IMG_4703 (resized).JPEG
IMG_4702 (resized).JPEG
IMG_4701 (resized).JPEG
IMG_4699 (resized).JPEG
IMG_4700 (resized).JPEG
IMG_4698 (resized).JPEG

#1 1 year ago

Hey all,

I just bought a Bally Strikes and Spares that seemed to play fine when looking at it. However, when I got it home, it started resetting in the middle of gameplay.

It has an Alltek board that looks to be in good condition, not sure when it was installed. It shows Rev. L.3 and a ROM showing "Version 9". I've attached images of it and the other backbox boards to this thread.

It also has a few displays out and I've read that this could be due to voltage and also can cause resetting, so I've included photos of them as well if that may be something to be concerned with as well.

Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting?

Edit. I’m now also noticing that sometimes on startup it misses some of the “Call to the Post” song beats with the chimes.

IMG_4698 (resized).JPEGIMG_4698 (resized).JPEGIMG_4699 (resized).JPEGIMG_4699 (resized).JPEGIMG_4700 (resized).JPEGIMG_4700 (resized).JPEGIMG_4701 (resized).JPEGIMG_4701 (resized).JPEGIMG_4702 (resized).JPEGIMG_4702 (resized).JPEGIMG_4703 (resized).JPEGIMG_4703 (resized).JPEGIMG_4705 (resized).JPEGIMG_4705 (resized).JPEG

#2 1 year ago

Electrically the game looks pretty good.
I suspect the resetting issue may be female connectors (J4 at the MPU board or J3 at the solenoid driver board).

There's also a weighted slam tilt switch inside the front coin door and another near the left side plumb-bob. When a slam tilt switch is activated the game is designed to reboot as a punishment for abusive behavior. Check if either of these switches is gapped too closely.

Your two displays pictured have burn spots in the glass plasma. There is no fixing these other than replacing them.

#3 1 year ago

I'd check the rear of the solenoid driver board for dry joints especially the header pins (where your connectors go on to), or if unsure then reflow them.

Maybe consider a set of LED displays, these don't use the high voltage section of the solenoid driver board

For Example https://www.wolffpactech.com/6-digit-display-kits
remembering these are kits, not sure if still available but for a small fee you could buy them assembled.

#4 1 year ago

Thank you both. I haven’t had a chance to look at your suggestions yet but sounds like this is potentially an easy fix. When I’m able to look, I’ll post my results back on here. Again, thanks for the replies!

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

I'd check the rear of the solenoid driver board for dry joints especially the header pins (where your connectors go on to), or if unsure then reflow them.
Maybe consider a set of LED displays, these don't use the high voltage section of the solenoid driver board
For Example https://www.wolffpactech.com/6-digit-display-kits
remembering these are kits, not sure if still available but for a small fee you could buy them assembled.

Question on the LED kits. Do they come with everything needed? I’m happy to assemble and solder but wasn’t sure if I need anything else with them.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Question on the LED kits. Do they come with everything needed? I’m happy to assemble and solder but wasn’t sure if I need anything else with them.

I've used these before, they come with everything you need, great kit and they look fantastic

#7 1 year ago

Can you be more specific, what do you mean by resetting? Is that a complete reboot or the game starts a new game? Check the front door coin switches. If one of those gets stuck or shorted it could cause matrix issues.
Boards look good, somebody replaced the large filter caps. As Quench recommends, it would be a good idea to go over the solder connections to the board pins.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

Can you be more specific, what do you mean by resetting? Is that a complete reboot or the game starts a new game? Check the front door coin switches. If one of those gets stuck or shorted it could cause matrix issues.
Boards look good, somebody replaced the large filter caps. As Quench recommends, it would be a good idea to go over the solder connections to the board pins.

Complete reboot. As if I turned it off and back on. It tests the lights, plays the turn on chime, and is ready for a new game. Also, I use the coin switches to add credits for play. They seem to work as expected.

Also, what are the large filter caps?

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Complete reboot. As if I turned it off and back on.

A complete reboot is considered a slam. There are 2 slam switches on the game. One in the front left of the cabinet by the tilt bob and another on the front door. You'll want to be sure those are not adjusted to be too sensitive.
There's also a possible switch matrix condition. If the right coin chute were stuck closed, the spinner is turning and has a shorted diode, and the ball lands in the saucer, the game would slam. So check the all 3 coin chutes for shorts and the diode on the spinner switch to be sure.

The large filter caps are large cylinder shaped components located on the SD board. The originals were blue, I can see in the photo that the 5v cap has been replaced by a more modern black one.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 69.00
Electronics
Pinball Haus
Electronics
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-strikes-and-spares-resetting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.