Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

startcoin_(resized).jpg
microcoin_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

My Bally Flip Flop was working fine. I would put a Quarter into the coin chute, 1 'knock' and credit added to the credit wheel. Press Start Button, game resets and sends ball out into shooter lane. Now, quarter into coin shoot still adds 1 credit BUT, pressing start button does nothing. As though the machine was unplugged. But the machine IS plugged in and the wires are still connected to the switches on the start button. Game just remains in Game Over as indicated on Backglass. ???? Any direction would be appreciated. I do have the Schematic.

#2 7 years ago

I would make sure the micro switch on the button is actually being depressed. Also test the switch itself to make sure it has not gone bad.

#3 7 years ago

Thanks. Photos attached. The micro switch I see at the bottom of the coin door does function. When a quarter is dropped through the coin chute it trips the wire on the micro switch and adds a credit to the credit wheel. The switch blades on the Start Button (top of the coin door) are clean and making contact but does not start the game.

microcoin_(resized).jpgmicrocoin_(resized).jpg

startcoin_(resized).jpgstartcoin_(resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago

Just tried manually de-energizing the Game Over interlock relay to get the game out of Game Over mode. Result: Game Over light and Match Number light in backbox went OFF. It appears as it should when starting a new game. EXCEPT, ball was NOT ejected into shooter lane, nor is there an indication of Ball in Play on the back glass (should show Ball 1).

#5 7 years ago

Reseat all of the Jones plus (inteconnectors) in your machine.

#6 7 years ago

Hi pinbrick
I refer to: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-game-over-interlock-relay-wont-pull-in-when-starting-game#post-3065127 - I don't want to post the same JPG in here. Do NOT read the "text THERE" - I will write here and make references "JPG-there".

You want to start a new game - You press the "Credit-Button" --- see JPG-there, "orange stuff", many switches that can be faulty.
I would like to narrow-down on the problem. Once the pin gets to "now lets start and do reset": COIN-RELAY pulls-in ---
Please try: Push onto the "armature / anchor-plate" on COIN-Relay --- what happens ? (The pin should start a new game. Greetings Rolf

#7 7 years ago

Hi Rolf,
Thank you for reply. I tried as you suggested; pushing onto armature on COIN-Relay resulted in activating Score Motor Cams. Game did not start, nor did ball eject from Outhole.

#8 7 years ago

Hi pinbrick
see JPG-there - marked "light-blue": You manipulated the Coin-Relay to be "pulled-in" - Switch on Coin-Relay is closed and so the Score-Motor makes a turn.

To the right of this - more marked light-blue: The Score-Reels have some points*** on the Reels - one or more of the 16 switches is / are closed, Switch on Game-Over-Relay*** is closed, Reset-Relay will be activated and establishes "Self-Hold-Current through "marked dark-blue".
This does not work in Your pin, so try: Push onto the "armature / anchor plate" of Reset-Relay. Does the pin start the game / reset ?

The Score-Reels have some points***: A fully functioning pin DOES start a new game with ALL 16 Score-Reels beeing at Zero-Position --- when troubleshooting I like to have some points on the Score-Reels to clearly see and hear: The pin does reset. So I suggest: ALWAYS put some points on "one or two of the Score-Reels of player-1".

Switch on Game-Over-Relay***: The schema is drawn in a specific state*** - during start-up / playing many of the switches are moved - and moved back - maybe moved again and on and on --- we must think into the schema "where are we now in the lifetime of a game" - is this and this switch at the very moment "open or closed". When we start a game: Switch on Game-Over-Relay*** is closed.

Schema drawn in a specific state*** - on "Bally / Gottlieb / Williams pins": A game for ONE player has been started, reset is done, ball is kicked over to the Shooter-Alley ready to play (ball is not launched, no points are made), Line-Cord is UNPLUGGED - NO CURRENT in the pin, so simple relays do not pull. BUT
during a reset: Game-Over-Relay is moved - it is "latched / untripped" --- and unplugging the Line Chord has no effect on the Game-Over-Relay - it stays latched (ready to play).
WE WANT to start a game - WE WANT the Game-Over-Relay tripped and so Switch on Game-Over-Relay*** closed.

Want to try ?: Do Your tests twice - one time the Game-Over-Relay in state "A, tripped" - then the same test(s) with the relay beeing in state "B, latched" - You simply fumble / press on the anchor-plates before You do the same test ...
Greetings Rolf

#9 7 years ago

Rolf, Thank you. Performed tests as you suggested. 1) Manually added points to all four score reels (none in zero score) 2) Game-Over-Relay in state B, latched. 3) Deposited quarter into coin slot, one credit added. 4) pressed Start Button, reset begins. 5) Score reels reset ONLY on Player 1 and Player 2. 6) Game continues to reset, Bonus Unit, Score Motor and Game-Over-Relay energized and will not stop. 7) Game-Over-Relay will not re-latch while this is occurring. Must unplug line cord to stop.

#10 7 years ago

Broken relay - reset scores 3 and 4.
Reset contacts on scoremotor have a to great gap and not making contact?
Contacts are on one of the 5 step discs on the scoremotor.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-start-button-does-nothing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.