12 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

327302194_880753483133756_6510363719566599628_n (resized).jpg
#1 12 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm Justin and new to this forum.
I own a Strange Science machine that mostly works but has been giving me fits.

The sounds scheme is wrong- I want it to play game sounds and background sounds / tunes, and the game starts off that way, but once the ball has entered play and a sound 'event' has occurred, the BGM and additional background noises are gone! For example, when clearing out the Atom Smasher it is supposed to make a lot of noise, and it is silent! Aww mannn!! Or when the Jacob's Ladder on top is going crazy, it's supposed to go "ZZZZZAAAPPPPAAPPPPAPPPP! but it cuts out. Just the noises from the ball hitting items on the field remain present for the duration, even if I specifically enter the sound options menu and set it for 'sounds and background sounds (option 3). ARRRRGHG

Also, I seem to be unable to save the settings I choose. Like if I set the machine to Free Play, etc, I will have to completely re-do everything next time it is switched on. Another AAAARRRRGH

Anyway, love your site, and any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

#2 12 years ago
Quoted from newkillergenius:

Also, I seem to be unable to save the settings I choose. Like if I set the machine to Free Play, etc, I will have to completely re-do everything next time it is switched on. Another AAAARRRRGH

Change the batteries to keep up with settings,And about the sound issue have you tried
reseating the roms on the sound board and reseating the ribbon cable.

#3 12 years ago

Hey Mike!

Yeah, about an hour ago reseated the roms on the sound board and things seem to have improved!
As far as batteries- this MPU doesn't seem to have any batts on it....

#4 12 years ago

Sorry about that i wasnt really familiar with this Pin and there are no
AA batteries in your game but the original NiCad rechargable on the MPU
could have gone bad but it would be a good idea to replace it with AA holder and batteries.Look in your machine to locate it and make sure there aint no corrison around it they tend to leak.

#5 12 years ago

Genius, you have a dying nicad battery pack causing the settings issue and maybe the sounds issue. Bally 6803 systems do wonky things when the RAM gets corrupted and dead batteries are usually to blame for the corruption. If you look at the big driver board in the head you'll see the nicad pack soldered to the board upper right corner. Clip that sucker out as it's probably leaking already which will cause all kinds of corrosion damge to the board circuits. I usually use cordless phone nicad packs to replace them remotely mounting with foam tape or velcro to the inside of the backbox head. Any good 3 cell nicad pack from Radio Shack will work fine. We are looking for 3.6 volts. Solder the cordless packs red lead to the "+" pad on the board where you clipped out the battery and the black lead to the "-" pad. Fire up, go into the adjustments with teh keypad and reset and save all settings to your liking. Having the manual with you really helps get it to factory defaults.

Enjoy a great game! http://www.passionforpinball.com/science.htm

11 years later
#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

Genius, you have a dying nicad battery pack causing the settings issue and maybe the sounds issue. Bally 6803 systems do wonky things when the RAM gets corrupted and dead batteries are usually to blame for the corruption. If you look at the big driver board in the head you'll see the nicad pack soldered to the board upper right corner. Clip that sucker out as it's probably leaking already which will cause all kinds of corrosion damge to the board circuits. I usually use cordless phone nicad packs to replace them remotely mounting with foam tape or velcro to the inside of the backbox head. Any good 3 cell nicad pack from Radio Shack will work fine. We are looking for 3.6 volts. Solder the cordless packs red lead to the "+" pad on the board where you clipped out the battery and the black lead to the "-" pad. Fire up, go into the adjustments with teh keypad and reset and save all settings to your liking. Having the manual with you really helps get it to factory defaults.
Enjoy a great game! http://www.passionforpinball.com/science.htm

Dear Cliff, to remove the rechargeable Nickel-Cadmium cell and replace it with a common battery holder with alkaline batteries, I need to put a diode somewhere. Could you please suggest the exact point it the charging circuit? Schematics are attached. Thank you! Marco from Italy

327302194_880753483133756_6510363719566599628_n (resized).jpg327302194_880753483133756_6510363719566599628_n (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-strange-science-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.