• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Cheddar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capt Fantastic Game Over relay (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cheddar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I am getting 2 issues (among others in another topic):
1. The lock relay buzzes and blows the 10A fuse.
I have a breaker in it but here's the weird part. If I turn the machine on the lock cool pulls in no problem. When I start a game it get's through the score reels resets, ball count reset, and bonus reset and then the lock pulls in buzzes loudly and the breaker trips.

2. Bypassed lock relay (always closed)
In this scenario the cycle finishes and the game over trip energizes and ends the game.

I'm getting better at troubleshooting ems but this one has me stumped.

Thanks

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

How do you know it's the Lock relay that's blowing the fuse? The Lock relay works fine when you power on. Will it eventually blow the fuse on its own without starting a game?
When you start a game other coils start drawing power. It may be that something is drawing more than it should, which starves the other coils and makes the Lock relay pull in weaker than before. That might be why it starts buzzing.

How did you bypass the lock relay? Did you wedge it mechanically somehow?
There's not a lot going on with the Game Over Trip relay:
[quoted image]
If you're in 3 ball mode, try 5 ball mode to see if it works better. Otherwise, block the two switches in red boxes with folded paper to see if that helps. If so, remove one piece of paper at a time to figure out which switch is the problem.
/Mark

Thanks for this advice, I will look at these today. Someone on FB advised I look very closely at the playfield for solder splashes or bent tabs causing a short. Based upon the place in the startup sequence that this occurs that seems likely.

Thanks again

2 weeks later
#4 5 years ago

This has been fixed. Multiple shorts and a bad BR were the culprit. The 10A coil fuse was blowing and this prevented the latch coil from releasing. The lock coil was buzzing due to the current being diverted to ground.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Wanted
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cheddar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-straight-to-game-over-or-fuse-trip?tu=Cheddar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.