(Topic ID: 269696)

Bally Strikes and Spares, Funky switch behavior

By Bodean

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

The switches all register in switch test, but four of them will not register in game play. Also, this game has two 100 point pop bumpers. If I hit one, it scores points, but the other one fires. Same if I activate the other one; it scores points but the other one fires.

I have swapped U-10 with a known good chip with no changes. Why would they register in test but not gameplay? And the opposite bumper firing is very strange. Anybody have any ideas?

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Bodean:

Why would they register in test but not gameplay? And the opposite bumper firing is very strange. Anybody have any ideas?

Could be in test you’re activating the switch with your finger and a ball doesn’t do exactly the same thing.

The bumpers are wired wrong somewhere. Pins switched at the board or wires crossed on the playfield. Double check the wire colors in the manual and make sure they are connected at the right spots.

#3 3 years ago

Replace caps on the bumper switches too. It does sound like the wires are switched.

#4 3 years ago

Ok, figured out the pop bumper problem; the pins were indeed switched. Not sure how I missed that. Anyway, Switches 12,13,14, and 31 all work in test mode, but will not work in game mode. I'm using my finger to actuate them in both test and game mode. I've tried different PIAs and 6800s with no change. This is a strange one. I've brought back quite a few Ballys and have never seen this.

If the diodes were bad, they wouldn't work at all. Hate to throw another MPU in it just for this.

#5 3 years ago

You're not by any chance running Power Play ROMs which doesn't use switches 12, 13, 14, and 31 for game play?

#6 3 years ago

Wow, Quench! You da man! It does indeed have a Power Play ROM at U2. U6 is correct. I just ASSumed the ROMs were correct. I should have known better. A friend asked me to revive this machine. Total basket case. Every board needed work.

Anyway, haven't had to order ROMs for a while. Who does it now that John Wart is out of the game?

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Bodean:

Anyway, haven't had to order ROMs for a while. Who does it now that John Wart is out of the game?

I program my own so don't know who provides this service. Hopefully someone else can comment - otherwise pretty sure you can get licensed copies on ebay.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 10.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Warren, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-strikes-and-spares-funky-switch-behavior?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.