IMG_7324 (resized).JPG
IMG_7326 (resized).JPG
IMG_5989 (resized).jpeg
new display (resized).jpg
stuff (resized).jpg
clock (resized).JPG
20230308_233618 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221115_191641_374 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dothedoo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 1 year ago

Genius!
Look at my collection and tell me I couldn't use a few.

6 months later
#96 1 year ago

I’m in for a 7-digit kit.

#98 1 year ago

PM sent!

1 week later
#112 1 year ago

I’ll test the displays in Xenon. Besides Medusa, which you already tested, that’s the only Bally I currently have set up.

I have three classic Sterns set up that I will test: Star Gazer, Quicksilver and Freefall.

I should have flyers for the entire classic Stern lineup, and I’m building a WinXP computer so I can try my HP 4760 scanner for additional art. Some of the Stern flyers aren’t as nice as the Bally flyers were.

1 week later
#130 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

This is my first big solder project with PCBs. Previous was just reflowing pins and replacing transistors.
What solder iron tip size is best, solder type/gauge, and temperature for the iron is best for building these?

I have best luck using a screwdriver tip, just a bit wider than a pencil tip. Somewhere between 600-700 degrees is probably best.

#142 1 year ago

Received the kits yesterday. The package was beat up pretty badly, but it doesn’t look like anything was damaged.

05BAA25A-0488-45CB-89C2-357169E68797 (resized).jpeg05BAA25A-0488-45CB-89C2-357169E68797 (resized).jpegFFF1327A-7AE1-40EB-BB92-698CB9B10712 (resized).jpegFFF1327A-7AE1-40EB-BB92-698CB9B10712 (resized).jpeg
#165 1 year ago
Quoted from geeteoh:

The ramps (and offset) on my 20-pin machine harness housings to each display is backward from instructions. Verify yours before soldering them or go with non-locking headers as I did (on my next 4 displays). I have a KISS machine.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Good call. I don’t like locking ramps on connectors larger than 10 or 12 pins anyway. I’ll do what you did and save the locking headers for Williams boards.

#209 1 year ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

I can do that - BUT: We've not tested in any stern games yet (I don't have any anymore)- should work, but until someone tries.........
I may need to change the firmware to handle stern games, I'm committed to do it, but will need someone with a stern game to test for me please.

I’m currently building my first display and will test it in Quicksilver, Star Gazer and Freefall.

#214 1 year ago

I like this feature. I thought I would have to delete the fonts off the SD card that I didn't want to use.

Quick update on 1st display build: I didn't have much time to work on it today, but I was able to finish it and test it in Star Gazer. I forgot to short header pins 11 and 12 so no millions digit, but the splash screens worked correctly, scoring worked correctly and the HSTD before 3rd ball worked correctly. I'll give another update once I've corrected the millions digit and tested it in the other two games.

#216 1 year ago

How does the system know what fonts are on the SD card? If I add a custom font, does it get cataloged such that if I delete it later it causes problems?

Update: Built two more displays today. The pin 11-12 short works as expected for the millions digit on classic Stern, so that's fixed. I had a problem with one of the FPC socket locks. I was trying to pop it open to install the display cable and it broke off. Fortunately, I was able to install the cable and lock it with the broken piece, but just wanted people to know these are delicate and care should be taken when unlocking them.

#220 1 year ago

I finished assembling the displays and tested them in Star Gazer, Quicksilver and Xenon.

The 7-digit displays work perfectly. The credit/match display works perfectly in Xenon, but not in the classic Sterns. In the Sterns, the splash screen would come up, but would not clear, no matter if the display was set for 6-digits, 7-digits or credit/match.

I haven't tried the new firmware yet, I'm still using the original SD card content as shipped.

#222 1 year ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

Ok, if you can upgrade the CMBIP display to the latest firmware please. V4.15a. We made a change to support BSOS o/s which possibly will also help with the way the stern game code works.

Upgraded the firmware, but unfortunately, no change to the credit/match behavior.

#225 1 year ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

if you start a game does it do anything?
What would it normally display - no of credits? and maybe a zero for ball in play?
I have a software utility which will grab the score data coming to the display and saves it to sd card, if you could please install and run that. it’s called grabber, under the software/utilities folder on the shared drive. read me file gives instructions. it will create a file called logfile.txt on the sd card. if you can email that to me please.

Ran the grabber utility and sent you the logfile.

#235 1 year ago

Glad you have a test bench for Sterns now.

Now.... I have some good news and some bad news.

The good news is I tested the firmware update in Star Gazer and it worked perfectly. There is a slight delay between the splash screens clearing on the score displays and the CMBIP, but after that everything works normally.

The bad news is the new firmware doesn't work in Quicksilver and Freefall. They both exhibit the same behavior -- none of the splash screens clear. With the previous firmware the score displays clear and work properly. I'll run grabber and send you logfiles.

#241 1 year ago

False alarm everyone. I was a dumbass and forgot leaving original displays in the game causes them to malfunction. I unplugged the remaining displays and the color displays work perfectly in both Quicksilver and Freefall.

1 week later
#253 1 year ago

The setting button broke on one of my ESP32 boards. I ordered some buttons hoping it won't be too difficult to replace. Also ordered a spare board based on the name stamped on the metal housing. Hopefully, I ordered the right one.

1 week later
#261 1 year ago
Quoted from sscharf:

I am interested in the fully-built solution. I have a Space Invaders, which is a 6-digit game, I would love to have one more digit. I have third party boards of some sort. Will this add a seventh digit?
Added: See avatar <<<<<<<<

Unfortunately, no. However, I've also thought about using 7-digit displays in a 6-digit game. Maybe Alan could code an option to fill blank digits with an image (like the splash screens). You could choose to have each blank digit be a different image or all the same. Or you could have all digits be blank except for the 7th.

My friend is in the process of restoring a Dolly Parton, which is a 6-digit game. I thought it would be cool to use the 7-digit displays and have the 7th digit be a picture of her face.

1 week later
#280 1 year ago

Alan, have you thought about creating an option to display an image on blank digits?

#288 1 year ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

aha yes i misunderstood. yes i’ve got that on the enhancement list. to show the splash screen

Actually, you understood me correctly - add a feature that allows you to put an image in place of blank digits. But both features would be good.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 44.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 169.00
Machine - For Sale
Huntington Beach, CA
$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 400.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grandview, MO
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dothedoo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-stern-ss-s-introducing-colourclassic-score-displays?tu=dothedoo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.