View topic image gallery

Switches (resized).jpg
A9E62FFB-ED70-4070-8A54-A2EDC8EEBE5C (resized).jpeg
Bally 68 Catalog switches 2 (resized).jpg
Bally 68 Catalog switches 1 (resized).jpg
FC23355E-BD5D-44CB-BFA0-562DDDD1C0C2 (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

Hello,

I’m restoring a Bally Loop the Loop and a previous owner has “repaired” the long blades on the 10 point unit; they are so mangled and heavy with solder that they bounce around.

The short contacts are serviceable but I need help to find the reference number for the longer blades please.

FC23355E-BD5D-44CB-BFA0-562DDDD1C0C2 (resized).jpegFC23355E-BD5D-44CB-BFA0-562DDDD1C0C2 (resized).jpeg
#2 3 years ago

You can buy blades and contacts. You may have to call about large contacts. http://www.pbresource.com/pfswitch.htm#common

#3 3 years ago

Thank you - problem is I’m in France and postage is ridiculously high - like 20 dollars for 50 cent piece so I’m trying to find a reference number so I can buy them here - and I don’t want to waste their time using them to supply information if I’m not buying from them.

#4 3 years ago

They're basically generic blades.

#5 3 years ago

I have dozens of spares but none of them have the correct size mounting holes or distances between them to fit the stack; I have enough shorter blades to replace those but it’s the longer blades and contacts I need. Every blade I’ve seen offered as replacement has incorrect hole gaping on the end that mounts in the stack.

#6 3 years ago

Do you mean the 10 point relay? The '68 Bally Parts Catalog suggests that the specific part numbers weren't published for those switches. Later catalogs do have part numbers for some switches but that was for games later than Loop the Loop that used "New" switch styles.
Bally 68 Catalog switches 1 (resized).jpgBally 68 Catalog switches 1 (resized).jpg
Bally 68 Catalog switches 2 (resized).jpgBally 68 Catalog switches 2 (resized).jpg
/Mark

#7 3 years ago

Yes, it’s the 10 point relay, I’ve seen a couple on eBay for a few dollars but the shipping is 40!

#8 3 years ago

What is the spacing between the holes for the switches you need? Does the older style, fiber slotted armature switch rack shown above use a different switch leaf profile than the more modern plastic slotted armature switch rack?

You might consider asking in https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-em-seeking-parts-thread. Or you might consider just swapping out the entire 10 point relay for a more recent plastic armature version.

#9 3 years ago

Are you in the US? If so, use a caliper and measure the total length of the blade, the distance from the center of the switch contact to the end of the blade, and the distance between holes. I probably have one in my stash from the guts of a Bally bingo machine someone was throwing out. If I have one that will work, I'll just drop it in an envelope and you can have it for free.

#10 3 years ago

Thank you for your kind offer - unfortunately I’m in France and need three blades as each top blade in the stack has been badly “modified”.

#11 3 years ago

They’re set more closely than any of the other machines - attaches image to give an idea, apologies for metric scale

A9E62FFB-ED70-4070-8A54-A2EDC8EEBE5C (resized).jpegA9E62FFB-ED70-4070-8A54-A2EDC8EEBE5C (resized).jpeg
#12 3 years ago

You might have to take other blades and punch the holes to mount everything yourself. Not ideal, but could be done with some simple metal working snips and a punch set. I see from your initial picture that someone might have already attempted to do something like this, but incorrectly?

Any chance you can swap in a different relay entirely? It's just 3 circuits on it correct?

Looks like you can reverse some of the hacks although the blade might not ever end up being straight like it should be.

#13 3 years ago

The closest conversion from metric to Imperial gives approximately 1 and 11/16 length x 3/16 with mounting hole centres 1/4 inch apart.

#14 3 years ago

This is the first time I’ve attempted this so my toolkit isn’t comprehensive - and finding suitable materials in rural Normandy is a challenge. I may be able to modify some longer switch blades if I can’t swap these out.

#15 3 years ago

These might work but it would probably be easier to find a complete relay locally.
Switches (resized).jpgSwitches (resized).jpg
PM me if you think you could use these. Note that they don't have high current contacts.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-switch-blade-references and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.