(Topic ID: 252869)

Bally STRANGE SCIENCE restored and all its Secrets! Video!

By toddtuckey

4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by markb
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1368 (resized).JPG
IMG_1369 (resized).JPG
IMG_1370 (resized).JPG
IMG_1375 (resized).JPG

#1 4 months ago

Watch this 42 minute video and learn tons of stuff you DIDN'T know about Bally's STRANGE SCIENCE. Perhaps after you see this restoration and see how it works, YOU may want one...or at least try playing one with more details to what you need to do! Premieres tonight with LIVE CHAT with Todd at 8:30pm Eastern time. After the premiere, it will be available for regular view! Hope you can join us! Todd

#2 4 months ago

Thanks for posting this... I've got a Strange Science and the first thing I did after watching this video is go look it the sound board still had C30 (at around 7:30 in the video) and yes C30 was still there!

So that was my Sunday afternoon, take out the sound board, unsolder C30 and reinstall. I suppose you could just snip it out but I wanted it to look neat. Anyway the board back in now and everything still works.

Potentially you've saved me quite a bit of money if C30 had failed and took out the speech chip. So thanks again.

Also great work with the videos, the banter might be an acquired taste but the information shared is invaluable and your enthusiasm for all things pinball shines through in every video.

Edit: See what happened to U7 in the before and after pics. The little label fell off as I was unsoldering C30 exposing the EPROM erase window. Not sure if the 100W light bulb in the back box could have erased the memory over an extended period of time but put a small piece of electrical tape over anyway then re-glued on the label. Also noted that one of the labels was about to fall off on a MPU EPROM so did the same there just in case.

IMG_1368 (resized).JPGIMG_1369 (resized).JPGIMG_1370 (resized).JPGIMG_1375 (resized).JPG

#4 4 months ago
Quoted from woody76:

just picked one of these up

I quite enjoy playing SS, make sure the leaf switches in the 3 pop-bumpers are not too wide, so that it's not impossible to progress the voltage and thus the pace of the game, bright coloured LED's, get the topper working and you're on to a winner.

It may not the the most sophisticated game around, and the build quality is not as high on some other manufacturers of that time, but when it gets going SS is quite a fast game and a massive amount of fun.

Hope you enjoy it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 137.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 214.99
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 33.50
$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside