IMG_7324 (resized).JPG
IMG_7326 (resized).JPG
IMG_5989 (resized).jpeg
new display (resized).jpg
stuff (resized).jpg
clock (resized).JPG
20230308_233618 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221115_191641_374 (resized).jpg
There are 323 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
#301 1 year ago
Quoted from SLK_Groups:

much deleted info....

sorry for this late start, but i recently saw your post in a FB group that i can no longer find... i am very interested in the design side fo things... would love to get more info on the tech side of there ... thanx, keith

What do you need to know?

#302 1 year ago

Hey folks,

the spin off project - Colour Classic Clock has been a big sucess here in UK, I now have a few kits left, which I am offering here on pinside in my shop:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1464-retro-electro-designs/08177-colour-classic-clock

Also a kit that includes a brilliant acrylic case made by one of my pinball buddies (Colywobbles) here in UK:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1464-retro-electro-designs/08178-colour-classic-clock-kit-with-acrylic-case

Quick video of prototype here:

The case build video is here:

(From my friend Colywobbles).

1 week later
#303 1 year ago

Offer price with a £10 reduction on kits for a limited time period. See the shop. Select the discounted item.

#304 1 year ago

UPDATE:

I've updated the information on github. It is pretty self-explanatory, but feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

https://github.com/KenH2000/Bally-Pinball-Clock

A few years ago I built a pinball clock (discussed above) using an Atmega328.

Basic parts needed:

* Atmega328 IC (aka Arduino)
* RTC module (clock keeps time when not powered on)
* Nixie Tube power supply (optional, supports original plasma displays)
* Small stripboard
* 20 pin .156 female J1 connector and female pins
* 7805 Voltage regulator
* 2 momentary push buttons
* 2 LEDs
* 2 220 Ohm resistors
* 1 10k Ohm resistor
* 2 10 uF capacitors
* 2 22 pF capacitors
* 16 MHz clock crystal
* DC power jack
* 12V/1A plug-in power supply
* misc electronics -- wire/headers/solder

You plug the board into a Bally 6-digit display, and it shows the time.

I'll post the build details on my github page (give me a few days to get the documentation written).

If someone wants an affordable, fun DIY project, you can build the whole thing for about $25.

https://github.com/KenH2000?tab=repositories
clock (resized).JPGclock (resized).JPGstuff (resized).jpgstuff (resized).jpg

#305 1 year ago
Quoted from KenH:

A few years ago I built a pinball clock (discussed above) using an Atmega328.
Basic parts needed:
* Atmega328 IC (aka Arduino)
* RTC module (clock keeps time when not powered on)
* Nixie Tube power supply (optional, supports original plasma displays)
* Small stripboard
* 20 pin .156 female J1 connector and female pins
* 7805 Voltage regulator
* 2 momentary push buttons
* 2 LEDs
* 2 220 Ohm resistors
* 1 10k Ohm resistor
* 2 10 uF capacitors
* 2 22 pF capacitors
* 16 MHz clock crystal
* DC power jack
* 12V/1A plug-in power supply
* misc electronics -- wire/headers/solder
You plug the board into a Bally 6-digit display, and it shows the time.
I'll post the build details on my github page (give me a few days to get the documentation written).
If someone wants an affordable, fun DIY project, you can build the whole thing for about $25.
https://github.com/KenH2000?tab=repositories[quoted image][quoted image]

Very cool project, I look forward to whatever extra details you publish.

#306 1 year ago

Just wondering if there was any reason you didn't use a socket for the SD card board?
Just thinking about if one should fail.
I have the same board on my retro chip tester and that sits just in a socket so it can be removed if needed.

#307 1 year ago

Finally have found some time to make my displays.
Bought myself 4 micro SD cards today, been to the hardware and got my double sided tape.
I'm cautious so I tested the 5 SD card readers in my retro chip tester so I know they are all good before I solder them in.
The alignment tool is 3D printing now and if all goes well by the end of tonight I will have 5 new displays to fit to my machine.

My wife comes back from the UK on Monday after being away for 7 weeks and when she left I had a tatty non-functioning Star trek pinball machine and hopefully by Monday night it will be all singing and dancing with it's new Geettoh sound card and these new colour classic score displays. (Probably shouldn't tell her how much I spent doing this though)

#308 1 year ago
Quoted from tmuir:

Finally have found some time to make my displays.
Bought myself 4 micro SD cards today, been to the hardware and got my double sided tape.
I'm cautious so I tested the 5 SD card readers in my retro chip tester so I know they are all good before I solder them in.
The alignment tool is 3D printing now and if all goes well by the end of tonight I will have 5 new displays to fit to my machine.
My wife comes back from the UK on Monday after being away for 7 weeks and when she left I had a tatty non-functioning Star trek pinball machine and hopefully by Monday night it will be all singing and dancing with it's new Geettoh sound card and these new colour classic score displays. (Probably should tell her how much I spent doing this though)

Probably...no.
Take her out to dinner instead.

#309 1 year ago

First display made and test fitted to the machine. The displays are only taped in place at the moment.
I think I will get some foam weather strip and put it around the edge of the display as it sits further back than the original displays and that will stop the light leaks if you are standing on the side of the pinball and looking at the displays.
Don't ask why the match says 71, that's another glitch I haven't got to yet. I haven't decided if I will keep the ball count and credit display as a VFD or replace it yet, although I did buy a new display for it so I can replace it when the original one dies.

new display (resized).jpgnew display (resized).jpg
#310 1 year ago
Quoted from tmuir:

First display made and test fitted to the machine. The displays are only taped in place at the moment.
I think I will get some foam weather strip and put it around the edge of the display as it sits further back than the original displays and that will stop the light leaks if you are standing on the side of the pinball and looking at the displays.
Don't ask why the match says 71, that's another glitch I haven't got to yet. I haven't decided if I will keep the ball count and credit display as a VFD or replace it yet, although I did buy a new display for it so I can replace it when the original one dies.
[quoted image]

Why hijack Alan's thread when you could start your own? He's trying to sell a product, and if you want to compete, maybe start another thread?
Seems kind of back handed to show off your build on another guys bread and butter idea

#311 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBigg:

Why hijack Alan's thread when you could start your own? He's trying to sell a product, and if you want to compete, maybe start another thread?
Seems kind of back handed to show off your build on another guys bread and butter idea

Huh?

This is one of Alan's kits I was simply showing off that I was happy with that.
I can only assume you misread my post and thought I was showing off something I had built myself from scratch, not one of Alan's kits.
If anything I am advertising I'm happy with his product.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#312 1 year ago
Quoted from tmuir:

Huh?
This is one of Alan's kits I was simply showing off that I was happy with that.
I can only assume you misread my post and thought I was showing off something I had built myself from scratch, not one of Alan's kits.
If anything I am advertising I'm happy with his product.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, apologies

#313 1 year ago
Quoted from tmuir:

First display made and test fitted to the machine.

It looks really good with what I'm assuming is the stock plasma credit/match display.

EDIT: Never mind. I see that you said it was the stock credit/match display. Still -- looks really good with it

#314 1 year ago

Hey folks, life just got whole lot easier!!!!

I have had some of the base controller boards fully made up, with all the components and headers pre-soldered in the factory! :

IMG_5989 (resized).jpegIMG_5989 (resized).jpeg

This makes the self-build very easy now - just the display board to construct, and literally plug it into the controller board.

The only slight "downside" is the use of SMD rather than though-hole components. I still have some of the through hole boards, so can supply either type of kit, if that's an issue for you.

#315 1 year ago

I like the headers for the SD module, I wanted to do that on mine, but my local electronics shop didn't have any.
Just installed the forth display into my machine, just one more to build.
Keep up the great work.

#316 12 months ago

To celebrate the Forthcoming coronation of King Charles III here in UK, Use this coupon code for 10% discount on Score display kits and fully built.
Valid until End of May 2023

18JA-9G69-Q4EG-DZVN

3 months later
#317 8 months ago

Last set of kits now in my pinside shop:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1464-retro-electro-designs

Once these are gone, that's it folks! Get em whilst you can!

2 months later
#318 6 months ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

Last set of kits now in my pinside shop:
Once these are gone, that's it folks! Get em whilst you can!

Alan, these displays are awesome! Very well done!!

1 week later
#319 5 months ago

6X8 Switch matrix simulator board now available :
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1464-retro-electro-designs/09702-bally-stern-ss-switch-matrix-tester-board

IMG_7324 (resized).JPGIMG_7324 (resized).JPGIMG_7325 (resized).JPGIMG_7325 (resized).JPGIMG_7326 (resized).JPGIMG_7326 (resized).JPG
1 month later
#320 4 months ago

For anyone, wanting cheaper, single colour LED 7-segmeent replacements, instead of the full colour - I now have red, amber and blue in my pinside shop.

2 weeks later
#321 3 months ago

Happy New Year Folks. Discounted prices in my pinside shop on these displays for the New Year.

#322 3 months ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

Happy New Year Folks. Discounted prices in my pinside shop on these displays for the New Year.

I'm starting a retheme of a supersonic, to a supersonic 2.0, so I'll be in touch soon. I want it to be super stellar!

1 month later
#323 57 days ago

Last year I converted the design of the Color Classic Score display into a clock. It worked well, but the 7 separate screens probably wasn't the best idea for displaying images!

So......... I created a new version:
IMG_7982 (resized).JPGIMG_7982 (resized).JPG
IMG_7988 (resized).JPGIMG_7988 (resized).JPG
IMG_6173 (resized).JPEGIMG_6173 (resized).JPEG

more details here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1464-retro-electro-designs/10424-compact-pinball-art-clock

IMG_6175 (resized).JPEGIMG_6175 (resized).JPEGIMG_6179 (resized).JPEGIMG_6179 (resized).JPEGIMG_7983 (resized).JPGIMG_7983 (resized).JPGIMG_7984 (resized).JPGIMG_7984 (resized).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 99.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 7.50
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 959.00
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 139.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 400.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tempe, AZ
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 323 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-stern-ss-s-introducing-colourclassic-score-displays/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.