(Topic ID: 337758)

Bally Surfers Start up sequence looping issue

By BeachPickle

9 months ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 months ago

I'm putting this out there to see if anyone has any ideas.. I've read through a bunch of bally start up sequence threads, but nothing exactly the same.

The sequence seems to get through almost all the steps and then gets stuck in a loop after "The coin relay, through the score motor, will decrement the credit unit." step, endlessly adding to the total play count meter, and subtracting credits as the motor runs.

When I start a game (either by triggering the coin chute, start button with credits, or hitting the start relay), it does the normal start up sequence, including zeroing all the score reels, it then keeps adding to the total play count, and subtracting from the credit unit. It will indefinitely keep adding to the total play count and subtracting from the credit unit, even after the credit unit has zeroed out.

While it's stuck in the sequence, If i manually trigger the start relay, it will latch (unlatch? not sure the terminology) and stop the sequence. and then if I hit the hold relay, it will allow me to play a game normally, keeping track of balls and going into game over after the 5th ball.

My thought is that something is off with the ball count unit/ relay, but I'm really not sure. The "ball count relay" stays pulled in while the start up sequence is cycling endlessly. It stays pulled in until a ball has been drained, and then functions perfectly. not sure if that is normal?

I must have already added thousands of games to the play count trying to figure this out.

Any thoughts?

Here's the schematic:
https://www.ipdb.org/files/2466/Bally_1967_Surfers_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.jpg

#2 9 months ago

The 3 switches in the start relay (latch) circuit are:
#2 reset relay normally open switch with yellow and grey-black wires.
Ball count relay normally open switch with grey-black and brown-white wires.
Score motor switch cam 7 switch B normally open switch with brown-white and orange-black wires.
Clean and adjust switches if needed. If no luck check coil resistance.
After ball return relay kicks the ball out of the outhole, a runway or trough switch will close pulsing the ball count add coil and pull in the hold relay.

#3 9 months ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

The 3 switches in the start relay (latch) circuit are:
#2 reset relay normally open switch with yellow and grey-black wires.
Ball count relay normally open switch with grey-black and brown-white wires.
Score motor switch cam 7 switch B normally open switch with brown-white and orange-black wires.
Clean and adjust switches if needed. If no luck check coil resistance.
After ball return relay kicks the ball out of the outhole, a runway or trough switch will close pulsing the ball count add coil and pull in the hold relay.

Thank you, that’s super helpful and actually cleared up a bit of confusion I had on the schematic circuit too. I’ve already gone through two of those relays, but I’ll check them all thoroughly. Really appreciate it. I have a feeling it’s going to be that switch on the score motor.

Will report back after I check them.

#4 9 months ago

I finally got it working. It ended up being a switch that was just barely not making contact in the add-a-ball relay.

Ive unsuccessfully gone through this game so many times, trying to resolve this issue. But never really thought to spend much thought on the AAB relay. I just realized it was the culprit when I removed the AAB jones plug on a whim. (I don’t have the factory non AAB “jumper” jones to plug in when AAB not plugged in) and it stopped cycling startup , kicked a ball out, but wouldn’t start the ball count. I Cleaned and adjusted the switches in the AAB relay, plugged it back in, and it’s playing 100% now!

Super sneaky!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 39.00
$ 350.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinshakers
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-surfers-start-up-sequence-looping-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.