(Topic ID: 163953)

Bally / Stern MPU boot issue

By TZ

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TZ.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I need help getting MPU to boot. Reset section works OK, but I can't get U9 pin 5 to pulse (CPU won't run).

I have been troubleshooting per Clay's guide and have reached the point where the CPU is not running, pin 5 = low on my logic probe. I have swapped in a couple of different 6802's with no help. I am going to replace the socket hoping that will help; not sure what else to try....

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

oh and the 6802 CPU is not going to work too. must be 6800

Good to know.

I will find a known working 6800 and test again. I can remove the socket and solder in some new machined sockets, but I really don't think that is the issue since it is factory and has not been disturbed.

#5 7 years ago

I pulled all of the chips except for U9 and U11. I put in a good U9 (6800) from a working machine. Now U9 pin 5 remains High. Clock pins 3, 36, and 37 pulse. I'm guessing next step is re-socket U9?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TZ.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-stern-mpu-boot-issue?tu=TZ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.