View topic image gallery

20220416_130125.jpg
20220411_132154 (resized).jpg
20220411_132019 (resized).jpg
20220411_131935 (resized).jpg
20220411_131911 (resized).jpg
StarTrek_SwitchMatrix_Capacitors.jpg
switch_with_missing_component (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Quench.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinslot:

I compared it with the outer two targets and noticed that a round ceramic capacitor* is missing. (See photo). Could this be the reason why the switch is so reluctant to work?

Yes the missing capacitor is absolutely the likely cause of the problem of missed fast hits of the target switch.

These capacitors often fail by going short circuit and cause other problems in the switch matrix. Operators simply cut them out to get the games back up and running but fast hits will sometimes be missed.

Install a 0.047uF 50V capacitor.

The purpose of the capacitor is to extend the amount of time that switches appear as closed between MPU board scans of the switch matrix to avoid very fast switch closure/releases from being missed.
The capacitors are only installed on switches that can activate and release at very high speed such as target switches, pop bumper switches and some rollover switches where the ball can travel very fast over them.

The switch matrix schematic in the manual shows which switches should have capacitors installed.

StarTrek_SwitchMatrix_Capacitors.jpgStarTrek_SwitchMatrix_Capacitors.jpg

3 years later
#10 2 years ago
Quoted from John-H:

What did I do wrong? Is there anything else I can do? I *think* I put the capacitors in place just like they appear in the picture in this thread.

Post some pictures of how and where you've soldered the capacitors. Also a picture showing the capacitor value.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from John-H:

Here are some pics

I don't see the capacitance value listed on any of the pictured capacitors.
In any case, those are electrolytic capacitors and they don't make them in the low 0.047uf value required in this application. I'm guessing by their physical size you probably have 47uf capacitors or higher which is 1000 times greater than required in this circuit and not suitable.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
New Brighton, PA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gilbert, AZ
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Quench.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-star-trek-target-only-scores-occasionally?tu=Quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.