IMG_7324 (resized).JPG
IMG_7326 (resized).JPG
IMG_5989 (resized).jpeg
new display (resized).jpg
stuff (resized).jpg
clock (resized).JPG
20230308_233618 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221115_191641_374 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

1. Look at the credit match display - if the right hand side digit is non blank or non-zero - then we are in a game. Otherwise we are in attract mode. (Ignoring self test mode - for time being).
2. On startup, wait for the first non blank, non-zero score to be displayed - that is the HSTD - remember it, and it it starts being displayed on P1-P4 score displays, then we are in attract mode. Need to keep track of any game score that exceeds to HSTD and then use that in future.

Normally I would say (1) would work great, but some games now are using this display to display spinner counters or other information. Also, that display isn't consistent across all games, sometimes it's shifted IIRC.

(2) would work great for non-stern mpu200 games that display the hstd at the start of the last ball.

Can you tap into other signals like the ball in play lamp or strictly the display signals? You could have a sense wire to the ball in play lamp, when it's lit, you're in a game (unless you're in lamp test)

Or the game over lamp of course.

#52 1 year ago

I've checked all my bally games and nothing seems to use the ball counter digit when a game is in progress, i.e. they all show 1,2,3,4,5 etc for the ball in play</blockquote

There are some rom mods that use it both original board and Arduino add ins.

1 week later
#82 1 year ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

Another really annoying thing I have noticed is that when it does flash a players score, I would have hoped that it starts blanking on digit 7, but it appears it can start the blanking on any digit at random

This is a downside of having two interrupts.... The score blinking timer is in the zero cross so isn't going to sync with the display interrupt.

1 month later
#205 1 year ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

I may need to change the firmware to handle stern games, I'm committed to do it, but will need someone with a stern game to test for me please.

If you can handle different display refresh frequencies you should be fine. I'd assume you're triggering off what the actual displays do (the blanking/strobe/data lines).

1 week later
#228 1 year ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

it appears the stern game code puts out less data than the bally game code for the CMBIP display.

That's odd, I know they set up/send the data in a different way (especially on mpu200 games) but wouldn't it/shouldn't it be a hardware thing since you can only activate displays via the bcd data and the strobe?

Incidentally, it would be interesting if you had your decoder be able to take actual alpha characters as well, as BSOS could be modified to send ascii instead of bcd (as I'm sure mpu200 games could be modified as well for the same reason). This would also open up being able to make a display panel for system 11 games like Rolpa is working on: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wip-project-drop-in-animated-color-display-for-williams-an-games#post-6930828

BSOS is coming for system 11:

#230 1 year ago

I've run into that 3 line bcd control scheme before although it was for a different reason.... prototyped some software for it but it never went into production so I'm not sure it even ever worked.

When you say flashing you mean blinking the display? Although the capability is in the software for mpu200 to have the 'player5' (credit) display blink, I don't think they ever did it intentionally. The player score display blinking when the score timeout timer is idle. Every score resets it to #$FF and when it hits zero it runs a flip mask routine for the currently up player, along with setting another timer (much shorter I forget the period) to flip it back. They just OR the mask in with the bcd digit in the display interrupt. The actual timers and display mask update are done in the zero cross.

#232 1 year ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

yes. blinking the display.
regarding the bcd coded digit display. it works. i built some led score displays using it, so i could free up a wire to use as a 7th digit. this was so i had 7 digit scoring on the older six digit games.

yep, kind of nicer vs. the 2:3 decoder scheme Oliver came up with way back when (although that is now built into weebly boards)

#239 1 year ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

I noticed that the U11 PIA is connected to the Display Interrupt Circuit.

Wiring/triggering is the same as Bally or the software wouldn't be cross compatible. I think if you're duplicating what the decoder chip on the display is doing it should be able to grab the info.

How long are you waiting before grabbing the digit info? Propagation delay should be really low here; when I was fooling around with making a wav trigger type sound board 12-13 years ago, I had a really hard time getting an arduino to grab the byte correctly and ended up using the same logic latches the sb-100 sound board used, and reading the data off the latch instead of the data bus directly.

I guess you are doing similar, populating the shift register directly and reading it from the microcontroller? I wonder if the shift register's logic threshold is affecting this if dothedoo 's levels happen to be too low to indicate logical 1? (I forget exactly the details, but don't different parts cmos vs. ttl have differing logic levels?)

1 week later
#247 1 year ago

Some of the games use the other digits (orbitor 1, dragonfist, possibly a couple others)

1 week later
#266 1 year ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

I am not familiar with "Olivers method" - what is it?

http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_d7.html

1 week later
#284 1 year ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

I could perhaps add that feature. i guess it’s only going to apply to first 4/5 digits as a score shows “00” min

I assumed he meant non-playing players' displays which are completely blank on some titles on non 4 player games.

That 00 sitting there on those early games when they aren't playing drove me crazy! Especially since the Bally OS had it built in to do it either way... show the 00 for non playing players, or don't.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 7.50
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

£ 195.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-stern-ss-s-introducing-colourclassic-score-displays?tu=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.