Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by TZ
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Stern_MPU_009_(resized).JPG
    Stern_MPU_007_(resized).JPG
    Stern_MPU_006_(resized).JPG
    Stern_MPU_005_(resized).JPG
    Stern_MPU_004_(resized).JPG
    Stern_MPU_003_(resized).JPG
    Stern_MPU_002_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TZ.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I'm trying to troubleshoot a Stern MPU-100. The LED is locked on and most of voltages check out, but the TP6 measures .2vdc.

My fully working Bally -35 has a TP6 that measures 11.70vdc. I can't find much info on what it should measure. Should I care about this? Could this be a symptom of the problem or should I focus on the other more common culprits?

#4 7 years ago

It does have minimal acid damage. All the traces check out though. Pin 40 is high, 5vdc.

#6 7 years ago

Acid damage was cleaned and suspect components were desoldered, tested and re-installed (just a few were affected). New 5101 chip installed using sockets (all traces check out).

I noticed that the new ROMs installed are cooking! You can't touch them - doesn't seem right. I modified the board to use two 2732s per clays guide. I do not know if the board worked previously or not since I did not have any ROMs for it.

#9 7 years ago

Maybe these will help?

Stern_MPU_002_(resized).JPGStern_MPU_002_(resized).JPG

Stern_MPU_003_(resized).JPGStern_MPU_003_(resized).JPG

Stern_MPU_004_(resized).JPGStern_MPU_004_(resized).JPG

Stern_MPU_005_(resized).JPGStern_MPU_005_(resized).JPG

Stern_MPU_006_(resized).JPGStern_MPU_006_(resized).JPG

Stern_MPU_007_(resized).JPGStern_MPU_007_(resized).JPG

Stern_MPU_009_(resized).JPGStern_MPU_009_(resized).JPG

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

did you install the ROMs in the right direction? If you install them backwards they will heat up.

Well that helped - thanks! They were upside down (not sure why the labels are upside down when installed correctly?).

Unfortunately not much has changed - LED still locked on.

#17 7 years ago

Definitely my bad. I know better and just didn't pay attention when I installed them. Thanks for the help. I still think the board is worth trying to save so I will order a couple more and pay better attention this time. Lesson learned.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TZ.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-stern-mpu?tu=TZ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.