• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20210519_160342 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Hi guys!

I am restoring a Bally Strikes and Spares Pinball Machine from 1978.
Almost all things are ok i am using a new repro MPU Lisy35.

There is a saucer top right on the playfield.
If the ball enters the saucer closes the switch the right pop bumper starts to hit like crazy and reset will happen!

I have investigated the problem in switch test:
If i push the saucer switch all the switches are activated in the last row at once (right pop bumper, saucer, rollover switch, outhole and SLAM TILT)
Becouse of the slam tilt the game is going to be restarted.

I have checked the switch diodes (not only the last row then all in the machine but they appeared to be good)
All switch seems to be ok from the test except the slam tilt and one coin switch.
No obvious short can be seen.
There are no closed switched what can cause strange behaviour.
I have tried with other MPU board the problem is the same.
For test purpose i have cut down the small switch capacitors (the ones for enhance switch sensibility) from the right pop bumper and rollover but no luck.

I am out of the idea
Please advice!

#2 2 years ago

Are there any other caps on other switches in that row? If so, try cutting them as well.

Also, try removing the connector in the back box for the switches and shorting the pins for the row and column for the saucer to see if the problem happens. If so, it is a board issue. If not, it is likely on the playfield. Keep checking for shorts to ground along that row and column.

EDIT: Sorry, didn’t notice that you said switching the board doesn’t fix it. Ignore the point about shorting the pins.

#3 2 years ago

If both boards give the same results it is more likely to be a playfield problem. Sounds a bit like this: When a column wire is shorted to ground, and any switch in that column is closed, the switch test will show ALL switches in the ROW of the closed switch as being closed. If no switches are closed, the switch test will show no switches closed. To find the location of the short, go to the end of the switch column wire on the playfield (the switches are "daisy chained" together for an entire column or row). Then break the daisy chain one switch at a time until the short no longer shows in the switch test.

#4 2 years ago

Are the diodes in the switch matrix, particularly in the problem rows/columns the correct way around?

#5 2 years ago

There should be a piece of insulating paper in the saucer switch preventing the contacts from shorting against the metal frame of the saucer. If that insulation has worn away there could be a frame short to the switch when the ball is present. Inspect the saucer switch assembly carefully to insure the ball is not causing a short. There should be no metal on metal contact with the ball.

#6 2 years ago

BigAl you are awesome!

The mistake was actualy a wrong part!
The activator of leaf switch was made from metal therfore the ball caused short in the switch matrix.
I have changed the leaf switch the left one on the picture is the right part with the plastic actuator.

Thank you for everybody !!!

IMG_20210519_160342 (resized).jpgIMG_20210519_160342 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Warren, OH
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-strikes-and-spares-switch-matrix-issue-hard-nut- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.