You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2bd73d99e5fec0ae174c357f2b811b6ee58b4d04 (resized).jpg
20181102_211157 (resized).jpg
20181102_195432 (resized).jpg
20181102_195418 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider guiitarman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I brought home a Bally Supersonic, my first pin, a few weeks back that would boot, but not flip or have any display. I have gotten everything working except for the displays so far. All displays have been dead since I received the game. I am a total novice at electronics, but am learning a lot as I go. I checked the test points on the display boards and I am getting correct measurements on TP1, but not getting any high voltage at all on the other TP. I checked fuse F2 and it was the only one blown so of course I replaced F2, booted her up, and in a magnificent, bright green flash I quickly blew the new F2.

The only thing I can tell visually (a novice eye of course) is that I have some corrosion on the BR3 rectifier board. (Pictures included) Would this be the probable cause of F2 blowing? What would be the best solution for a complete novice (replacing the board, sending it out for repair, etc)?

Thank you for your time and any suggestions/solutions you may have!

20181102_195418 (resized).jpg20181102_195418 (resized).jpg20181102_195432 (resized).jpg20181102_195432 (resized).jpg
#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Astill:

one of the diodes on the left of the rectifier board is most likely shorted. they are the small black things. there are four of them. put a meter on continuity and test each one. if you get continuity it is shorted.

I get continuity only on CR1. It has a little corrosion around it as well (as do many of the other solder points on the board).

What is my best course of action knowing I've never done board repair before?
20181102_211157 (resized).jpg20181102_211157 (resized).jpg

#9 5 years ago

Thanks for the help! I'm ordering some diodes today and will see what I can do. I haven't done any board work at all before so I think I will start by trying Mr.Bally's method before trying to pull the board out completely. I'll update once I can get it installed.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 45.00
$ 69.00
Electronics
Pinball Haus
Electronics
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 10.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider guiitarman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-supersonic-blowing-f2-at-startup?tu=guiitarman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.