was a WW2 Navy veteran and child of the depression. He did not understand "long hairs", "hippies", or even rock and roll for that matter so he said absolutely not.

image-16 (resized).jpgimage-16 (resized).jpg

#13 6 years ago

So far Monkey Bash is leading the poll with two votes.

I get this feeling we might be seeing MBR before you know it!

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Decca's lawyers asked for clearance for the "Bally table king" lyric from Bally, and Bally ignored the letter completely.
True story.

I've been pondering this for a while.

In today's world, would you rather take a chance infringing on the Bally trademark or the Gottlieb trademark, and thus go up against the license holders of each.

Might be better off going with Chicago Coin.

#17 6 years ago

I forgot to mention, you can vote for two.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 65.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-table-king-wtf?tu=o-din and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.