Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Pinbee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Please keep it simple to match my understanding of these, I'm mainly an EM guy.
After playing fine, mid session, wouldn't kick out a ball at start of game. On test, only flippers, gate, and coin solenoids fired. Good voltage on playfield at non-firing solenoids, grounding transistors activated them. Good readings on test points on SDB.
I recalled reading somewhere that the sound board could interfere with solenoids, so unplugged that, no change, but after plugging it back up, the solenoids are working. Does this mean just a bad connection? Any further diagnostics I should do? Should mention that the sound board doesn't play the correct tunes, but somewhat random in a minor key. The sound has changed from when I first got the game.
Thanks for any suggestions.

#2 5 years ago

I would repin J4 on the mpu, and reflow the solder on the header pins. Then move to the sound board and do the same. The fact that the sound board doesn't play the correct tunes indicates a problem either at the MPU where the signal leaves or the sound board where it comes in. Gotta address both connectors and headers to make sure.

#3 5 years ago

I sent the MPU out for an overhaul when I first got the game and replaced the connectors to it, so will assume the trouble is at the sound board. Not sure my soldering skills are fine enough to reflow the header pins, but could give it a try. What is a good replacement sound board?

#4 5 years ago

bad connector between mpu j4 and driver j4.

female side of mpu j4 gets wasted by batteries. male side of driver j4 gets cracked solder joints from no plated through holes (most driver board versions).

#5 5 years ago

To clarify, there are 2 types of solenoids on a Bally game. Momentary and continuous. From your description the continuous solenoids are working but the momentary are/were not.
The address lines for the momentary solenoids are shared by the sound board. There is a another line called the solenoid bank select. That line determines if the address is a sound or a momentary coil. If that line goes open or shorts you will only get sounds or coils. Sounds like that is your problem.
This is usually caused by a open solder connection or loose wire on it's pin. Follow Xenons advise above and make sure that wire is solid all the way through.

#6 5 years ago

Thanks, guys, for the info. As time permits I'll check this and report back.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-supersonic-solenoids-explain-this-fix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.