11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by barakandl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider beauimpala.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Picked up a Strikes and Spares a couple of weeks ago. It was a non working game and was said to be blowing a fuse. Discovered a super brown chime coil. Snipped one of the wires going to that dead short of a coil and voila........the fuse stopped blowing and you can play the game. After playing for a couple of minutes I started to smell something burning. Looked under the playfield and wouldn't you know it another chime coil was locked on and starting to smolder. I let it cool down and checked the coil to see if it too was now fried. It test fine on a meter. I caught it fast enough. So I ordered a new coil from marco and transistors to replace the 2 that I thought were fried on the power driver board that were causing two chime coils to lock on. I replaced the one transistor that tested obviously short on the power driver board. But I couldn't find another bad transistor on the board. So I went to my favorite transistor/lamp assignment website at

stevekulpa.net/pinball/bally_sl.htm

Found the proper chime assignment there.
The 100 chime at Q5 was the original bad transistor. Replaced that. Discovered the extra chime at Q7 was locking on too. Transistor seems to test good though. I replaced it anyways since I was already replacing one. The new coil arrived without a diode. I pulled the diode off the bad coil and put it on the new coil going the proper direction with the band. Installed the coil and fired up the game and bang............those same 2 chime coils lock on. WTF. I pulled the power driver board. Set the meter to ohms. Check the transistors and the new ones I installed read a little lower than the other ones on the board, but I thought it would be ok. Other transistors on the board read around .6 ohms. The transistors I installed read about .4 ohms. I installed tip 42 transistors...............
I'm lost from here. Any ideas of what to check with a meter or if you think I'm overlooking something would be great.

#3 11 years ago

Pepind.................sorry. I typed the wrong thing. I did use tip 102 transistors. tip42 got into my mind somehow, but I verified. I installed a brand new tip 102 transistor.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
1,350 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Delaware, OH
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider beauimpala.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-strikes-and-spares-chime-coil-locked-on?tu=beauimpala and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.