2c (resized).jpg
1c (resized).jpg
0c (resized).jpg
DSC08207 (resized).JPG
08708924-4C11-42CF-83BE-0AC72899B2F7 (resized).jpeg
D987C4C1-E7CD-4E7B-845F-582B0F02D38A (resized).jpeg
D3E5FACA-482E-4EC1-849D-906D62BA5362 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2599 (resized).jpeg

There are 226 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 6 days ago

Here are samples of fonts and splash screens we currently have:

demo set 1 (resized).jpgdemo set 2 (resized).jpgdemo set 3 (resized).jpgdemo set 4 (resized).jpgdemo set 5 (resized).jpg
#202 6 days ago

If anyone wants to make cheetah and Big Game splash screens I’ll love you forever and like you for always.

#203 6 days ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

If anyone wants to make cheetah and Big Game splash screens I’ll love you forever and like you for always.

I can do that - BUT: We've not tested in any stern games yet (I don't have any anymore)- should work, but until someone tries.........

I may need to change the firmware to handle stern games, I'm committed to do it, but will need someone with a stern game to test for me please.

#204 6 days ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

I can do that - BUT: We've not tested in any stern games yet (I don't have any anymore)- should work, but until someone tries.........
I may need to change the firmware to handle stern games, I'm committed to do it, but will need someone with a stern game to test for me please.

That’s what I bought these for. So I’ll report back when I have a chance to build them.

#205 6 days ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

If you can handle different display refresh frequencies you should be fine. I'd assume you're triggering off what the actual displays do (the blanking/strobe/data lines).

#206 6 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

If you can handle different display refresh frequencies you should be fine. I'd assume you're triggering off what the actual displays do (the blanking/strobe/data lines).

Yes, picking up the BCD data when the latch triggers then the Digit when the Blanking drops. Std stuff, should be fine. I'm just being totally cautious.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

That’s what I bought these for. So I’ll report back when I have a chance to build them.

Thanks, pretty sure they will work, but as I haven't been able to test in a stern game, I'm being cautious.

#207 6 days ago

Word. I’m crazy busy at work for the next few months but hope to have time to build these in the next month or so.

#208 6 days ago
Quoted from Drewscruis:

Yes, I'm really looking forward to getting these in every early bally machine I own. These are exactly the displays I was looking for my collection. I really think it's what's the early machines have been missing all along to really customize them while not having to physically change the machine.

This is where I am. I am hopeful that Alan will be selling these for ages to come, as I think I want them in every Bally I do and will own!

#209 6 days ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

I’m currently building my first display and will test it in Quicksilver, Star Gazer and Freefall.

#210 6 days ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I’m currently building my first display and will test it in Quicksilver, Star Gazer and Freefall.

Let us know how it goes. message me if you have any issues.

#211 6 days ago
Quoted from RandyW:

This is where I am. I am hopeful that Alan will be selling these for ages to come, as I think I want them in every Bally I do and will own!

Hey i’m here for the long run.

#212 6 days ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

Hey i’m here for the long run.

That is what I like to hear! I know the sets I am ordering from your next batch, won't be my last ones. I have several Bally collectors as clients, whom I think will want sets as well.

#213 5 days ago

Started work on the next new feature:
“List cycle” mode

This allows you to create a list of the fonts you want the display to cycle around at a given time interval.

For example you could list fonts 12,5,23,60,19,18,0 and a 30 second interval. the display will switch through each font every 30s, starting at 12, then 5 then 23 and so on. once it reaches font 0 it will then go back to font 12 and repeat the list.

This feature will allow you choose only those fonts that you feel are the best for the game. eg fireball II you’d probably choose a list of red coloured fonts. Whereas on Elektra maybe chose white and blue coloured fonts.

I’m hoping this feature will be more useful than the current cycle options. (these will remain btw)

I could maybe also do a “Random List” too, which (no surprise) would choose one of the list fonts at random each time interval.

#214 5 days ago

I like this feature. I thought I would have to delete the fonts off the SD card that I didn't want to use.

Quick update on 1st display build: I didn't have much time to work on it today, but I was able to finish it and test it in Star Gazer. I forgot to short header pins 11 and 12 so no millions digit, but the splash screens worked correctly, scoring worked correctly and the HSTD before 3rd ball worked correctly. I'll give another update once I've corrected the millions digit and tested it in the other two games.

#215 4 days ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I like this feature. I thought I would have to delete the fonts off the SD card that I didn't want to use.
Quick update on 1st display build: I didn't have much time to work on it today, but I was able to finish it and test it in Star Gazer. I forgot to short header pins 11 and 12 so no millions digit, but the splash screens worked correctly, scoring worked correctly and the HSTD before 3rd ball worked correctly. I'll give another update once I've corrected the millions digit and tested it in the other two games.

Good news. thank you.

Hang on for the new List feature. (i’m doing the “list random” too)

Also. don’t remove fonts off the SD if you’re using the cycle all or random options. If fonts are missing and the system switches to a missing font the screens won’t show anything. Until the new feature is released, a better method is to overwrite any font files you dont like and dont want to use with a font you do want to use.

#216 4 days ago

How does the system know what fonts are on the SD card? If I add a custom font, does it get cataloged such that if I delete it later it causes problems?

Update: Built two more displays today. The pin 11-12 short works as expected for the millions digit on classic Stern, so that's fixed. I had a problem with one of the FPC socket locks. I was trying to pop it open to install the display cable and it broke off. Fortunately, I was able to install the cable and lock it with the broken piece, but just wanted people to know these are delicate and care should be taken when unlocking them.

#217 4 days ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

How does the system know what fonts are on the SD card? If I add a custom font, does it get cataloged such that if I delete it later it causes problems?
Update: Built two more displays today. The pin 11-12 short works as expected for the millions digit on classic Stern, so that's fixed. I had a problem with one of the FPC socket locks. I was trying to pop it open to install the display cable and it broke off. Fortunately, I was able to install the cable and lock it with the broken piece, but just wanted people to know these are delicate and care should be taken when unlocking them.

If the sd card is present the system expects there to be 21 sets of 10 font files ie 210 files numbered 0-209. So if you want to add a custom set, choose a set you don’t want to use. eg if you don’t like font 13. and want to replace it with a different font, the files are 130 to 139.jpg

The system will work without an sd card. but then only the rendered fonts 21-60 are available. these are the 7-segment and “dot” styles.

#218 4 days ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

If the sd card is present the system expects there to be 21 sets of 10 font files ie 210 files numbered 0-209. So if you want to add a custom set, choose a set you don’t want to use. eg if you don’t like font 13. and want to replace it with a different font, the files are 130 to 139.jpg
The system will work without an sd card. but then only the rendered fonts 21-60 are available. these are the 7-segment and “dot” styles.

You can create a simple .bat file to help rename font sets:

@echo off
echo Batch Script to copy font files
echo For font set "0" leave blank DO NOT enter 0 - it wont work.
echo
set /p input= Copy From Font no.
echo Input is: %input%
set /p output= Copy To Font no.
echo output is: %output%
pause
copy %input%0.jpg %output%0.jpg
copy %input%1.jpg %output%1.jpg
copy %input%2.jpg %output%2.jpg
copy %input%3.jpg %output%3.jpg
copy %input%4.jpg %output%4.jpg
copy %input%5.jpg %output%5.jpg
copy %input%6.jpg %output%6.jpg
copy %input%7.jpg %output%7.jpg
copy %input%8.jpg %output%8.jpg
copy %input%9.jpg %output%9.jpg

put the .bat file in the same folder as your image files and double click it - a window should open and prompt you to enter the from and to.

A copy of this batch file is called renamer.bat and is on the shared folder under software/utilities/copy image font sets/

#219 4 days ago

Create your own splash screens:
For 6 Digit Display games: You need 6 jpegs. splash1.jpg to splash6.jpg
For 7 Digit Display games: You need 7 jpegs. splash0.jpg to splash6.jpg

The best way to cut up an image into 6 or 7 parts:
For 6 digit displays, resize your image to 810 pixels wide X 240 pixels high
For 7 digit displays, resize your image to 945 pixels wide X 240 pixels high

Cut into 6 or 7 parts using this very handy tool:
https://www.imgonline.com.ua/eng/cut-photo-into-pieces.php

download the zip file, unzip and rename the 6 or 7 images to splash1.jpg, splash2.jpg, etc.

For the Credit/Match/Ball-in-play display, it's best to create a single image of size 135 X 240 pixels. Make copies of it as splash1.jpg to splash6.jpg.

#220 2 days ago

I finished assembling the displays and tested them in Star Gazer, Quicksilver and Xenon.

The 7-digit displays work perfectly. The credit/match display works perfectly in Xenon, but not in the classic Sterns. In the Sterns, the splash screen would come up, but would not clear, no matter if the display was set for 6-digits, 7-digits or credit/match.

I haven't tried the new firmware yet, I'm still using the original SD card content as shipped.

#221 2 days ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I finished assembling the displays and tested them in Star Gazer, Quicksilver and Xenon.
The 7-digit displays work perfectly. The credit/match display works perfectly in Xenon, but not in the classic Sterns. In the Sterns, the splash screen would come up, but would not clear, no matter if the display was set for 6-digits, 7-digits or credit/match.
I haven't tried the new firmware yet, I'm still using the original SD card content as shipped.

Ok, if you can upgrade the CMBIP display to the latest firmware please. V4.15a. We made a change to support BSOS o/s which possibly will also help with the way the stern game code works.

#222 1 day ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

Ok, if you can upgrade the CMBIP display to the latest firmware please. V4.15a. We made a change to support BSOS o/s which possibly will also help with the way the stern game code works.

Upgraded the firmware, but unfortunately, no change to the credit/match behavior.

#223 1 day ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Upgraded the firmware, but unfortunately, no change to the credit/match behavior.

if you start a game does it do anything?
What would it normally display - no of credits? and maybe a zero for ball in play?

I have a software utility which will grab the score data coming to the display and saves it to sd card, if you could please install and run that. it’s called grabber, under the software/utilities folder on the shared drive. read me file gives instructions. it will create a file called logfile.txt on the sd card. if you can email that to me please.

#224 1 day ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

ps did you remember to change the display back to “credit match” - it won’t work if set to “6 digit” or “7 digit”

#225 22 hours ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

if you start a game does it do anything?
What would it normally display - no of credits? and maybe a zero for ball in play?
I have a software utility which will grab the score data coming to the display and saves it to sd card, if you could please install and run that. it’s called grabber, under the software/utilities folder on the shared drive. read me file gives instructions. it will create a file called logfile.txt on the sd card. if you can email that to me please.

Ran the grabber utility and sent you the logfile.

#226 14 hours ago

Thanks. it appears the stern game code puts out less data than the bally game code for the CMBIP display.

I’m going to amend our software so that It’s “less fussy” with respect to the data it receives from the game for the CMBIP, and hopefully this will solve the problem.

I need a couple of days to test the changes in a variety of my different Bally games, to ensure i’ve not broken anything, and then I can put out a trial release for the stern games.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Washington, KY
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 169.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball
Boards
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Carlsbad, CA
There are 226 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!