• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sample (resized).png
s-l500 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

First of all, i apologize for asking again the same question.
I’ve asked a similar question for Mata Hari here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mata-hari-soundboard

But I am confused. Can someone guide me step by step what to do to replace the chime box with a sound board? (even non original).
what board should I buy and what connections have to make?
My plan is to get a generic aftermarket board (mp3 trigger sound board???) and connect the wires coming to chime solenoids to trigger the sounds. but I think that I have to reduce the voltage. Will that installation work? plz if anyone knows how to do it, I will greatly appreciate it

#2 3 years ago

You would wind up with three sounds. One for each of the chimes. Maybe six if pairs play together and you can decode it.

#3 3 years ago

Actually, Strikes and Spares has four chimes.

Because the chimes are driven by solenoid driver board pulling the coil output to ground, connecting a logic level sound board is quite simple, just connect the sound board ground to game ground, and connect the chime outputs to sound board inputs, leaving the +43V coil common wire disconnected. Maybe you need pullup resistors at the sound board inputs, to +5V or whatever the sound board voltage is.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from geeteoh:

You would wind up with three sounds. One for each of the chimes. Maybe six if pairs play together and you can decode it.

Can you describe me the wiring connection for that? I have lets say three chime solenoids. Each one has a (+) and a (-) wire. So how sould i connect them to an mp3 trigger?

#5 3 years ago

The (+) wires are all connected together and that goes to +43V. Do not connect that to soundboard.
The (-) wires are pulled to ground when MPU wants the chime to operate. So you should have an active-low input on the mp3 board.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

The (+) wires are all connected together and that goes to +43V. Do not connect that to soundboard.
The (-) wires are pulled to ground when MPU wants the chime to operate. So you should have an active-low input on the mp3 board.

Thank you for your reply. in this pic is that you are saying?

s-l500 (resized).jpgs-l500 (resized).jpg
#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

Dear Tuukka, I know that i am asking you too much, but is it possible to show me on this mp3 trigger board the excactly connections to go on?
Thank you for your help

sample (resized).pngsample (resized).png
#8 3 years ago

The board looks very suitable. Connect the sound board "GND" to game ground (NOT to +43V!!!). The chime wires go directly to K1-K4, no extra resistors needed. Disconnect the wires from chime, do not leave the coils connected.

For the 9-24VDC input, I recommend you use a separate small power supply for better quality.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

The board looks very suitable. Connect the sound board "GND" to game ground (NOT to +43V!!!). The chime wires go directly to K1-K4, no extra resistors needed. Disconnect the wires from chime, do not leave the coils connected.
For the 9-24VDC input, I recommend you use a separate small power supply for better quality.

and as i can understand, i leave the +43v not connected and isolated .
thank you for the great help you have given me. you saved me from a big problem!!!

#10 3 years ago

Yes the +43V is not needed. Good luck with the project!

#11 3 years ago

just quick warning to make sure to the input signal wires are disconnect the coils. 43v will feed through the low ohm coil winding and may blow up inputs on your sound card.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

just quick warning to make sure to the input signal wires are disconnect the coils. 43v will feed through the low ohm coil winding and may blow up inputs on your sound card.

yes, i will make sure that i cut off all wires going to coils, isolate the +43v and use the cutted minus wires to trigger the sounds.
Thank you again for warning me and thank you for the verification procedure....

#13 3 years ago

Cool project, let us know how it turns out!

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Cool project, let us know how it turns out!

Now I’m trying to figure out the difference between mp3 trigger and wav trigger. I want a board that is able to play two or more sounds simultaneously so i have more realistic result

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from jdrossos:

Now I’m trying to figure out the difference between mp3 trigger and wav trigger. I want a board that is able to play two or more sounds simultaneously so i have more realistic result

MP3 vs wav is just format. Should not matter.

You probably do want one that can play multiple sound calls on top of each other. I forget the terminology used.... Number of voices or channels at once or something like that description. Same thing like in keyboards, how many sounds on top of each other it can do.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 69.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-strikes-and-spares-adding-a-soundboard?hl=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.