IMG_7324 (resized).JPG
IMG_7326 (resized).JPG
IMG_5989 (resized).jpeg
new display (resized).jpg
stuff (resized).jpg
clock (resized).JPG
20230308_233618 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221115_191641_374 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pete_d.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

There is wifi communication between the 5 separate score displays

Ugh. I hope that can be turned off. Should've been wired, but at the very least, it should be possible to opt out of cluttering up the radio environment with more wifi signals. It can be hard enough to get devices that actually need wifi to find some spare spectrum, without other stuff that could've easily been hard-wired using it up.

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

They don't even create a real wi-fi network. 4 of the units just listen for messages, the "Sender" unit will only broadcast a message if the font changes

Thanks for the clarification. That does sound better, though it's also still good it can be turned off completely.

FWIW, I probably would've gone with a BLE implementation for something like that. Well, personally I would've included a wired option; anyone installing these, hooking up a few more cables with JST connectors isn't going to be a hardship at all. But for a purely wireless solution, BLE would be more appropriate and less worrisome to people before they get the full scoop on what you actually did (as you can see, just mentioning "wifi" sets off alarm bells for some people ).

#47 1 year ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

I’m happy to have a look at these, I need to grab some arduino/esp32s code that displays those file formats to a tft display.

I'm not entirely sure what the other suggestion was getting at. PNG and GIF are both compressed as well. They are just "non-lossy" formats, whereas JPEG is "lossy". With PNG and GIF you get exactly the same pixels back after compressing and decompressing, while JPEG will invariably involve subtle differences (but typically not noticeable to the human eye). With any of those formats, there will be a decompression step.

What kind of profiling tools are available for software dev on this platform? I've barely used Arduino myself, and don't have any experience with the ESP32 stuff. But if this were a regular PC platform, I would be using a debugger with a profiler to track down what's actually taking time.

That said, given that the rendered numerals work fine (if I understood your notes correctly), that suggests that the issue is either I/O from the SD card, which can vary considerably depending on what kind of media controller you're using, or compression. It seems you've determine it's the latter; hopefully it's by some means you consider reliable.

What is the RAM budget for the project? Is there even any separate RAM? I looked at what I think are the specs for the ESP32 kit you're using, and all I see are specs for flash RAM and 520 KiB of SRAM. And I don't see a separate RAM component on your materials list. Can you increase it considerably while keeping the whole project cost within your goals? Because it seems to me that if the rendered fonts are fine, the most obvious approach would be to just cache the uncompressed images in RAM.

#53 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

It depends on what is slowing the 'decompressing' - what's taking the time, actually reading the files off memory/sd?

Hence my note about using a profiler to gather actual data on the problem, instead of just making assumptions.

It's true that GIF can be smaller, assuming the image is well-suited for that format (i.e. no more than 256 colors). And if I/O is the bottleneck, then that could help. But there are assumptions built into that suggestion that if they happen not to hold, mean that GIF isn't going to be better than another format.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 959.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
Machine - For Sale
Sewickley, PA
$ 959.00
$ 44.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Li, NY
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ali
Poolville, TX
$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pete_d.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-stern-ss-s-introducing-colourclassic-score-displays?tu=pete_d and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.